Could travel restrictions finally be easing?

gardenbunny

We have our first Oceania cruise Feb 11.  In addition to a negative test 48 hrs. before boarding, they also test everyone at the pier, no charge.  

However, on their CC page, they have just sent out detailed emails that effective March 1, masks will be optional on board, or unless local jurisdictions in sailing areas required.

And they will no longer test at pier, just bring negative test within 48 hrs. domestic ports, 72 hrs. international.

• Like 3

I would venture to say once Omicron dissipates (and it seems to be burning through the population now) that it will be treated like any other virus.  There will be no need to test at all.  And unless they ask in the future for your flu vaccine they probably get rid of that requirement too.  I am hoping when we cruise next January that there is no test needed, and no mask needed.  At that point, we can start worrying about Noro or pads of butter or how people are dressed on the Formal nights!!

• Like 7
  • Haha 8

19 minutes ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

I would venture to say once Omicron dissipates (and it seems to be burning through the population now) that it will be treated like any other virus.  There will be no need to test at all.  And unless they ask in the future for your flu vaccine they probably get rid of that requirement too.  I am hoping when we cruise next January that there is no test needed, and no mask needed.  At that point, we can start worrying about Noro or pads of butter or how people are dressed on the Formal nights!!

I long for those times again. 🤞🤞🤞😁😁😁

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

NCL just announced this, believe they both

under the same parent company. I am good with vaccine and testing requirements, but would be happy to see the mask requirements eased. I have a feeling that Princess will take a more conservative approach though. 

Edited by Buckeye10640
  • Like 1

You can see the writing on the wall, with blue state governors getting ready to raise mask restrictions, and the White House transitioning to covid as an endemic disease, with responsibility and freedom placed on individuals as to how they handle it. With NCL going back to mask-optional, the pressure will grow on the Carnival brands to do the same. Personally, I just canceled an upcoming Princess cruise because I don't want to deal with masking for myself, to see the poor crew forced to wear N95 masks all day, and the stupidity of dancers in production shows and the outdoor sailaway show wearing masks. My first impulse on hearing of NCLs announcement was to look at an NCL cruise to book for April, and I'm sure that Princess and the other lines realize that they can't keep sailing at 25% capacity and that the easiest way to reverse that is to make indoor masking optional. Politicians are realizing that mask and vaccine requirements, particularly in schools, are a losing issue, that the majority of Americans are fed up with restrictions, and businesses, including cruise lines, are going to have to reverse course too, and treat covid as endemic and have measures in place for those who become sick on a cruise, as they did for norovirus. 

• Like 11

4 hours ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

WHOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!  I am so excited! We are cruising next January and that would make me so happy!!  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rj59 said:

You can see the writing on the wall, with blue state governors getting ready to raise mask restrictions, and the White House transitioning to covid as an endemic disease, with responsibility and freedom placed on individuals as to how they handle it. With NCL going back to mask-optional, the pressure will grow on the Carnival brands to do the same. Personally, I just canceled an upcoming Princess cruise because I don't want to deal with masking for myself, to see the poor crew forced to wear N95 masks all day, and the stupidity of dancers in production shows and the outdoor sailaway show wearing masks. My first impulse on hearing of NCLs announcement was to look at an NCL cruise to book for April, and I'm sure that Princess and the other lines realize that they can't keep sailing at 25% capacity and that the easiest way to reverse that is to make indoor masking optional. Politicians are realizing that mask and vaccine requirements, particularly in schools, are a losing issue, that the majority of Americans are fed up with restrictions, and businesses, including cruise lines, are going to have to reverse course too, and treat covid as endemic and have measures in place for those who become sick on a cruise, as they did for norovirus. 

In Canada, a couple of Provinces are leading the way with easing restrictions, while others will be dragged into it with some resistance.  We'll get there.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, mellon1 said:

WHOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!  I am so excited! We are cruising next January and that would make me so happy!!  

What cruise are you on?  We are doing 10 day Southern Caribbean on the Enchanted departing FLL on 8 January.  Very Excited because we have never been to 4 of the ports.

36 minutes ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

What cruise are you on?  We are doing 10 day Southern Caribbean on the Enchanted departing FLL on 8 January.  Very Excited because we have never been to 4 of the ports.

We were going to do January 8, but it would be too early for me to get everything ready for end of the year, etc. plus we are driving, so two days of driving and didn't know if we had to stay longer due to covid testing, hoping that is a thing of the past.  So, we are doing the trip after yours, which is the 18th.  Please post and let us know how everything is on the ship when you go.  I wish you a wonderful cruise!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mellon1 said:

We were going to do January 8, but it would be too early for me to get everything ready for end of the year, etc. plus we are driving, so two days of driving and didn't know if we had to stay longer due to covid testing, hoping that is a thing of the past.  So, we are doing the trip after yours, which is the 18th.  Please post and let us know how everything is on the ship when you go.  I wish you a wonderful cruise!

I plan to try a "Live" from the Enchanted.  I've never done that before, so it could be interesting.  I guess I can do it from my cell phone and not bother with a laptop.  I'd prefer laptop for typing purposes though.  Question is...with free Wi-Fi can I use both devices?

4 minutes ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

I plan to try a "Live" from the Enchanted.  I've never done that before, so it could be interesting.  I guess I can do it from my cell phone and not bother with a laptop.  I'd prefer laptop for typing purposes though.  Question is...with free Wi-Fi can I use both devices?

On Oceania you can use both devices  just not at the same time  with the 1 free account

Other cruise lines may differ

17 hours ago, rj59 said:

Fed up is putting it mildly.............

• Like 3

18 hours ago, rj59 said:

Princess is not sailing at 25%,  more 40-50% on average even during the Omicron surge. Some a bit higher some a bit lower.  There were some cruises down in the 25% range during Delta.

5 hours ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

I am not sure.  I just got an Iphone this summer as we were supposed to cruise in January 2022, but didn't.  I still have to learn how to use the darn thing.  I will have to search for youtube videos on Princess medallion and the phone.!  LOL

5 hours ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

I think Live (and YouTube) will require the upgraded WiFi package which unlocks streaming (but is not any faster than the basic free package).  It is also  good for one connection, but can be used on multiple devices, just not simultaneously.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

I think Live (and YouTube) will require the upgraded WiFi package which unlocks streaming (but is not any faster than the basic free package).  It is also  good for one connection, but can be used on multiple devices, just not simultaneously.  

Hot spotting works very well if both of you are sitting together. You can also use multiple devices (i.e. one on a smart phone, one on an ipad or laptop). However you are digitally tethered together. If the primary wifi user leaves the room or area the second device will no longer be able to access the wifi. 

Edited by CruiseLibra

9 minutes ago, CruiseLibra said:

Hot spotting works very well if both of you are sitting together. You can also use multiple devices (i.e. one on a smart phone, one on an ipad or laptop). However you are digitally tethered together. If the primary wifi user leaves the room or area the second device will no longer be able to access the wifi. 

If both are actively transmitting and/or receiving, does that double the impact on the ship's bandwidth?

1 hour ago, 1985rz1 said:

If both are actively transmitting and/or receiving, does that double the impact on the ship's bandwidth?

I assume that the ship controls the amount of bandwidth available to any one device logged into the wifi. When hotspotted the two devices share the available bandwidth from the primary user. We used it for basic transactions like email and checking online news and had no problems. However, anything more bandwidth intensive will probably have issues. 

• Thanks 1

I too long to return to normality and hope you all get to enjoy your cruises safely and COVID free.

I have cruised with Princess in the last 4 months , they are cruising from the uk with 70-80% capacity. Absolutely packed. Princess policed masks extremely well and tested everyone at the port. Obviously Princess are a mainline cruise ship and although not what we are used to took COVID seriously. We felt safe.

A lot of cruise ships will head towards Europe in April.

Covid has not disappeared in Europe.
Rules are very different from the USA. Each country has different rules re masks , entry into restaurants and other public places.

Spain will not let you in without a booster if you were fully vaccinated more than 270 days ago.

Italy requires a test within 48 hrs of arrival and will also randomly select passengers arriving by air and test them for COVID. You also need proof of vaccination status  to enter the majority of public places.
Holland still has a 5 day isolation period for travellers, a young relative aged 26 who now works there has to fly home to the uk to see us and France is reviewing their entry requirements soon.

These are just some of the ports I have research for an Easter cruise. 

re Masks

Oceania have added a Clause to their statement ….. dependant on local requirements.

Here in Wales masks are still compulsory everywhere in public. All over 11year olds were masks in schools at all times,

It is rare to see someone walking in a town without one. 

Oceania have decided to pass the “proof of negative result “ on to the passenger. Although I realise this was bound to happen at some stage I believe this is premature and will leave some passengers vulnerable to overcharging at the port before boarding. 

1 hour ago, welshfamily said:

I too long to return to normality and hope you all get to enjoy your cruises safely and COVID free.

I have cruised with Princess in the last 4 months , they are cruising from the uk with 70-80% capacity. Absolutely packed. Princess policed masks extremely well and tested everyone at the port. Obviously Princess are a mainline cruise ship and although not what we are used to took COVID seriously. We felt safe.

A lot of cruise ships will head towards Europe in April.

Covid has not disappeared in Europe.
Rules are very different from the USA. Each country has different rules re masks , entry into restaurants and other public places.

Spain will not let you in without a booster if you were fully vaccinated more than 270 days ago.

Italy requires a test within 48 hrs of arrival and will also randomly select passengers arriving by air and test them for COVID. You also need proof of vaccination status  to enter the majority of public places.
Holland still has a 5 day isolation period for travellers, a young relative aged 26 who now works there has to fly home to the uk to see us and France is reviewing their entry requirements soon.

These are just some of the ports I have research for an Easter cruise. 

re Masks

Oceania have added a Clause to their statement ….. dependant on local requirements.

Here in Wales masks are still compulsory everywhere in public. All over 11year olds were masks in schools at all times,

It is rare to see someone walking in a town without one. 

Oceania have decided to pass the “proof of negative result “ on to the passenger. Although I realise this was bound to happen at some stage I believe this is premature and will leave some passengers vulnerable to overcharging at the port before boarding. 

wait 60 days and everything will change...... "this too shall pass away"    Seems that the rule makers really are winging it.      Who knows what it will be

• Like 2

10 hours ago, calicakes said:

So halfway thru our Feb 23rd cruise we can remove the masks? Cruise debarks on March 5th.

Nope....called Oceania today as our next trip also leaves before the change in protocol...and was told that as our ship sails before 3/1/22...that the masking requirements would still be in place.  Good news for me as I am a cancer patient...not sure that everyone will be as pleased...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

I think he meant “live” like a blog. 

7 hours ago, CruiseLibra said:

I assume that the ship controls the amount of bandwidth available to any one device logged into the wifi. When hotspotted the two devices share the available bandwidth from the primary user. We used it for basic transactions like email and checking online news and had no problems. However, anything more bandwidth intensive will probably have issues. 

More often than not, trying to hotspot will be more trouble than paying the extra bucks for the second account or just trading time on the single account.