The Daily for Monday 02/14/2022

richwmn

A picture of the old Ferris wheel that came out of the top of the Funhouse by the beach in Asbury Park that went up in 1895. The story is that a carpenter named William Somers built 3 wooden wheels in 1892, one being erected in Asbury Park, NJ. He was issued a patent for his creation. At some point, George Ferris rode on one of Somers' wheels and decided to build a bigger one out of steel. He successfully pitched the idea to organizers of the Chicago World’s Fair of 1893, and it became an instant worldwide sensation. Somers sued for patent infringement. He lost on the grounds that Ferris’ version featured enough differences.

I rode this one many times and liked when my car stopped at the top and you could look out over the ocean. It came down in the 1980's, but the parts were bought and there is a campaign to get it rebuilt elsewhere. It's supposed to be the oldest existing Ferris wheel in the world.

792827715_AsburyParkFerrisWheel.thumb.jpg.7b6bc97186902cacc389dcdbd249d4bb.jpg

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 4

14 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good afternoon. It's been an long and busy day, but now I've found time to sit outside and relax.

DH took the car in to get a new tire put on and the oil changed.  Since it is a very busy place he had an appointment for 10 am when they opened.  Even though he was the first one there, and the owner had taken his keys,  something went wrong.  It wasn't until noon when one of the workers noticed the car had been there all morning and asked what was the deal.  Once he heard DH had been waiting two hours, he apologized and got right on it.  So much for making an appointment.  😱

While DH was gone, I had plenty of time to decorate the Valentine's cake.

20220214_123403.thumb.jpg.60846b72428d66d132ca6d4360c96cee.jpg

Our weather is changing again -- no surprise.  The winds tomorrow are supposed to be 20-30 mph with gusts to 40 mph.  I got out and trimmed as many dead branches out of the tree, so maybe the cleanup won't be as bad this time. 🤞

I've been reading the Daily between chores, but I know I'll forget to comment on some posts.  So, I'll try to comment later.

Lenda

Nice cake Lenda.

Graham.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Oceansaway17 said:

sorry I meant to type Vigo.  fast fingers.  I hope to get to Barcelona.  I have been to a lot of places in Italy including Montecassino which a lot of tours do not go to.

toodles.

Barcelona is a fantastic city with 100s of hotels 

It is only 20 minutes from the airport and the start of the main Street Las Ramblas is only 700 metres from the cruise terminals.

There are many tourist attractions and nice beaches close by.

Graham.

• Like 7

Good afternoon, everyone, and happy Valentine’s Day.  DS and DDIL were here from Friday afternoon until this morning.  I have been BUSY, and neither posting nor even reading 🙀

I just finished today - thank you all for the wonderful and sometimes heart-breaking stories - thanks again for sharing your lives and memories.

Moving back to catch up on some other days.

• Like 19

@grapau27 I am another one who appreciates people multiposting.  I know Jacqui has taught us how to do that and it stops the threads getting overly lengthy.  It also stops from one person dominating a discussion.  I used to run groups professionally and that’s why it’s important to the whole group. I know we all slip from time to time, but ideally it is best.  
Also on  a personal note, I am quite squeamish and find your  photos of your surgery too graphic for me.   It is jarring to be reading our usually PG thread and come across them. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

1 minute ago, bennybear said:

@grapau27 I am another one who appreciates people multiposting.  I know Jacqui has taught us how to do that and it stops the threads getting overly lengthy.  It also stops from one person dominating a discussion.  I used to run groups professionally and that’s why it’s important to the whole group. I know we all slip from time to time, but ideally it is best.  
Also on  a personal note, I am quite squeamish and find your  photos of your surgery too graphic for me.   It is jarring to be reading our usually PG thread and come across them. 

Thank you.

I do multi post on occasions but I also try and answer people's questions to me individually out of respect plus all my posts are done on my Android phone which has its limitations on answering and spacing photos.

My apologies for posting my surgery photo and rest assured I will be very careful in what I post in future.

Sincerely.

Graham.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I do multi post on occasions but I also try and answer people's questions to me individually out of respect

I answer each person individually when I multi post and I like to think I am being very respectful 😉

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Jacqui,  that's lovely that you can take in some lobster to Jose.  How is the food in the hospital?  

It’s hospital food.  It has improved since I was there thankfully and he appears to be eating somewhat.  He says it’s not as good as mine (I hope not 😉 ). He complains I am always bringing food and then eats it - LOL 😉 

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

I just wondered if he can order what he wants.  Would he be allowed a glass of bubbly with the lobster?

It’s a very limited menu, but he gets a choice.  What state of mind he’s in or who’s making the choices is another question.

Can’t take him any bubbly.  His liver is damaged  due to the iron in his system for years - that’s part of the problem.  He hadn’t  touched a drop for months since he found out. (And for that I admired him). 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

I answer each person individually when I multi post and I like to think I am being very respectful 😉

It’s hospital food.  It has improved since I was there thankfully and he appears to be eating somewhat.  He says it’s not as good as mine (I hope not 😉 ). He complains I am always bringing food and then eats it - LOL 😉 

It’s a very limited menu, but he gets a choice.  What state of mind he’s in or who’s making the choices is another question.

Can’t take him any bubbly.  His liver is damaged  due to the iron in his system for years - that’s part of the problem.  He hadn’t  touched a drop for months since he found out. (And for that I admired him). 

You do Jacqui.

I can multi post several posts and answer in 1 post but as all my 5 years of CC posts have been done on my Android mobile phone it is not possible to answer each individually and space just like all my photos are not spaced.

I only use my laptop when printing cruise and airline boarding cards and I would not post on CC if I only used my laptop.

Kindest regards.

Graham.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

You do Jacqui.

I can multi post several posts and answer in 1 post but as all my 5 years of CC posts have been done on my Android mobile phone it is not possible to answer each individually and space just like all my photos are not spaced.

I only use my laptop when printing cruise and airline boarding cards and I would not post on CC if I only used my laptop.

Kindest regards.

Graham.

I see.  I don’t use a phone so I can’t help with your android issue.  But - Another alternative for you then might be using the “bubble”. Using the @ and the CC name.  LIke @grapau27 and then reply.

Several people on the thread do that and it acknowledges people easily.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

DH mopped and vacuumed, I got the dusting and glass cleaning, and food prep, and setting the table, and moving all the crap around from the "public" area to the bedroom.

The meal was "Make a Sandwich, Make a salad"  so there were all the ingredients to make a chef salad, or a really nice big sandwich, most folk made a sandwich, and had a salad, but i had salad.  I was so proud....and then they brought out cookies for dessert....so much for todays diet.  And thinking that most of us would make salad, but they did not,  i will be eating bunny food all week.  

Left over hard boiled eggs, green pepper? that will be egg salad sandwiches tomorrow.

Sliced cheeses?  Grilled cheese sandwiches for two or three days

Broccoli Cheddar Soup?  Dinner tomorrow night.

Chopped tomato and iceburg lettuce-assisting left over tacos from yesterday at dinner tonight

Sliced tomatos: might have to buy bacon and have BLTs

and all that lettuce? side salads any one?

and then we discussed the book, which two out of 5 hadn't read , and then they all left, and all that stuff that got moved, had to be brought back, and the covers to the furniture got washed and dried and needs to be put back up.  I was exhausted and called out sick for the 4 hours i was going to work.  Turns out one of the side effects of this tumor is exhaustion,  and I can tell you they are correct.  I feel like going back to bed about an hour after waking up, I stay up of course, but not sure which would be better, getting the sleep or facing the day.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

I see.  I don’t use a phone so I can’t help with your android issue.  But - Another alternative for you then might be using the “bubble”. Using the @ and the CC name.  LIke @grapau27 and then reply.

Several people on the thread do that and it acknowledges people easily.

Thank you Jacqui I will look at that option.

I have asked for my skin cancer scar photo post 118 to be removed.

Graham.

• Like 6

I just wanted to say that I do not want people to *not* post because of concern for being told how-or-how-not to post.  Technology is a challenge for some given the device, the version, and the technical knowledge.  This is an inclusive thread and restrictions are sure to drive people away for fear of being told off.  I know it would me.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

You do Jacqui.

Kindest regards.

Graham.

I also use an android phone and when I try to multi quote it works only on occasion. I utilize the blue bubbles most times. I am never able to post more than one picture but that is probably a good thing as I am not a great photographer!!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

I just wanted to say that I do not want people to *not* post because of concern for being told how-or-how-not to post.  Technology is a challenge for some given the device, the version, and the technical knowledge.  This is an inclusive thread and restrictions are sure to drive people away for fear of being told off.  I know it would me.

I agree.  Multi-quoting works for me as I hit the + sign as I'm reading through and I know what I want to answer.   It doesn't work as well for others, but the bottom line is I just want people to feel welcome to post.  

@grapau27 I didn't think your picture of your surgical scar was too much, but I watch those medical shows all the time.  I find it interesting how they do things.  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

No question this is directed at me so why not call a spade a spade?

I did not think I was telling anyone off when I posted suggestions. Nor did I tell anyone not to post.  I was trying to help and keep the thread from being  too unwieldy.  

Imagine if we all did that?  There are lots of ways to not do single posts and I was trying to help.

Obviously I am out of sync tonight, hasn’t been a good day and will keep my mouth shut from here on in.  

• Like 6

8 hours ago, kazu said:

Nice!

Just a friendly reminder - you have 5 posts in a row.  You could have combined those in one mutli quote which helps make the thread less wieldy for reading 😉 

All you need to do is click the + button (circled in my screen shot) and all the posts will be appear so you can quote each one.

153875B0-F6B9-4629-B0CA-AB6B0646E5D8.thumb.jpeg.092dbb6a429e83c8ca633d920f83a02b.jpeg

You can even do it for posts on different pages 😉.  Just in case it is of help

I didn’t know that.  Live and learn.

Terri

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, kazu said:

I did not think I was telling anyone off when I posted suggestions. Nor did I tell anyone not to post.  I was trying to help and keep the thread from being  too unwieldy.  

Imagine if we all did that?  There are lots of ways to not do single posts and I was trying to help.

Obviously I am out of sync tonight, hasn’t been a good day and will keep my mouth shut from here on in.  

You are just being helpful, Jacqui. Please don’t be quiet. But i do. wish you a restful night and a better day tomorrow 

• Like 10

Obviously I am out of sync tonight and will keep my mouth shut from here on in.  

I understand and my intent was not to be confrontational.  I am sad that is how it was perceived.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, lindaler said:

I bought train tickets to my sisters for in a few weeks. It’s ten hours on the train each way but with winter conditions and the price of gas it’s more comfortable and half the price.

Did you get Amtrak's Valentine's Day special: Buy one, Bring one for free?

Amtrak Loves You Sale | Amtrak

• Like 4

Good evening, it’s been a great day, chocolates, a lovely card with a heartfelt message, and we were together.  Dinner from our favourite Italian restaurant turned out a bit of a disappointment as it certainly wasn’t up to par.

@Suslora very Happy Birthday to your DH, and enjoy your Valentine celebration tomorrow.

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 12