Princess Announces First-Ever Summer Season From Los Angeles

LACruiser88

February 10, 2022 12:00 PM EST
Princess Cruises Announces First-Ever Summer Season Sailing to Mexico, Hawaii and the California Coast Roundtrip from Los Angeles

SANTA CLARITA, Calif., Feb. 10, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- Princess Cruises, the destination leader based on the west coast, announced a brand new 2022 summer season of cruises roundtrip from the Port of Los Angeles; the line's first ever summer season to Mexico, Hawaii, and the California Coast. Cruises start June 25, 2022, on Sapphire Princess and will take guests on 16 cruises ranging from four to 16 days, including a five-day getaway for the July 4th holiday.

On sale February 16, 2022, the cruise line with the longest history sailing from the Port of Los Angeles, is offering its summer season of sailings, perfect for those looking for convenient cruise vacations onboard Sapphire Princess. The 2,670-guest MedallionClass cruise ship features more than 700 balconies, world-class dining and dazzling entertainment. Plus, guests can choose from a variety of curated shore excursions in every port to soak up the local sights, culture and cuisine.

Sapphire Princess itineraries include:

• NEW Mexican Riviera with La Paz – seven-day cruises with stops in Cabo San Lucas, La Paz and Ensenada. Departure dates: June 25 and September 3, 2022.
  • Mexican Riviera with Puerto Vallarta – seven-day cruises with visits to Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas and Ensenada. Departure dates: July 30 and September 17, 2022.
  • Baja Peninsula & Sea of Cortez – 10-day cruises featuring an overnight stay in Cabo San Lucas with La Paz, Loreto and Puerto Vallarta. Departure dates: September 24 and October 23, 2022.
  • Classic California Coast – seven-day cruises featuring an overnight in San Francisco with San Diego and Ensenada. Departure dates: July 23, August 27 and September 10, 2022.
  • Hawaiian Islands – 15- and 16-day cruises with stops in Hilo, Honolulu, Kauai (Nawiliwili), Maui (Kahului) and Ensenada. Cruise dates: July 7 (16 days), August 11 (16 days), October 4 (15 days) and November 2, 2022 (15 days).
  • West Coast Getaway with San Francisco – five-day cruises featuring San Francisco and Ensenada. Departure dates: July 2 (with late night stay in San Francisco on the 4th of July) and August 6, 2022.
  • West Coast Getaway with San Diego – four-day cruise to San Diego and Ensenada. Cruise departs October 19, 2022.
  •  

A special launch-week offer includes $1 deposits and $50 onboard spending money per person when booked by Feb. 24, 2022 (Offer is valid in United States, Canada and Puerto Rico).

Sapphire Princess offers Princess MedallionClass Vacations which begins with the Medallion™ wearable, a quarter-sized device that enables everything from expedited contactless boarding to locating loved ones anywhere on the ship, as well as enhanced service like having whatever guests need, delivered directly to them, wherever they are on the ship. In addition, guests can share their favorite cruise moments using MedallionNet, the best WiFi at sea, as well as stay connected with friends and family back home, work remotely anywhere on the ship, quickly post content and stream favorite movies and shows. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

7 minutes ago, Tak8 said:

Anyone have thoughts on the Sapphire?  I haven't been on Sapphire yet.  

My DW and I have been on the Sapphire 3 times (Hawaii-Twice and Hawaii/Tahiti-Once) she was our favorite ships before moving to Asia.  The Sapphire and Diamond are special Grand Class ships as they were built in Japan versus Italy where all the other Grands (Grand, Star and Golden) were built.

Two significant differences are that the Prominade decks are wider and accommodate lounger deck chairs plus instead of two dining rooms on decks 5 & 7 midship they are split into 2 each for a total of 4.

For Princess trivia bugs, the Diamond Princess caught fire while under construction and so the original Sapphire Princess was renamed Diamond and the repaired Diamond was then renamed Sapphire.

Hopefully someone who has been on her lately can fill in on what changes have been made.

• Like 1

This sounds nice, especially with wide promenade decks, now that Princess and HAL have removed them on their newer ships. The Carnival ships and Navigator of the Seas should occupy a lot of the family cruising out of LA, so hopefully that means lower fares on Princess. Since I live in Seattle, I've done a lot of Alaska and coastal trips, but I'm tired of outside cold and wind on a cruise, so it would nice to have more LA options outside of winter. I really like how Princess is committing to LA and SF, although a lot of it is due to Australia and China being closed. 

A former Princess executive once asked me, point blank, what could get me to sail even more often.  “Sapphire or Diamond on the West Coast” was my INSTANT reply.  His was “Not going to happen - the yields are so good where they’re deployed.”   So what if it took a global pandemic, I’m *finally* getting my wish!

I like the itineraries but man, even mid-September is scorching hot in Baja and the Mexican coast.  Hope people know what they’re getting into. 

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Tak8 said:

I was on her for 37 days in Oct/Nov /Dec in 2019.

She is my favourite Grand Class ship. Before we went on her our favourite was the Diamond due to the gloriously wide promenade deck but the Sapphire is much better unless you love Japanese baths as it has the IC and Alfredos as well as the wide promenade.

In 2019 I thought she was in good shape and loved my cruise.

LA enjoy the Sapphire while she is there, Australia's loss your gain.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Tak8 said:

I LOVE the Sapphire. It is the ship I have been on the most.

It is my favorite ship in the fleet right now.

I was last on her in 2018 to Norway. She had gone through a dry dock that spring and was in excellent condition.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Elua said:

Leialoha and I have worked on both Sapphire and Diamond…love, love, LOVE these ships! Glad to see the Sapphire on the WC…great news!

Tiki Dave

Can we assume you’ll be aboard for the Hawaii sailings???  Is so, aloha in advance.  We will be booked on opening day.

• Like 2

Hawaii is my favorite cruise destination and I wish Princess would return to their 15 day circle Hawaii from LA or 16 day from SF that would stop at all 5 Hawaiian ports...Honolulu, Hilo, Kona, Kauai and Maui and of course the required stop in Ensenada.  I dont know why they dropped Kona.  Or alternate stopping at Hilo or Kona.  Once you've been to Hilo a few times, you've seen the main attractions of waterfalls and volcanoes.  Much prefer Kona over Hilo for the snorkeling.  The Oct 8th Hawaii cruise out of SF is stopping at Kona, but dropping Maui, cant figure out why.  Princess drop Hilo now and then and add Kona instead. 

I was soooo excited to read this today!  We LOVE the Hawaii cruise and have only been able to do it once because of my work schedule.  I can't take off fall or winter.  When I saw a 16 day Hawaii cruise leaving July 7th I could hardly contain myself!!!  I start back to work July 27, so this is perfect!!!!!  I will be on the phone with my TA on the 16th booking this one.

• Like 1

Can we assume you’ll be aboard for the Hawaii sailings???  Is so, aloha in advance.  We will be booked on opening day.

Aloha!

As of today, we haven’t heard anything about working those cruises…that’s not to say it won’t happen, but right now, no news.

Tiki Dave

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Elua said:

Can we assume you’ll be aboard for the Hawaii sailings???  Is so, aloha in advance.  We will be booked on opening day.

Aloha!

As of today, we haven’t heard anything about working those cruises…that’s not to say it won’t happen, but right now, no news.

Tiki Dave

Are you still doing the Ruby Alaska cruises this summer?