CDC says masks are still required…

BermudaBound2014

According to this article from sea trade the CdC just restated that masks are still required. NCL is scheduled to end mask mandate March 1st and said they are reviewing the newest CdC guidelines.

Royal caribbean also announced today that they are relaxing their mask mandate.

I know that following cdc is now voluntary, but ncl was the first line to agree to voluntarily meet the CDc recommendations. 

This should be Interesting…

6CA9FE64-C154-4706-8B43-40B71BE19710.thumb.png.1260fa8518399f87eb473fc5cd8dde06.png

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/environmental-health/cdc-holds-level-4-cruise-warning-new-voluntary-covid-program-has-booster-facet

Another blow to the industry just as they were starting to eye normality.... thanks to the CDC. Absolutely awful, anti-science "guidelines" that cruise lines will have no choice but to follow.  Any cruise ship that does not voluntarily opt in to the program becomes subjected to the CDC mask order for public transportation which is extremely limiting and probably not possible to implement.  How sad....

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Fredric22 said:

Absolutely awful, anti-science "guidelines" that cruise lines will have no choice but to follow.  

i'm actually really familiar with the CDC guidelines for cruise ships.

which rule do you believe is anti-science?

please don't confuse a temporary drop in cases and hospitalizations with "the science" as it relates to cruise ship travel.

scientists say they have no idea if people can be reinfected by the new BA.2 sub-variant, but they do know that it is more highly transmissible. and it is also more skillful at infecting people who are vaxxed and boosted.

that's what the science says.

• Like 12
  • Haha 10

11 minutes ago, UKstages said:

please don't confuse a temporary drop in cases and hospitalizations with "the science" as it relates to cruise ship travel.

scientists say they have no idea if people can be reinfected by the new BA.2 sub-variant, but they do know that it is more highly transmissible. and it is also more skillful at infecting people who are vaxxed and boosted.

Then by all means... stay home and hide from this very skillful virus!  You just made me laugh.  Anyway, enjoy your next cruise! 

• Like 14

I don't think they are going to opt-in to many of these changes. The one I read and still looking for information is the one about (para-phrasing how I understood it):

If anyone has any symptom of covid (there are about 10,000 symptoms), they must be tested. If positive, they and all close contacts are isolated/quarantined for 10-days on the ship. There is no re-testing for false positives.

6 hours ago, UKstages said:

And the science also tells us it's far less dangerous which is why our government, following the science plan to drop ALL measures in two weeks time including self isolation when infected.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The regulations cited by the chief essentially said that masking was at the discretion of the cruise line.

Don't see it that way.  It says that if the cruise line will continue to adhere to the voluntary CSO, and until such time as the Order of 1/21/21 can be amended, they will give "exercise enforcement discretion" (meaning the decision on masks remains with CDC), as long as all other features of the CSO are adhered to.  And, apparently, the CDC has informed cruise line officials in a briefing, that this mandate will be the default for ships.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Here is what is posted on the CDC website:

"While CDC is exercising its enforcement discretion under CDC’s Mask Order to not require that persons wear a mask under certain circumstances on cruise ships participating in CDC's COVID-19 Program for Cruise Ships, individual cruise lines may require travelers (passengers and crew) to wear masks on board the ship."

I read that as a poorly worded, discretionary recommendation and not a mandate.  If NCL wants to exercise its discretion to make masks optional, that appears to be within their prerogative.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, HuliHuli said:

Here is what is posted on the CDC website:

"While CDC is exercising its enforcement discretion under CDC’s Mask Order to not require that persons wear a mask under certain circumstances on cruise ships participating in CDC's COVID-19 Program for Cruise Ships, individual cruise lines may require travelers (passengers and crew) to wear masks on board the ship."

I read that as a poorly worded, discretionary recommendation and not a mandate.  If NCL wants to exercise its discretion to make masks optional, that appears to be within their prerogative.

And, according to yesterday's article in Sea Trade, linked above, until the ships meet the "vaccination standard of excellence" (95% of pax and crew vaccinated and boosted, and no ship meets this at this time), the ships will be considered "highly vaccinated", and will still require masks, and any ship that is not 95% vaccinated will also require masks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

And, according to yesterday's article in Sea Trade, linked above, until the ships meet the "vaccination standard of excellence" (95% of pax and crew vaccinated and boosted, and no ship meets this at this time), the ships will be considered "highly vaccinated", and will still require masks, and any ship that is not 95% vaccinated will also require masks.

Edited by japit

15 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

According to this article from sea trade the CdC just restated that masks are still required. NCL is scheduled to end mask mandate March 1st and said they are reviewing the newest CdC guidelines.

I know that following cdc is now voluntary, but ncl was the first line to agree to voluntarily meet the CDc recommendations. 

Interestingly according to the CDC's revised color page* only 20 ships are opted in to the program, which I think would only be NCLH of the big lines.  None are listed as opted out, though.  I thought there was a deadline in January to join the program?...

*  Green-Yellow-Orange-Red... finally!!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Karaboudjan said:

Interestingly according to the CDC's revised color page* only 20 ships are opted in to the program, which I think would only be NCLH of the big lines.  None are listed as opted out, though.  I thought there was a deadline in January to join the program?...

Feb 18

1 hour ago, Karaboudjan said:

That is interesting. I do know that NCl was the first to opt in, but with the mask removal I think that means they are opting back out. Truth be told, I haven’t followed all the CDC changes well since it became voluntary.

Are you telling me the CDC finally corrected the color sequence? Hallelujah!! 🙂

43 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

That is interesting. I do know that NCl was the first to opt in, but with the mask removal I think that means they are opting back out. Truth be told, I haven’t followed all the CDC changes well since it became voluntary.

Are you telling me the CDC finally corrected the color sequence? Hallelujah!! 🙂

YES!  From the page:  'The “Orange” and “Yellow” ship colors were reversed for the COVID-19 program to go in a more logical color order.'

I poked around a bit more and as far as I can tell NCL would still be in the program even without masks.  One piece of evidence is this possible step if the CDC is considering assigning Red status to a ship:  'Require mask use by all passengers and crew indoors and crowded outdoor areas.'  That certainly implies that ships not in Red status may not require masks in those settings.

I also don't find any connection between masking and the vaccination classifications.  Those appear to be informational for the public to consider and the Standard of Excellence also allows reduced isolation/quarantining.

Lastly, it looks like Feb 18 is now the opt-in deadline.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

@Karaboudjanthank you!!! I thought I was the only one but that color sequence drove me crazy! It made the CDC look completely incompetent!

On a side note, while We may not always agree on positions I want you to know I always respect and appreciate your input:). 

Likewise.  Unfortunately it seems like many of our debates get deleted mid-thread!  😬  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

6CA9FE64-C154-4706-8B43-40B71BE19710.thumb.png.1260fa8518399f87eb473fc5cd8dde06.png

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/environmental-health/cdc-holds-level-4-cruise-warning-new-voluntary-covid-program-has-booster-facet

This merely is voluntary - merely guidance.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

This is all voluntary now. No requirements. Up to the individual cruise lines.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ChutChut said:

You are incorrect. It is now a voluntary and up to each individual cruise line. Next.

I think you are confusing the Conditional Sailing Order with the CDC transportation face mask order.  Without following the CSO cruise ships operating into or out of the US fall back to the mask order, meaning they are required just like for air travel.

• Like 1

i'm taking a wait and see attitude for March 1.  Things may change again....Look at the states that are going against the CDC recommendations regarding masking as of beginning of March.  Our cruise is in April, and hoping that the mask mandate will disappear by then, but will live with whatever the reality is at the time.  

• Like 1