No Computer or Printer Available for Guests

I have been on 13 cruises on 7 different ships since August 2021 and every ship but the last had a computer and printer area for guests.  My last being on the Odyssey of the Seas did not.  Are folks finding that this is not the trend on all the ships?  Having a computer and a printer on the ship has its place and purpose and has always been helpful if you wanted something to use bigger than a cell phone or iPad.  And for those that have neither of these it is a real big help.  They said I could send a document to one of the Concierges but that can be problematic if personal, etc., and I'd still need a cell or iPad.  And I'm not hauling a laptop for limited use.

23 minutes ago, DeputyDawg46 said:

I have been on 13 cruises on 7 different ships since August 2021 and every ship but the last had a computer and printer area for guests.  My last being on the Odyssey of the Seas did not.  Are folks finding that this is not the trend on all the ships?  Having a computer and a printer on the ship has its place and purpose and has always been helpful if you wanted something to use bigger than a cell phone or iPad.  And for those that have neither of these it is a real big help.  They said I could send a document to one of the Concierges but that can be problematic if personal, etc., and I'd still need a cell or iPad.  And I'm not hauling a laptop for limited use.

There aren't any computers up in the library in the balcony of Two70?  That is where they had them on Anthem and would likely be where they were on Odyssey if they existed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

There aren't any computers up in the library in the balcony of Two70?  That is where they had them on Anthem and would likely be where they were on Odyssey if they existed.

On the Quantum and Anthem, that is where I remember computers/printers to be.

7 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

None there now. No books either which has been the case on all cruises so far. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Allure had computers in the Diamond Lounge to use. I didn't check anywhere else.

On my recent Allure sail, I used the D lounge, but previously they had computers/printers in the library.

On the Anthem the D lounge, if I recall, does not have computers/printers.

Edited by nelblu

I would not be surprised to see them totally get rid of computers.  So many people do all that stuff on their phone or bring their own. If sailing in a suite someone else will do airline check-in for you and anything else you need done.  I know about 3 years ago I was trying to to airline check-in when our genie asked why I did not just ask him to do it.  Had never thought of that and now it is something else they can do and I don't have to worry about it.  Anyway, neither here nor there.  In my opinion I can see that going the way of the library.  People just do not need it anymore.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, lovescats5 said:

I would not be surprised to see them totally get rid of computers.  So many people do all that stuff on their phone or bring their own. If sailing in a suite someone else will do airline check-in for you and anything else you need done.  I know about 3 years ago I was trying to to airline check-in when our genie asked why I did not just ask him to do it.  Had never thought of that and now it is something else they can do and I don't have to worry about it.  Anyway, neither here nor there.  In my opinion I can see that going the way of the library.  People just do not need it anymore.

Don't remember if Quantum/Anthem had a card room.  But on other ships the library is also a card playing room.  Also, on the Mariner the library, although no books, was reserved for Pinnacles during the happy hour.  

7 minutes ago, lovescats5 said:

I don’t think that is even a typical genie activity so I wouldn’t say that if you are staying in a suite someone else will do it for you.  At best that would happen in star class, and I doubt that is common.  I’m not even sure it is appropriate for

a non-traveler to due checkin for flight for someone else.  Maybe it is, but there is no way one should expect or ask the concierge to do this and I wouldn’t even feel comfortable asking a genie to do this.  I know our prior genies have never asked about flights or checking in for us.  

If you are fortunate enough to have access to either of the lounges, the concierge has been very helpful in doing any printing that we needed to have done. We agree that the old locations where computers used to be are fading away, and if they are there, the printers haven't been loaded or connected. I have had guest services do a print or two but they are normally too short staffed or busy to assist most of the time.

3 hours ago, topnole said:

I don’t think that is even a typical genie activity so I wouldn’t say that if you are staying in a suite someone else will do it for you.  At best that would happen in star class, and I doubt that is common.  I’m not even sure it is appropriate for

a non-traveler to due checkin for flight for someone else.  Maybe it is, but there is no way one should expect or ask the concierge to do this and I wouldn’t even feel comfortable asking a genie to do this.  I know our prior genies have never asked about flights or checking in for us.  

Disney’s Magical Express did it for practically every passenger daily (when it was still operating, as your boarding passes were at your door the night before) and normal land based concierges do it all the time for their guests, the only ones where they can’t are when they need to load passport info and they don’t have it, but I’m sure someone somewhere has given their concierge their passport number/info to do it for them as well. 

Definitely don't know the restrictions and scope of Genie activities, but someone is bound to have the responsibility of doing that for you if you wanted....

Edited by Kathscof

On Navigator recently on deck #8 was RC Online...however about 6-7 computers and only one working but they did have a printer. I think RCI should at least keep a similar area on each ship available & functioning.

1 hour ago, Kathscof said:

Disney’s Magical Express did it for practically every passenger daily (when it was still operating, as your boarding passes were at your door the night before) and normal land based concierges do it all the time for their guests, the only ones where they can’t are when they need to load passport info and they don’t have it, but I’m sure someone somewhere has given their concierge their passport number/info to do it for them as well. 

Definitely don't know the restrictions and scope of Genie activities, but someone is bound to have the responsibility of doing that for you if you wanted....

Hmmm.  I don’t think that is the responsibility of anyone on Royal.  Maybe I’m wrong, but I’ve never heard it discussed other than on this thread.  I’m not even really sure the point as online checkin takes just a minute at most (if even required) and if timing is important like on southwest air I wouldn’t leave it to someone else anyhow (or I would just pay the small up charge to have preferred boarding.