Oh No - My passport is expired! Resorting to birth certificate...

Anyone else have an "x-ray" birth certificate?

My birth certificate was fabricated / recreated "back in the day" because I was adopted.  (Even though I now know my birth name and the name of my birth mother, I still cannot access my original birth certificate, as it was sealed due to the archaic adoption laws of the time.)

Anyway, because I'm "of a certain age", my "photocopy" of my birth certificate is like a photo negative or an x-ray.  The printing is white and the background is black.  

And, like others here, I still have the "original copy" (since only the state government has the actual original, and my adoptive parents were only ever given the x-ray verson) on brittle yellow paper.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

My birth certificate was fabricated / recreated "back in the day" because I was adopted.  (Even though I now know my birth name and the name of my birth mother, I still cannot access my original birth certificate, as it was sealed due to the archaic adoption laws of the time.)

Anyway, because I'm "of a certain age", my "photocopy" of my birth certificate is like a photo negative or an x-ray.  The printing is white and the background is black.  

And, like others here, I still have the "original copy" (since only the state government has the actual original, and my adoptive parents were only ever given the x-ray verson) on brittle yellow paper.  

Yup, had those from 1960's, now packed away with my Baby Book. Got newer fancy ones also having raised Seal in 90's. Funny though these newer ones last from last 30+ yrs do not include all the info the "Xray"-Microfiche copies had like birth weight, length, time of birth

Edited by ONECRUISER

8 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Funny though these newer ones last from last 30+ yrs do not include all the info the "Xray"-Microfiche copies had like birth weight, length, time of birth

Try being adopted.  Nobody knows any of that info for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

19 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Yup, had those from 1960's. Packed away with my Baby Book, got newer ones with raised Seal in 90's. Funny though these newer ones last from last 30+ yrs do not include all the info the "Xray"-Microfiche copies had like birth weight, length, time of birth

I have one of those. I think it is from the old "microfilm" used to store documents. When we used to just need a birth certificate for travel to Mexico (and cruises), I just made a photocopy of it and used the county embosser at work. :classic_biggrin: Different County, but nice raised seal. 

I eventually ordered a newer copy of it, and the old black with white letters birth certificate is now simply printed on fancy official, watermarked and embossed county stationery. :classic_biggrin:

Maybe it was microfiche. Mine is funny. It states. Born: On a Farm/Not on a Farm. With a box to check. I was not born on a farm. :classic_biggrin: 

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, SRF said:

Thank you.

He turned 95 yesterday.  And still takes care of himself.

My mom is also 95, turns 96 this year (not a veteran). She lives in her own home by herself in northern NY. Very self sufficient and healthy. She stopped driving when she was 92. Every year she sets the bar even higher for me. Back to topic, she doesn't need a passport as she no longer travels. Speaking of old birth certificates that would be hers. 😁  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, davekathy said:

My mom is also 95, turns 96 this year (not a veteran). She lives in her own home by herself in northern NY. Very self sufficient and healthy. She stopped driving when she was 92. Every year she sets the bar even higher for me. Back to topic, she doesn't need a passport as she no longer travels. Speaking of old birth certificates that would be hers. 😁  

Potentially old enough that there may not have been a birth certificate.

I think my Dad has maintained his passport, even though he doesn't travel.  Even though we have tried.

He still drives (but seldom).  He does have a lady come in every other week to clean.  She vacuums, cleans the bathrooms and the kitchen and changes the bed.  He does the laundry.  She takes the clean linens up and changes the bed and brings the dirty ones down.  He washes them before she comes back.

On 2/9/2022 at 10:17 PM, cruisinfanatic said:

Plenty of states issue without raised seal. Means nothing

My youngest son was born in MD in 1986 and his bc is basically a card with no raised seal, but it's an official one from the state.  He's used it for everything, including getting his passport.  My oldest son was born in VA in 1983 and his bc is a piece of paper with a raised seal (also has passport).  DH's is from NY and it's that x-ray image one.  White printing on black background.  I don't think it has a raised seal either, although his original from 1957 did.  Raised seals were used mainly when bc's were done on a typewriter or early printers before computers became more common.  The seal meant it was "official".  It's much easier to confirm the authenticity than it used to be.

Edited by BND

On 2/9/2022 at 10:16 AM, thomaskuhn said:

Heading out on a cruise fro Port Canaveral in 30 days. I decided to start getting my paperwork together and just discovered that my passport is expired.  It did not even DAWN on my to look.  The rest on my family is good with their passports.  I doubt I can get a renewal in 30 days. I looked and found my birth certificate.  I have both a hospital AND an county one.  From  what I read below:

Official Birth Certificate and a supporting Government Issued Photo ID, like a driver’s license or an identity card. Please note that hospital Birth Certificates (baby feet Birth Certificates) are not accepted.

...I should be good with my FL drivers license and County Birth Certificate.  By Birth certificate is really old original for 1976, will that be an issue?

make sure there is a seal on birth certificate.

On 2/9/2022 at 10:39 AM, thomaskuhn said:

I have JUST ordered a new Birth Cert just to have a new copy.  Should be here in a few days.

i was just going to suggest that!  I had to do the same thing years ago.

Just a suggestion.  When you get your new passport after the cruise, use your phone calendar to put a reminder in 8 months before passport expires.  I have done this for my husband and 5 kids.  Heard way too many stories of expired passports.  I do this for my CPR card, nursing license, TB...  

• Like 1

On 2/11/2022 at 1:02 PM, jean87510 said:

i was just going to suggest that!  I had to do the same thing years ago.

Just a suggestion.  When you get your new passport after the cruise, use your phone calendar to put a reminder in 8 months before passport expires.  I have done this for my husband and 5 kids.  Heard way too many stories of expired passports.  I do this for my CPR card, nursing license, TB...  

Hmm, I hope it transfers to your iPhone 32 over the 10 years. 😄

9 hours ago, brillohead said:

I use my Google calendar, so as long as Google is still around, I'm good.  😉

Better, but you are still betting on it not getting lost during an upgrade.

Maybe set a reminder every year to check it.  Birthday would be a good date to check it, and your DL. 😄

Edited by SRF

3 minutes ago, SRF said:

Better, but you are still betting on it not getting lost during an upgrade.

Maybe set a reminder every year to check it.  Birthday would be a good date to check it, and your DL. 😄

It's saved in my online Google calendar, not just in my phone, so I don't even need my phone at all.  I get daily emails with my calendar items, and reminders in advance for certain things (like my nursing license, CPR certification, Global Entry, etc.) that have to be done ahead of time.

1 minute ago, brillohead said:

It's saved in my online Google calendar, not just in my phone, so I don't even need my phone at all.  I get daily emails with my calendar items, and reminders in advance for certain things (like my nursing license, CPR certification, Global Entry, etc.) that have to be done ahead of time.

I am just saying, that over 10 years with upgrades and changes, your reminders might not carry over that long.

I travel enough now, it is not a huge thing, as I am into them all the time.

But I think I will do a yearly reminder to check all my docs that expire.

Just now, brillohead said:

I may be naive, but I don't see Google's web presence going anywhere anytime soon.

And how were things 10 years ago?

Things change.  In the computer/internet field, they change rapidly.

18 hours ago, brillohead said:

Ten years ago I was using Google calendar, 

18 hours ago, SRF said:

And how were things 10 years ago?

Things change.  In the computer/internet field, they change rapidly.

You do realize that you can access a calendar through other devices other than an IPhone, correct?  I get it you were trying to be snarky but you are arguing into a corner.  

Edit:  answer is not for Brillohead

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, jean87510 said:

You do realize that you can access a calendar through other devices other than an IPhone, correct?  I get it you were trying to be snarky but you are arguing into a corner.  

Edit:  answer is not for Brillohead

My point was, what software were you using 10 years ago?  Or longer?

What makes you so sure that ANY platform will be usable in 10 years?

Not snarky, I have just been in and out of the computer field since before IBM released the PC.  So in micro computers (did mini computers before that) started with CP/M, then DOS 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0/.1/.2/.3/.4, 4.01, 5.0, 6.0.  Then Win 95/98/2000/NT/7/8/10

4 minutes ago, SRF said:

My point was, what software were you using 10 years ago?  Or longer?

What makes you so sure that ANY platform will be usable in 10 years?

Again, I'm pretty sure that web browsers will still be around in the future, too. 

Google products are web-based, not software-based.  Doesn't matter if you're a Windows person, and Apple person, or a Chrome/Android person... they all access the internet.

On 2/14/2022 at 8:34 AM, brillohead said:

Again, I'm pretty sure that web browsers will still be around in the future, too. 

Google products are web-based, not software-based.  Doesn't matter if you're a Windows person, and Apple person, or a Chrome/Android person... they all access the internet.

And how many websites have gone dormant?

Just saying, 10 years is a LONG time in computer terms.  People could get tired of Googles tracking and switch to other platforms.

You will PROBABLY be fine.  BUT ....... 😄