The Daily for Tuesday 02/08/2022

richwmn

Today is Boy Scout Day, Opera Day, and Extraterrestrial Culture Day

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect).--Mark Twain

Meal Suggestion for today - Tteokbokki
Drink of the Day - Cruzan Daiquiri
Wine of the Day - Louis Jadot 2019 Beaujolais-Villages Beaujolais
Destination of the Day - New York, New York, US

Ships With Passengers

At Sea Caribbean

Eurodam   Destination Aruba eta 2/9

At Sea Pacific

Koningsdam   Destination Honolulu, HI eta 2/9
Zuiderdam   Destination Panama Canal eta 2/9

Falmouth Jamaica

Rotterdam   08:00 - 17:00

St Georges, GD

Nieuw Statendam  

Ships Without Passengers

At Sea Atlantic

Nieuw Amsterdam   Off Fort Lauderdale

At Sea Mediterranean Sea

Zaandam   Destination Cadiz SP eta 2/9

Cadiz SP

Volendam   Shipyard

Limassol CY

Oosterdam   Anchorage

Long Beach CA US

Westerdam   Anchorage

Port Everglades, Fort Lauderdale FL US

Noordam  

0208World.thumb.png.752b9ff0a31eef9cb3c39b46c349352d.png
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 16

Good morning.  Happy Tuesday.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Interesting days.  A big salute to Boy Scouts.  I've never been to an opera, maybe someday. 🤞Extraterrestrial culture?  I'll put the kettle on.😉

Pausing and reflecting is always important.

I'm not sure about the meal, I'm waiting to see the recipe and pictures.

I'm sure the drink and wine will be tasty.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 34
  • Haha 1

Good morning everyone, rainy here in Boston this morning.  Thank-you for the daily report.  Scouting taught me some very useful skills that still come in handy.  The ballet yesterday, opera today and extraterrestrial culture as well.  I feel so cultured!  I like the quote by Mark Twain.  I’m not sure what today’s meal suggestion is and without looking it up I’m going to guess and say that it’s a Greek dish.  The drink and wine sound nice.  Been to NYC many times both before and after 9/11 and it always fascinates me, so much to experience there. Prayers for all of the folks on our list today.  Cheers to everyone that will be celebrating happy events.  

• Like 32

Good morning everyone. Cool and damp here in North Florida this morning. I was a scout from Cubs through Explorers. I learned many life lessons and mostly stayed out of trouble growing up.😜I used to travel to New York on buying trips. I was always fascinated by the city but ready to fly home by the end of the week. Thanks Rich for the Daily and everyone else for your posts. 

• Like 35

Thank you for the Tuesday Daily.  I'll pass on ET and Opera but salute Boy Scouts who actually are now Scouts USA and all programs are open to both boys and girls.  I think it's been that way in most countries, including Canada, for ages.  A special salute as well to Lord Baden Powell.  I like the Mark Twain quote.  Not an adventurous eater I'll pass on the meal sight unseen but hope many here will love it.  New York was my first modern HAL port (Rotterdam to Rotterdam) in 2011,  @jayhawk66, have you posted on the Daily before.  If not welcome aboard  (ok, I see you've posted before).

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui, dealing with more than should be on anyone’s shoulders
Healing for the Dailyite family

Welfare of furloughed crews
ger_77 DH Cardiac issues and cancelled cruise
Cruisin Terri autoimmune flareup
Numerious dailyite friends and family with covid
From the rotation:
rafinmd recovering from radiation side effects
StLouisCruisers Niece DH undergoing throat cancerr chemo
SrLouisCruiser awaiting MOSE 2/21
Kakalina’s rapid decline

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Several new posters
5 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
Carnival Group  hospital ships Nieuw Amsterdam, Crown Princess, and Queen Victoria
Florida vacation for dobiemom
Good extraction for Dfish
JAM37 shower complete
Durangoscots shelter renovation
5 days for 0106 {Zuiderdam to 2/27)
Cruiser Bill (Koningsdam to 2/20) HighlandCruiser (Nieuw Statendam to 2/13),  Cruising single (Zuiderdam to 2/13) and Lady Hudson at sea (Enchantment OTS to 2/25)
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 14

Thanks for our Tuesday Daily, Rich.

Boy Scouts deserve their day for sure and Opera is fabulous.  Extraterrestrial Culture Day?  Ok, I’ll put another seat at the table and put the kettle on 😉 

Mark Twain’s posts are always so astute and often thought provoking.  I never head of today’s meal so I am looking forward to Debbie’s description.

Amazingly, we have never been to New York.  It was a trip DH really wanted to do that we had planned until covid hit.  Sadly now, it won’t happen.

Another storm coming in today.  Even the weather network admits we are fatigued with it

973F028C-96ED-4355-99DF-A4A8DBFB7AA8.jpeg.5715f91fcefc349d50e1830ee625f046.jpeg

Marley is the only one happy with the mess around here (unless it rains - he despises rain).  Shhh - don’t tell him he’s sick 😆 

B05C1AF4-CFE6-4A74-9D63-B47A944E5B82.thumb.jpeg.47bb55a726e028c4554e17f997f34514.jpeg

A friend sent me this and it gave me a good laugh.  Especially with all my hospital calls.  Hope the video works 🤞 

This one really hit home.  I’m sure it’s true for dog lovers as well as cat lovers (at least it is for me)

E856FAED-EF85-4980-9CCA-2782510DE346.jpeg.b8ff13c1c4f2df0dfc88b25f6f169cea.jpeg

No news on Marley’s latest test but one positive thing is that I have ordered a bag of his prescription dog food.  he is 90% transitioned over to it.  Clinic was very happy to hear he is eating it.  Apparently many dogs won’t.  I confess there was some hand feeding involved for a couple of days.  Not sure when I will have the time or decent enough weather but at some stage, I’ll return his current food.  (II always stocked up as it was hard to get at times with covid shortages and the 2 dogs went through it pretty quickly).

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good Tuesday everyone !!!!!

F4DD8ABC-A65B-4E39-AEB8-092F013C7816.thumb.jpeg.61da611048ee47e9eec15a1f1f2c22bc.jpeg

Stay safe and please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 44
  • Haha 9

Good afternoon.

It is 50°F and raining in North East England today.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

I was in the Sea Scouts in my early teenage years.

Extraterrestrial sightings are interesting and Boswell New Mexico is why today's day is celebrated.

I have never watched opera.

Unusual quote. 

I don't recognise today's food or drink so will look forward to seeing what it is.

We sailed on Explorer of the seas from New York to the Caribbean and back in January 2008.

We stayed 2 nights pre and post cruise in New York visiting several sites including Ground Zero.

It was bitterly cold in New York when we were there.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone they will help.

Take care and stay safe everyone.

Graham.

• Like 40

6 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Tuesday Daily.  I'll pass on ET and Opera but salute Boy Scouts who actually are now Scouts USA and all programs are open to both boys and girls.  I think it's been that way in most countries, including Canada, for ages.  A special salute as well to Lord Baden Powell.  I like the Mark Twain quote.  Not an adventurous eater I'll pass on the meal sight unseen but hope many here will love it.  New York was my first modern HAL port (Rotterdam to Rotterdam) in 2011,  @jayhawk66, have you posted on the Daily before.  If not welcome aboard  (ok, I see you've posted before).

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui, dealing with more than should be on anyone’s shoulders
Healing for the Dailyite family

Welfare of furloughed crews
ger_77 DH Cardiac issues and cancelled cruise
Cruisin Terri autoimmune flareup
Numerious dailyite friends and family with covid
From the rotation:
rafinmd recovering from radiation side effects
StLouisCruisers Niece DH undergoing throat cancerr chemo
SrLouisCruiser awaiting MOSE 2/21
Kakalina’s rapid decline

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Several new posters
5 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
Carnival Group  hospital ships Nieuw Amsterdam, Crown Princess, and Queen Victoria
Florida vacation for dobiemom
Good extraction for Dfish
JAM37 shower complete
Durangoscots shelter renovation
5 days for 0106 {Zuiderdam to 2/27)
Cruiser Bill (Koningsdam to 2/20) HighlandCruiser (Nieuw Statendam to 2/13),  Cruising single (Zuiderdam to 2/13) and Lady Hudson at sea (Enchantment OTS to 2/25)
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

Graham.

• Like 18

9 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thanks for our Tuesday Daily, Rich.

Boy Scouts deserve their day for sure and Opera is fabulous.  Extraterrestrial Culture Day?  Ok, I’ll put another seat at the table and put the kettle on 😉 

Mark Twain’s posts are always so astute and often thought provoking.  I never head of today’s meal so I am looking forward to Debbie’s description.

Amazingly, we have never been to New York.  It was a trip DH really wanted to do that we had planned until covid hit.  Sadly now, it won’t happen.

Another storm coming in today.  Even the weather network admits we are fatigued with it

973F028C-96ED-4355-99DF-A4A8DBFB7AA8.jpeg.5715f91fcefc349d50e1830ee625f046.jpeg

Marley is the only one happy with the mess around here (unless it rains - he despises rain).  Shhh - don’t tell him he’s sick 😆 

B05C1AF4-CFE6-4A74-9D63-B47A944E5B82.thumb.jpeg.47bb55a726e028c4554e17f997f34514.jpeg

A friend sent me this and it gave me a good laugh.  Especially with all my hospital calls.  Hope the video works 🤞 

This one really hit home.  I’m sure it’s true for dog lovers as well as cat lovers (at least it is for me)

E856FAED-EF85-4980-9CCA-2782510DE346.jpeg.b8ff13c1c4f2df0dfc88b25f6f169cea.jpeg

No news on Marley’s latest test but one positive thing is that I have ordered a bag of his prescription dog food.  he is 90% transitioned over to it.  Clinic was very happy to hear he is eating it.  Apparently many dogs won’t.  I confess there was some hand feeding involved for a couple of days.  Not sure when I will have the time or decent enough weather but at some stage, I’ll return his current food.  (II always stocked up as it was hard to get at times with covid shortages and the 2 dogs went through it pretty quickly).

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good Tuesday everyone !!!!!

F4DD8ABC-A65B-4E39-AEB8-092F013C7816.thumb.jpeg.61da611048ee47e9eec15a1f1f2c22bc.jpeg

Stay safe and please don’t forget your 😷 

Loved the memes Jacqui.

Prayers 🙏 for Jose.

Graham.

• Like 23

On way to my BC surgery so a quick post of the drink of the day.

Cruzan Daiquari:

Ingredients:
1 Part Jim Beam
0.5 Part Orange Juice
1 tsp Sugar
1 Orange Wheel
Directions:
Add fresh orange juice and sugar to a tall glass. Stir to dissolve sugar and measure and pour in Jim Beam. Fill glass completely with ice and top with soda water.Stir, garnish and serve.

Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 7.48.14 AM.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 12

Had a very busy day yesterday and missed February 7.  My February 8 sunrise is from the 2020 Crystal World Cruise.  On February 8 we were scheduled for Rarotonga but were unable to tender safely.

dawn0208.jpg

Roy

• Like 34
  • Thanks 8

Good morning from a gray Florida, rain on the way but that's OK because I don't play golf on Tuesdays and we need the moisture. Thanks for The Daily.

I was a Cub Scout and then a Boy Scout, good memories from both.

I've seen 2 operas, La Traviata and Madame Butterfly, enjoyed them both with tears coming to my eyes.

Visited NYC many times but do not care to visit it anymore.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 33

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Thank you for our lists, Roy!

Praying all goes well with your surgery, Dixie, and today’s drink sounds interesting, though I would at least halve the amount of sugar. 

Another murky day here. Even Bindi isn’t interested in doing much walking. Have a Zoom meeting scheduled with my TA to discuss some details of my Alaska trip. Hoping it doesn’t get postponed again. 

The animal series continues….

769C1C2C-3C2E-4979-B7A9-6298C1E4855E.jpeg.5cc81b06b72a5912d98639384170194e.jpeg

D4245FC3-4972-4642-9051-8961E4EF8716.jpeg.f9f03d189871ff4ded5ac837cda05a6d.jpeg

In honor of extraterrestrial culture day…

D3A7A2CE-4049-438A-B6D4-3A033FC94239.jpeg.703e13e4ba0353d0a283d2151dc0acc5.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

This wine’s excellent ratings and price that is hard to beat make me want to try it. Numerous online distributors with prices starting at $7.99! Winemaker Notes

This fruit-forward, juicy wine has expressive aromas and flavors of strawberries and black cherries with spice notes. An ideal pairing for Hors d’oeuvres, mild cheeses or poultry dishes.

WE91 Wine Enthusiast

This dense and fruity wine was made by Burgundy negociant Louis Jadot. Rich cherry fruits have a balance between dry tannins and juicy fruitiness. Drink this ripe wine now. Best Buys

V89 Vinous

Vivid ruby-red. Blue fruits and cherry on the nose, and hints of pungent flowers and baking spices in the background. Fleshy and open-knit, offering jammy boysenberry and cherry flavors that turn spicier with air. Closes smooth and gently spicy, with subtle tannins and a touch of succulent herbs. Best after 2021

• Like 40
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 4

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Yay for scouts, both boys and girls; it's a great program that teaches lifelong skills.  I have seen an opera - The Barber of Seville - thankfully the program held the story line so we could follow along.  I'd like to know what cultures exist extraterrestrially; wouldn't that be interesting?

Another balmy February morning here on the frozen tundra where we're sitting at +3C, which means there will be some settling of the huge drifts along the driveway and sidewalk.  Currently the drift measures about 4' along the drive, which makes it hard to shovel over, so it can settle a good bit today and I'd be happy.  

@kazuanother storm?  Enough already!  I can't imagine having to deal with so many, so close together.  Stay safe!

So many of us on the Daily thread have pets, dogs, cats, birds, and we think so much of them.  A friend sent this to me yesterday that made me giggle, and it might make some of you smile as well.

554611850_Canopener.jpg.568e334db55155ea8e808e4d6a3f51e5.jpg

I've had today's menu suggestion, it's a spicy Korean rice cake.  A number of years ago a delegation of Korean professors came to our university and we were invited to have dinner with them.  They worked all day preparing foods for us, one of the dishes was Tteokbokki.  I was also introduced to kimchi at that time, and really enjoyed it.  For us, however, it's going to be air fried salmon, pan fries and green beans for dinner tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  We'll raise the glasses to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay well, wear your masks, get your boosters, wash your hands, be safe, and stay warm!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 42
  • Thanks 2

Hi Dailyites!

Checking back in with a hello.

It has been a bit since I have posted here but have religiously been reading/lurking everything on a daily basis.

I thoroughly appreciate the daily and consistent efforts by @richwmn and @rafinmd; thank you kind Sirs.

I continue to enjoy everyone's posts; you people continue to be kind, informative and very funny! Love, love, love the port pictures and memes! Very nice people.

As always, prayers for the challenged and struggling. I usually try to celebrate by doing something, even if it is small, every day I am given.

I recently booked the GA voyage in 2024 so I will have to do research on how just to accomplish that with packing etc. Very excited!

Take care all, stay safe and have a great day! 😇

• Like 39

1 hour ago, Mr. Boston said:

Good morning everyone, rainy here in Boston this morning.  Thank-you for the daily report.  Scouting taught me some very useful skills that still come in handy.  The ballet yesterday, opera today and extraterrestrial culture as well.  I feel so cultured!  I like the quote by Mark Twain.  I’m not sure what today’s meal suggestion is and without looking it up I’m going to guess and say that it’s a Greek dish.  The drink and wine sound nice.  Been to NYC many times both before and after 9/11 and it always fascinates me, so much to experience there. Prayers for all of the folks on our list today.  Cheers to everyone that will be celebrating happy events.  

Mr. Boston,  as I am an American with Greek ancestry, I was positive that is not a Greek dish so I cheated and Googled it, it's Korean but my guess would have been Japanese.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Cruzan Daiquari:

Ingredients:
1 Part Jim Beam
0.5 Part Orange Juice
1 tsp Sugar
1 Orange Wheel
Directions:
Add fresh orange juice and sugar to a tall glass. Stir to dissolve sugar and measure and pour in Jim Beam. Fill glass completely with ice and top with soda water.Stir, garnish and serve.

An alternative simple daiquiri recipe.  Daiquiris are traditionally made with rum.  Cruzan is a brand of rum from St. Croix.

INGREDIENTS

2 parts Cruzan Aged Light Rum

1 part Fresh Lime Juice

1/2 part Simple Syrup

INSTRUCTIONS

Combine all ingredients into an ice-filled shaker and shake until well chilled. Strain into a coupe glass over fresh ice.

@summer slopeHope your surgery went well.  Thanks for all the drink recipes you share.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 12

Good morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report.  And thank you everyone for caring and sharing!

When I was a Freshman in high school one of the choir teachers announced the the Lyric Opera in Chicago was looking for people to be a supernumerary. Myself and another fellow went down to the Chicago Opera House one afternoon in 1965 when they were casting. We were both chosen for the second opera of the season which was "Otello" directed by the great Tito Gobbi. I played a townsperson in Act 1 and a Venetian soldier in Act 2. It was a memorable experience!

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 40

Good morning.  The meal sounds interesting, can’t wait to see the recipes.  We have been to New York many times.  My younger DD lives there.  We cruised out of New York on the Eurodam a number of years ago. It was a crazy day as the Pope was in New York that day and our cruise departure time was moved to 10 pm.  The city was pretty much deserted as many businesses shut down for the day.  We were able to spend the day with DD and had dinner at a Greek restaurant with a group of her friends and some of their parents.  We had the waiters choose our food ( it was tapas style) and just keep bringing us food and wine until we told him to stop. We waddled back to the ship and enjoyed a night time sail away with the lights of New York and all New York themed music playing.  It was a magical sail away and a great cruise. 

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

A salute to the Boy Scouts. Never been to the Opera. If we weren't going to be traveling tonight I would suggest to DH that we watch E.T. tonight. (He'd be shocked because it is very rare that I suggest what we watch.)

I agree, the meal sounds Greek so I'll probably like it but will wait for @dfish Debbie's recipes. Good quote by Twain.

This morning DH will load his tools that he will need to work on DMIL's house before the cruise and DD's house afterwards. I will finish packing and tidying up. After lunch I am hoping we get a nap before leaving. We plan to leave at 4:00 to get to the nursing home in Marietta for a scheduled visit with DMIL's cousin, Laurie. (Planning for traffic as it's really only about an hour away. If we get there early we'll probably get a quick dinner.) We are taking her a cell phone so she has a way to communicate with family and friends. We found out while there in December that her daughter took hers and has not visited or been in touch with other family since. The staff confirmed this and said that Laurie is very capable to use a phone. They also made the comment that she doesn't really need to be there. Very sad. Anyway, I didn't really mean to go into all of that but it has been weighing on my heart and I know my friends here will understand. Thank you.

We can visit with her for an hour then we will head to Florida.

Well, I've gone on and bored you all long enough.

@summer slope Dixie thinking of you and hope your surgery goes well.

Wishing you all a terrific Tuesday.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 35
  • Thanks 3