Single Malt prices on Breakaway

dbrown84

For anyone that recently competed a cruise (or those soon to be cruising), I"m looking for the prices of single malt Scotch in the gift shop (specifically Macallan, Glenfiddich, or Glenlivet).  12 Year is fine, but if you know the price of 18 yr, that would be nice to have, too.  I'm thinking of doing a B2B on the breakaway in May and I may buy a bottle or two during the first cruise, which I should get delivered on the last night.  i'll then have it to drink during the 2nd cruise.

No idea the prices, but that's a pretty brilliant idea. Are you sure they don't check that it's a B2B and then hold the bottles until completion of the 2nd cruise?

Good luck though, hope it works out. And realistically, you know the prices will be decent compared to menu price ordering at the bars. 

1 hour ago, MNcruisingcouple said:

I am curious how this strategy works.  We are doing a B2B next January and could upgrade to premium  plus on first cruise and buy some decent Scotch for the second week.  That is the main reason I upgrade.

This is how it works - - -

You do not have to purchase any beverage package to shop the Duty Free store - - -

During the first leg of the B2B cruise you visit the Duty Free Liquor shop and browse for what

meets your expectation - you can make a purchase at that time or wait until the last day and

make the purchase then (only problem the shop running out of what you would like).

In any event purchase that liquor by the last night of the cruise -

The liquor is held until the last night of the cruise and - - - you go the DF shop and pick it up.

Take it to your cabin or you could even drink it right then and there - - -

Your cabin attendant will furnish all the glasses and ice for your drink - but none of the

mixers - probably a non-event you are looking at very high end scotch !

Since in most cases of B2B you are staying in the same cabin just stash it away in your cabin

for celebrating on the second leg - don't leave it out as on the B2B change-over day as 

someone passing your cabin - the cabin door is open for the cabin attendant who hasn't

cleaned yet and think of it as abandoned or a gift to the cabin attendant.

The cruise lines maybe getting smart to this and if the purchase is logged into B2B cruise

the pick-up time will be the last night of the 2nd leg -

You might candidly ask the DF liquor clerk if you can pick-up your purchase early and take

it ashore as a gift to someone in that port - the response may give you the answer.

Side note compare the pricing in advance - comparing liter bottles to fifths - I don't believe

that there are any 1.75 liter or something classed or close to a magnum.

Know what alternatives would be acceptable if the DF store is out of stock - - -

Good Luck

This might change before you cruise, but someone just posted that they are making B2B pack up and leave the ship. Get tested again and the re-board. That might mean they will take your bottles till end of the 2nd.

Yes you could leave them in your Cabin and tip to make sure they stay there. Just hope you don't test positive and can't get back on the ship.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

This is how it works - - -

You do not have to purchase any beverage package to shop the Duty Free store - - -

During the first leg of the B2B cruise you visit the Duty Free Liquor shop and browse for what

meets your expectation - you can make a purchase at that time or wait until the last day and

make the purchase then (only problem the shop running out of what you would like).

In any event purchase that liquor by the last night of the cruise -

The liquor is held until the last night of the cruise and - - - you go the DF shop and pick it up.

Take it to your cabin or you could even drink it right then and there - - -

Your cabin attendant will furnish all the glasses and ice for your drink - but none of the

mixers - probably a non-event you are looking at very high end scotch !

Since in most cases of B2B you are staying in the same cabin just stash it away in your cabin

for celebrating on the second leg - don't leave it out as on the B2B change-over day as 

someone passing your cabin - the cabin door is open for the cabin attendant who hasn't

cleaned yet and think of it as abandoned or a gift to the cabin attendant.

The cruise lines maybe getting smart to this and if the purchase is logged into B2B cruise

the pick-up time will be the last night of the 2nd leg -

You might candidly ask the DF liquor clerk if you can pick-up your purchase early and take

it ashore as a gift to someone in that port - the response may give you the answer.

Side note compare the pricing in advance - comparing liter bottles to fifths - I don't believe

that there are any 1.75 liter or something classed or close to a magnum.

Know what alternatives would be acceptable if the DF store is out of stock - - -

Good Luck

You do realize that cruise lines have their little spies that check out these blogs right ? Cruisers in the know, don't share this information on cruise critic. Please keep this in mind. Future cruisers will figure things out as they cruise and talk to fellow passengers. Thanks.😬

41 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

please keep shutting the F up in mind the next time you see a post of mine.  

You sure are a class act. Definitely not the brightest light bulb out there. Unbelievable. If I didn't put you in your place, I'm sure someone else would of. You should DELETE your posts, if you still can, and in the future, keep your secrets to yourself, and stop MESSING it up for everyone else. Thank You. 

13 hours ago, rick160158 said:

You sure are a class act.

You DO realize that the person you quoted that asked you to mind your own business was the OP of the thread, NOT the person that your tirade regarding the giving of the secrets was about, right?  

13 hours ago, rick160158 said:

Definitely not the brightest light bulb out there

pot.. meet kettle...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, smplybcause said:

I know I've read recently where someone planned to do this but it was held to the end of the second leg. If it wasn't here it was on the royal board.

I've read this on here as well and not too long ago.  I think if it were me, I'd just order the bar setup pre cruise and be able to enjoy it right from the beginning but that's just me.  

• Like 1

The Duty Free shops don't usually post in the ships newspaper the prices but there maybe

flyers ads to specials - - -

Selection is not the same for all ships - - -

Someone just getting off one of the ships could or maybe would have taken photos of

selections available and any label pricing - - -

Shop the D F shop early on and check the selection - ask the crew if they anticipate 

a run on the inventory of what you are looking for - decision to buy NOW or wait - - -

Realize the inventory is the common popular liquor items and a few select ones - - -

It is not so much a high end liquor store !

Remember if traveling by air to home - you can't take it on board the flight (carry-on) -

must be in checked luggage - PACK and cushion it well - keep glass bottles separated !

• Like 2

12 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

The Duty Free shops don't usually post in the ships newspaper the prices but there maybe

flyers ads to specials - - -

Selection is not the same for all ships - - -

Someone just getting off one of the ships could or maybe would have taken photos of

selections available and any label pricing - - -

Shop the D F shop early on and check the selection - ask the crew if they anticipate 

a run on the inventory of what you are looking for - decision to buy NOW or wait - - -

Realize the inventory is the common popular liquor items and a few select ones - - -

It is not so much a high end liquor store !

Remember if traveling by air to home - you can't take it on board the flight (carry-on) -

must be in checked luggage - PACK and cushion it well - keep glass bottles separated !

yes, this is why I'll be following the threads to see if anyone has experience lately as to whether they keep your liquor until the last night of the 2nd cruise.  I never check bags, so I would have to to get any liquor back home.  Of course, I could drink the whole bottle on the last night :)

On 2/6/2022 at 4:12 PM, dbrown84 said:

For anyone that recently competed a cruise (or those soon to be cruising), I"m looking for the prices of single malt Scotch in the gift shop (specifically Macallan, Glenfiddich, or Glenlivet).  12 Year is fine, but if you know the price of 18 yr, that would be nice to have, too.  I'm thinking of doing a B2B on the breakaway in May and I may buy a bottle or two during the first cruise, which I should get delivered on the last night.  i'll then have it to drink during the 2nd cruise.

I cannot answer your question, but I have to say you do have good taste in scotch!😎

Doug

• Like 1