Coffee?

Hockeylovinmom

If you book the Plus fare it includes the premier beverage package, unlimited wifi and daily gratuities.  Beverage package includes unlimited non alcoholic beverages, a few excluded, and includes specialty coffees, brewed coffee, and others. The package also includes 15 alcoholic drinks per day. The break even point for the plus fare is around 2 alcoholic drinks per person per day.

If you.book the no frills fare then you can purchase a coffee package for around $36. The package includes 15 specialty coffees plus unlimited brewed coffee, special teas and hot chocolate. Brewed coffee as well as specialty coffees can also be purchased separately.

There is free coffee in the buffet, DRs, room service and on the ocean now app. It is pretty good but of a lesser quality than the brewed coffee.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

DH says it tastes like Taster's Choice to him (I have no opinion...don't drink the stuff).

I've been told that on the newer ships - Royal and newer - the coffee in the buffet is actually brewed coffee. On the older ships it has always been made from a syrup. I once had coffee at lunch in MDR (syrup based) and it was a very acceptable cup of coffee. I got a refill and it was horrible. Different batch made by a different person I guess. In general I've been able to drink the syrup based coffee but anymore we will be sailing with Princess Plus and will get all of our coffee from IC. Having had coffee cards several times and then the beverage package as an included perk a few times we've become spoiled.

1 hour ago, jimbo1683 said:

What on earth???

All coffee on the older ships - other than the fresh brewed at IC - was made from concentrate. That's why it varied so much and many people couldn't stand the stuff.

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

I've been told that on the newer ships - Royal and newer - the coffee in the buffet is actually brewed coffee.

My tastebuds enjoy the coffee in the buffet & dining rooms on Royal-class ships using German manufactured WMF filtered coffee machines made from ground coffee.

image.thumb.jpeg.b72d70d33c97b12455c42ec5200ea5e1.jpeg

Edited by Astro Flyer

3 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

My tastebuds enjoy the coffee in the buffet & dining rooms on Royal-class ships using German manufactured WMF filtered coffee machines made from ground coffee.

In theory we will sail on our first Royal class cruise in May. We are actually booked on Royal Princess although not real happy about being switched from Sapphire. We booked a big Caribe deck balcony and were moved to the same cabin on Royal which, of course, has a minuscule balcony. At least there will be "real" coffee in MDR and the buffet. We're kind of picky about our coffee at home and grind each batch as we go. We both dislike Peet's. It tastes like the stuff that's been sitting in a 7-11 coffee pot all day long.

33 minutes ago, Thrak said:

In theory we will sail on our first Royal class cruise in May. We are actually booked on Royal Princess although not real happy about being switched from Sapphire. We booked a big Caribe deck balcony and were moved to the same cabin on Royal which, of course, has a minuscule balcony. At least there will be "real" coffee in MDR and the buffet. We're kind of picky about our coffee at home and grind each batch as we go. We both dislike Peet's. It tastes like the stuff that's been sitting in a 7-11 coffee pot all day long.

I can understand your disappointment in the ship change but hopefully the filtered coffee will be acceptable to your tastebuds. I used to grind & brew 100% Kona coffee until the caffeine created a heart arrhythmia problem so had to learn to accept decaf coffee. While here in Maui that’s Royal Kona Sam Choy’s 10% Kona blend that’s decaffeinated using the Swiss Water process.

58 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

image.thumb.jpeg.b72d70d33c97b12455c42ec5200ea5e1.jpeg

Yes if you can find one of these machines turned on, it is quite acceptable. I'm not sure where the room service and carafe coffee comes from, though.

2 hours ago, skynight said:

Not really syrup. It is a liquid coffee concentrate used by many restaurants. It can be purchased in various qualities. Princess does not purchase the highest quality.

Thankfully I have never drunk coffee in any of those restaurants

On 2/15/2022 at 8:08 AM, Hockeylovinmom said:

What are coffee plans on Princess, specifically Island Princess? How is their No premium coffee?

You asked about coffee plans... there are no coffee plans except you may purchase a Coffee Card to use at the International Cafe and get all kinds of coffee drinks. When we were on the Regal in 2018, the buffet decaf was actually pretty decent. However, I prefer getting my  code each morning from the International Cafe which I typically do with Princess Plus.