Portugal Covid Entry Requirements

jrmuk

This is the most clear and accurate information I can find on entering Portugal from UK (and it is the same for Canadian travelers). No Covid test needed if fully vaccinated:

https://www.ca.kayak.com/travel-restrictions/portugal?origin=GB

As far as I can tell Seabourn is not requiring anyone be tested for Covid before arriving in Portugal (despite the ambiguous language in the outdated doc linked below referring to tests before "arrival and boarding"). As things currently stand, testing prior to arrival is only applicable to unvaccinated people entering Portugal (this is a Portuguese requirement) and Seabourn will administer a rapid antigen test at the terminal prior to boarding and won't let you board if you test positive:

https://media.hollandamerica.com/Seabourn/Protocols/Canary_Islands/Canary_Islands.pdf

You need to check on several requirements before leaving your country and those requirements will change as needed.   First VISA, if required, it’s not likely to change, then COVID Vaccination, also not likely to change.   The requirement that will continue to change is COVID test requirements.   The two days before cruise is two calendar days, No earlier than Friday for a Sunday cruise as an example.   On our 1/30 cruise we were also tested at the pier.   We have only heard of two cases on board.

We're about to travel on a Seabourn cruise in the Caribbean, departing from St. Maarten. That country no longer requires any Covid test for people arriving into the country for those who are vaccinated an boosted. Nonetheless, Seabourn is requiring passengers to present a PCR test in three days prior to embarkation. (They will also do a rapid antigen test at the pier as a "second layer of protection.")

Although the language on Seabourn's travel requirements page for the Caribbean confusingly conflates Seabourn's policy and the country's policy, my travel agent yesterday talked to Seabourn and confirmed that even though the country may not require us to be tested, Seabourn is enforcing the requirement of a PCR test within three days. I don't know if they are applying the same rules for Portugal, but I suspect they might be. I suggest checking with Seabourn directly to clarify what rules they are applying this week. 😉

I think SB learned a hard lesson based on Ovation's holiday cruise in December.  For that cruise (and the one prior), while pre-cruise covid testing was required, there was no pre-boarding test at the pier because Florida didn't require that.  Consequently, well over 150 guests would go on to test positive and be quarantined during that cruise, along with many crew members.  (I believe things are looking up now that omicron is starting to wane, but the pandemic is far from over.)

Edited by sfvoyage
  • Like 1

@sfvoyage The problem with the Ovation holiday cruise was that they didn't do the antigen test at the pier in Miami. It wouldn't have caught all the cases, but it would have caught some of them and prevented those people from coming aboard and spreading it to others.

I agree that Seabourn learned a lesson from that, and they have stated they will do testing at the pier in both St. Maarten and Portugal. What's confusing is that they are also requiring a prior PCR test. It seems they are saying that while the antigen test might help them catch someone who just recently became infected, it's not as reliable as people having a PCR test a few days earlier.

Or here's the more likely explanation: they don't want people showing up to the pier and testing positive, because then Seabourn then has to spend money to pay for the passengers isolating in a hotel and then to pay to get the passengers back home. By requiring the PCR test in advance, they are weeding out most people who test positive for Covid before they travel, so they aren't on the hook for additional expenses.

14 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

@sfvoyage The problem with the Ovation holiday cruise was that they didn't do the antigen test at the pier in Miami. It wouldn't have caught all the cases, but it would have caught some of them and prevented those people from coming aboard and spreading it to others.

Yes, that's what I said in my previous post.

Regarding PCR tests, it's better to require that rather than a rapid antigen test anyway for pre-cruise requirement.  A positive rapid test result needs to be confirmed with a PCR test (or perhaps extra rapid tests, depending on the protocol the authorities feel comfortable with), which is the definitive test.  (I once had a false positive rapid antigen test and luckily got a negative PCR test result on the same day.)

At the dock, it's not as feasible for cruise lines to do PCR tests for everyone due to the cost and time involved (rapid PCR tests take 30 minutes, as I was told by a SB doctor), so they mostly do the PCR to confirm a positive rapid antigen test in required.

All - i am on the 3/22 sailing from lisbon and, maybe, Seabourn will try to be more clear/specific in their next update on exactly what is required.  In all likelihood more will also change in the next 30 days, which could be loosening or tightening of requirements, so i will remain flexible for right now. 

In my case, i will actually be arriving from the USA two days before the departure date and will therefore need to get tested upon my arrival to meet the Seabourn requirement ( in addition to the testing i will need to enter Portugal!). I will be scheduling an Antigen Test upon arrival in Lisbon Airport . 

Note that the Seabourn requirement is NOT limited to a PCR test.  See below from the Seabourn Website as it clearly indicates that Rapid ANTIGEN tests are acceptable

What types of COVID-19 tests are accepted?
Guests must be tested with a medically observed SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT).

Antigen tests include:

• Rapid antigen test
  • Viral antigen test
  • Antigen Chromatographic Digital Immunoassay
  • Antigen Chemiluminescence Immunoassay
  • Antigen Lateral Flow Fluorescence

NAAT include:

• PCR - Polymerase chain reaction
  • RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR
  • Quantitative PCR (qPCR)
  • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP) test
  • Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA) test
  • Molecular test or molecular diagnostic test
  • Isothermal amplification
  • Droplet Digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR)
  • Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)

PS - i also spoke to a - i believe - knowlegeable representative at Seabourn who confirmed that Seabourn's current "return to service" protocols require the "2 day prior test" FOR ALL SAILINGS even though this is not crystal clear in the pamphlet they have posted and sent to booked pasengers.  To see this you need to review the "return to service FAQ" section and combine the referenced requirement with the caution about passengers who arrive without the required testing ( the $100 testing that will be done), which alos references the 2 day test requirement. 

Hope this helps.

On 2/10/2022 at 7:25 PM, claudiaYVR said:

As far as I can tell Seabourn is not requiring anyone be tested for Covid before arriving in Portugal (despite the ambiguous language in the outdated doc linked below referring to tests before "arrival and boarding").

Claudia, I think you’re right and I have consequently moved my pre-cruise lateral flow test from next Friday to March, when I’m due to go to Italy. The key as far as I can see is that under the heading ‘Embarkation’ Seabourn specifically mentions a negative test requirement for cruises from the US and the Caribbean, but does not require this under the same heading for Portugal. The testing  FAQs and the $100 fine are not applicable to Portugal. Well …. we’ll find out soon one way or the other…. . BTW, are you sure  you don’t need a test coming from Canada? I thought the EU recently took Canada off the reciprocal vaccination list - but I could well be wrong.

NEW (as of the last day or so) - Portugal has removed Canada (together with Argentina and Australia) from the list of countries from which people can travel for non-essential purposes.

I'm flying to Lisbon next Thursday to board the Encore on the 19th. I called Seabourn and they knew nothing about it and since it's Friday evening I won't hear from them until sometime Monday.

Any others affected by this have any more info?

10 hours ago, blueexpedition29 said:

Note that the Seabourn requirement is NOT limited to a PCR test.  See below from the Seabourn Website as it clearly indicates that Rapid ANTIGEN tests are acceptable

You're correct... for the Portugal cruises. Inexplicably, Seabourn's requirement for Caribbean cruises is different: we need a PCR test.  Why would they allow an antigen test for Portugal but require a PCR test for St. Maarten?

Furthering the confusion is that on that Portugal page, it lists 9 different types of nucleic (NAAT) tests, including the so-called "gold standard" RT-PCR. But for St. Maarten, the only thing stated is "Standard (non-rapid) PCR Test". What the heck do they consider standard? We have lined up a location which will require a two-hour round-trip the day before our flight to get same-day RT-PCR results. My travel agent says Seabourn will not accept a "rapid" test. But it's a RT-PCR test. Will they really only accept tests which get sent to a distant lab and take 2-3 days to get results? But that would be too old for Seabourn to accept. My TA actually suggested we might want to skip the pre-flight test and just pay Seabourn $150 at the pier for a PCR test. (Oh, and what kind of test would that be? A rapid PCR test!)

Rules are fine. Seabourn deciding to require a test is fine. But their inconsistencies and lack of specificity are confusing, confounding and disappointing. 

@clarandaIt's insane. The EU Council recommendation of January 17 specifically says it is not legally binding and the member states are responsible for implementing it so countries really choose to do their own thing.  Portugal had not adopted it until the last day or so (Spain, for example, has not adopted it so far). The Visit Portugal link provided by Seabourn included Canada on the list of allowed countries until at least February 9 when I last checked.

I did contact the Portuguese Consulate in Vancouver today and this is what they said:

Dear Sir or Madam,

"Due to the pandemic, commercial airspace restrictions can occur without warning and can prevent non-essential travelling.

Canada was removed from the list of countries whose citizens can travel to Portugal for non-essential reasons. This measure is in place until February 28th and could be renewed. 

So, at the moment, Canadians, and permanent residents in Canada, cannot travel to Portugal, except for essential travel.

“Essential travel” is defined as trips allowing the transit, entry into and departure from Portugal for professional purposes, study, family reunions, health and humanitarian reasons and under the reciprocity principle. (https://www.visitportugal.com/en/content/covid-19-measures-implemented-portugal)

It is up to the passenger to proof to his/her/their airline carrier that his/her/their trip is essential. 

If allowed to travel, upon arrival in Portugal the passenger may present himself/herself/themselves at the border to be authorized entry by the Portuguese Immigration authorities."

15 hours ago, claudiaYVR said:

NEW (as of the last day or so) - Portugal has removed Canada (together with Argentina and Australia) from the list of countries from which people can travel for non-essential purposes.

I'm flying to Lisbon next Thursday to board the Encore on the 19th. I called Seabourn and they knew nothing about it and since it's Friday evening I won't hear from them until sometime Monday.

Any others affected by this have any more info?

Oh, Claudia, what a horrible axe to drop at the eleventh hour. Feel for you. Trying to find additional information but it is no different from yours. We are scheduled to leave March 20 th. So would greatly appreciate your posts as things progress. Hope it gets resolved. 

claudiaYVR, there are some discussions on travel boards about possible ways to enter Portugal legally.  Unfortunately, one of those is not flying directly from Canada.  Something to check into is to see if you were to fly from Canada to a EU country that permits Canadians and also has direct flights to Madeira.  Madeira has different regulations in place.  Once you fly to Madeira, it might be possible to legally fly to Lisbon.  Another possibility is to arrive in one of the EU countries and obtain the EU Digital COVID Certificate and then travel to Lisbon either by plane or by land.  

I hope that you make your cruise.

@claranda @Emdee @mariners I spent a few sleepless hours last night. Building on the theme above, I think we can fly to LA and from LA to Lisbon (different airlines) and still get there as planned (day before the cruise).

Even though the email from the consulate refers to Canadians (not where the flight to Portugal is originating from), when I check requirements for the trip on Sherpa (what all the airlines use) indicating it is a Canadian passport holder but vaccinated and departing from the US, then there seems to be no issue.

I'll keep posting. Thanks for your input.

• Like 1

The Portuguese consulate in Vancouver today through their Facebook page.

My question: Is the ban only on Canadians traveling to Portugal from Canada or on any Canadian traveling from anywhere?

Their answer:  the measures apply to Canadians travelling from Canada.

I am based in the UK.

I received this from my TA:

I am emailing you regarding your forthcoming voyage on Seabourn Encore 22nd March 2022.

Since my previous email, Seabourn have been in contact to advise that they are no longer requiring guests to have a Covid test prior to arriving in Portugal.

Seabourn are still strongly advising guests to partake in a test before arriving at the port and leaving for Portugal as if you were to test positive at check-in you will be required to quarantine which Seabourn cannot intervene with, and any financial costs cannot be covered by Seabourn for any mandatory quarantine.

7 minutes ago, longton said:

I am based in the UK.

I received this from my TA:

I am emailing you regarding your forthcoming voyage on Seabourn Encore 22nd March 2022.

Since my previous email, Seabourn have been in contact to advise that they are no longer requiring guests to have a Covid test prior to arriving in Portugal.

Seabourn are still strongly advising guests to partake in a test before arriving at the port and leaving for Portugal as if you were to test positive at check-in you will be required to quarantine which Seabourn cannot intervene with, and any financial costs cannot be covered by Seabourn for any mandatory quarantine.

Me too, I just received the same email so that's one less thing to worry about.

Hopefully the mandatory mask rule may be relaxed soon too.

As a UK resident an identical word for word Email  has come from my T/A   ( who has a similar name to that of a valuable gold coin ).

Good news on the face of it ,but it leaves Seabourn off the hook if you test positive as you will have to go into quarantine in Portugal and have a long conversation with your insurance company to recover the costs

Best get some Lateral Flow Tests for pre travel,  before NHS starts charging for them.

1 hour ago, firsttimers68 said:

Same here! Been using them for a few years now and always excellent service. I was especially pleased to receive the upset email and lucky enough to get a PH Spa suite.

I’ve the same TA too

Did you mean upgrade email? If so how far out did you get if?