Azamara Selling off cruises to consolidator ?

Mrs Miggins

We are booked on Quest B2B 16th and 23rd April in an 05.  Up until a few days ago there were lot and lots of staterooms available.  Today I looked on 16th cruise and the only options for an OV are Cat 08 and 2 Cat 04 cabins. On the 23rd April only Cat 8.

They are offering Guarantee rooms - but where have all the others gone ?

46 minutes ago, Mrs Miggins said:

Some Travel Agents buy blocks of cabins and sell them on, often including flights, and hotels, at a price lower than going direct to Azamara.

That happened to a Lisbon to Rio cruise we did a couple of years ago. There were lots of people onboard who had bought the cruise at the last minute at a very cheap price. That cruise had a very different atmosphere from most other cruises we’ve done with Azamara.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

That happened to a Lisbon to Rio cruise we did a couple of years ago. There were lots of people onboard who had bought the cruise at the last minute at a very cheap price. That cruise had a very different atmosphere from most other cruises we’ve done with Azamara.

That ‘s why I am worried

• Like 2

I’m on 5 April and am certainly concerned about this. I’ve also been on with large groups of travel agents that one wouldn’t surprise me as they try and relaunch things. Travel agents aren’t as disruptive as some other groups but it’s still a different ambience. 

• Like 1

A flurry of bookings this week could  be a direct result of the suspension of Journey sailings until May , with many of those people looking for alternatives. With the offer that expires soon,  guests may be making a decision to book before the offer expires.? 

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s just a flurry of individual bookings. My travel agent daughter is crazily busy right now - struggling to cope with queries and bookings.

Same being said on Facebook about Azamara U.K. apparently busier than they’ve ever been. The easing of testing requirements for the fully vaccinated has probably released a wave of pent up demand.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Riocca said:

Same being said on Facebook about Azamara U.K. apparently busier than they’ve ever been. The easing of testing requirements for the fully vaccinated has probably released a wave of pent up demand.

I booked yesterday for May, the price was too good to miss.  I phoned the travel agent at 12:15, it took 15 minutes to get through (which never used to be the case with this particular agent).   She was unable to book on line because there was a problem with the flights.  She said she would contact Azamara and get back to me.  At around 3pm she phoned, apologising that she hadn't been able to get through but would keep trying.  At 5:30pm she finally called back, with Azamara waiting on the other line and I was finally able to get the cruise booked.  Yes they are busy.

• Like 1

I checked prices for a friend a couple of days ago, my first check was with the main consolidator site and the prices were good, however,  I then checked one further online TA who wouldn't be known as a consolidator and their prices were even cheaper.

• Like 2

Back in the early days of Azamara Club Cruises, around about 2011 there were some cracking deals to promote the brand. We booked a 10 day cruise in a balcony cabin with flights, transfers and a pre cruise hotel for £1100 pp. we went with friends and ended up eating in the specialties most nights for free as no one seemed to want to pay the $5 pp up charge.

Now Azamara are independent they have to work harder to promote the brand and the obvious route to market is via travel agents so in the short term we might have to get used to this. With the bookings we currently have I am very happy with the prices we’ve received from Azamara, cost per day has been less than we were paying pre pandemic.

• Like 1

I think it may be that there will be significantly more interest from those in the UK for our Mediterranean than those from the US because of flight difficulties etc.

It was extremely strange that our booked 05 cabin 4048 was, up until last week,  surrounded by empty cabins.  The rest of the ship was very empty - now it looks almost full.

I just checked a large American consolidator site. The April 5,16 and 23 Quest cruises are listed at very  low prices. In US$ for April 23 inside  $1999, OV $2299, Veranda $2999 and Suite $3999.  Nine Quest cruises from March to May are listed in the Find a Bargain section.

10 minutes ago, helby said:

I just checked a large American consolidator site. The April 5,16 and 23 Quest cruises are listed at very  low prices. In US$ for April 23 inside  $1999, OV $2299, Veranda $2999 and Suite $3999.  Nine Quest cruises from March to May are listed in the Find a Bargain section.

These are the pp prices shown on the US Azamara website for the guarantee cabin pricing.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Skicruiser55 said:

These are the pp prices shown on the US Azamara website for the guarantee cabin pricing.

Thanks Skicruiser55 I didn't check the Azamara site. In 2019 I got a better price from Azamara direct three weeks ahead than from any travel site and was able to choose my cabin.