The Daily for Friday 02/18/2022

richwmn

Good morning. Sunny here, but cold. Supposedly snow next week. Who knows, but we really need it. I will head out to the store tomorrow early to be sure I have the essentials. If I have bread, milk, eggs and cheese I am good to go.

Little Bandit went to the vet earlier this morning to get a dental and also have an ultra-sound done. His tummy has been a bit dicey recently.... hope I just need to change his food. He was very displeased about a lack of breakfast this morning but trotted happily off with the vet. He does not seem to hold a grudge. My pocket will be $$$ lighter this afternoon.

Tuna tartar - no thanks. I have been to China several times and liked it.... but that was some years ago and I really am not anxious to go back. But one never knows.......

Susan

• Like 23
  • Haha 1

Good morning and thanks all!   I will cheer all caretakers, a selfless and very tough role!  No to Tuna tartare. Unless it’s seared!  A special thanks to Rich and Roy for attending to the daily while on a cruise!  And Ann for the interesting wine info,  is it just me who is more suspect of the wines with interesting names? 
DGD loves Harry Potter, was thrilled when we visited the Ashmolean library in Oxford and brought her some souvenirs.  
@mamaofami sorry to hear about your DH fingers!  Hope you can get some help! 
@Cruzin Terriglad the cortisone helped!  It can be wonderful! 
@kazu yikes on your weather!  Hope you can stay safe and warm! Good luck on the seeds. 
@lindalerI share your concern anytime a topic or person dominates it can drown out others.

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 25

Good morning, everyone!

As a professional caregiver (BSN/RN) and in a non-professional caregiver capacity (both parents) I have to share with you that the Caregivers of loved ones is the most difficult job, IMHO. The depth of the impact on a person is not often appreciated or recognized. Taking care of my parents took a big toll on my life and heart.

Being emotionally attached to the one you are taking care of is exhausting yet rewarding. None of us would ever do anything differently. I honor all of you; it makes me tear up on how much love there is in it.

As a nurse you can leave the caretaking at work and are not emotionally involved. Even though it is trying at times it is not even close to the stress involved when taking care of a loved one.  Taking care of a loved one is often long term too.

Secondly, I am also loving National Wine Drinking Day; to honor this I will have a glass of wine at lunch to get the celebration started. I am proud to be a part of this wine loving community here!

Liking all of the lists, posts, pictures, F&B department and sentiments today.

Prayers for all.

Stay safe everyone, take care, stay warm and have a good weekend.😊

• Like 29

Xiamen is an interesting Chinese port mainly because it is so close to Kinmen, which an island less than twenty miles away that belongs to Taiwan.  When we lived in Taiwan in the 1960s China would shell Kinmen every other day.  The farmers on Kinmen would pick up the remains of the shells on the days they were not coming down.  Apparently the shells were from Russia and of high quality steel.  So now, both in Xiamen and Taipei you can buy kitchen knives made from the shells.  We bought one when in Xiamen a few years ago.  Of course, China no longer shells Kinmen and tourists can easily get there from Xiamen.  We chose not to visit because of possible border crossing problems from the Chinese authorities, as Sara has dual U.S. and Taiwan citizenship.

Ray

• Like 19
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

@msmayorI'm sure your friends will like the Punta Gorda/Port Charlotte area. We lived in Naples for 17 years and it's now crazy crowded down there, when we moved there in 1993 it was pretty quiet. We decided to try something different and spent 10 years in Sebring which is too quiet with lousy restaurants and lousy shopping.So now here we are in Punta Gorda and things are just about perfect, fine restaurants, good shopping, 30 minutes to the beach and the traffic is bearable. It's very close to I-75 so it's only 2 hours and 20 minutes to Port Everglades, Sarasota, and Naples are 50 minutes away and Tampa 90 minutes. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

• Like 22

5 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. I am having a hard time understanding how the wire in one of Sam’s fingers that he broke and had surgery on has two screws that have worked their way to the surface of the finger. The surgeon is over an hour away and we have no appointment at this time.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

It isn’t that unusual for wires or screws to surface. My DH has had several surgeries on his toes (because of hammer toes) and the pins have always worked themselves out, some more quickly than others. I’m sure the surgeon will be able to help Sam. 

Take care. 
Sharon

• Like 25

Good Morning Everyone,

Well I think I fit that caregiver role..........all my life.  Started as a teen babysitting (to support my horse)  In high school my job in the evening was to "feed" the people in the local nursing home that were unable to feed themselves....then I was an aide there while working my way through nursing school!  I then went into hospital nursing and specialized in emergency nursing for 29 years took care of all ages but was known to be the nurse who dealt with the elderly, dementia clients.  Tried to retire but couldn't quite do that so work part time with dementia and special needs adults in an adult day setting!  Now, I am care taking my folks.  Just seems natural for me.  The hardest like @Cruisercl said is caring for family.  I care for my Dad with his memory loss.  Dementia is a cruel thing for families.

Love the wine day.  I like wine but hubby doesn't so I seldom have it here at home.  But will enjoy it if I go visit with friends!

Look forward to hearing about everyone's cruise adventures. @rafinmd and others enjoy yourselves, and when you can post a note of your adventure!

Denise

• Like 26

Good morning everyone and Happy Friday!

I am later today because I had to check out @rafinmdRoy’s blog first. Then the rest of yesterday’s Daily. We are getting to be a bigger group and very busy with more of us back to cruising. 

Our DD is a paid caregiver and I have to say it is a thankless job. She does more housework than caregiving it seems but I guess that’s part of the position. 

We celebrate wine day every day. I’m loving all the memes today. 

Funny that tuna tartare is today’s meal suggestion. I just received my February seafood box and it is half tuna. I have one in the fridge and will be making olive oil poached tuna first for tuna salad and then next week I think a wasabi sesame crusted seared tuna. But I have to buy the wasabi sesame seeds on Amazon first because I can’t find them anywhere. 

I was excited to read about the drink because I saw blood oranges at TJ’s yesterday. But I don’t think I’ll buy that vodka. Thank you for the recipe Dixie. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 26

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

A sad story here. A female Uber driver was missing, and her body was found a few days ago. An arrest was made last night, partly because they found her dash camera (in a nearby town) and it showed the murderer holding a gun to her head, and her begging for her life, telling him she had 4 children. His girlfriend had called the Uber and it was her gun he used. He tried to transfer money from the driver's bank account to his girlfriend's phone. Just awful. The local news people can barely tell the story. I hope they arrest the girlfriend as well! I just can't understand people sometimes.

That is just horrific!  I'm like you, wondering how people can turn this way in life.  I hope they both go to prison for life.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

6 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

Good morning from SW Florida, another nice day in the 80s coming up.

I like that it's National Drink Wine Day!

National Battery Day, I get a charge out of that.

Off to the golf course in a few minutes for a Mens Day Shamble tournament.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Thank's for The Daily.

have a good game.  never heard of shamble but I hope the course does not end up in SHAMBLES afterwards.  ha  ha

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from cool, sunny Quartzsite.  This will be a quick post since today is house cleaning day.  😒

This tree was growing out of cracks in the rocks.

IMG_1441.thumb.JPG.5b2e0ca95b3bb04671b96a6d5f41d4f1.JPG

Wow this tree could be a cousin to the lone cypress on pebble beach golf course area in Cal.

thanks for sharing

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

My favorite marine source of information! Why is there a US Coast Guard ship in Aruba?

20220218_071723.jpg

The U.S. Coasties operate in a joint anti-drug task force with the Dutch, British, French, and local Carib coast guards. Have been doing it for a while now so, besides San Juan, Puerto Rico, they frequently call at Oranjestad, Aruba, Willemstad, Curacao, Nassau, the Bahamas, etc. in between their time on patrol at sea. The one shown in your pic is USCGC Confidence (WMEC-619), a Reliance-class medium endurance cutter, home-ported at Cape Canaveral, FL. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 9

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

A sad story here. A female Uber driver was missing, and her body was found a few days ago. An arrest was made last night, partly because they found her dash camera (in a nearby town) and it showed the murderer holding a gun to her head, and her begging for her life, telling him she had 4 children. His girlfriend had called the Uber and it was her gun he used. He tried to transfer money from the driver's bank account to his girlfriend's phone. Just awful. The local news people can barely tell the story. I hope they arrest the girlfriend as well! I just can't understand people sometimes.

Just horrific.   I can't even imagine her terror.   

Meanwhile, I did battle with my plow company and we have agreed on a settlement.  He is having trouble keeping employees.  I can understand that people don't want to get up at 5:00 am to go plow driveways.  And it isn't regular work, which is what people need and want.  

• Like 18

7 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

10262007_1003838509644586_8023874291628284150_n.jpg.e6ebd36e22ac019e2af62e89e9141af5.jpg

I've never seen this, before.  It is hilarious.  Thank you, @puppycanducruise.

Here is another thing about me that will aggravate many.  I am absolutely obnoxious about grammar and spelling.  That being said, I have embarrassed myself many times by posting with  ridiculous mistakes.  In the future anybody who spots a mistake in any of my posts is free to bring it to my attention.  We learn from our mistakes.  No reward though.

Anyway, as I was looking at this chart I came to a full stop at the first entry in the "Dessert & Fortified" section.  Back in the bad old days, when California winemakers would label their wines with French locations, (Who remembers "Pink Chablis" or "Hearty Burgundy?")  There were multiple wineries that would bottle a wine made from undefined white grapes and call it "Sauterne."  Universally, it was a pretty undistinguished wine, and, while Sauterne often had detectable levels of residual sugar, it was definitely not a "Dessert Wine,"  On the other hand "Sauternes" is the French region in the Graves section in Bordeaux.  Sauternes produces dessert wines that are among the most exquisite in the world.  I have been tickled over the last year, or so, when @richwmnhas picked a Sauternes for the Daily wine of the day.

Also, for those who actually enjoy tuna tartare, Mrs. XBGuy has a party dish that is a hit every time--Poke Nachos.  I do not have her recipe handy but here a couple:

https://www.ricardocuisine.com/en/recipes/7576-poke-nachos

https://knowseafood.com/blogs/recipes/tuna-poke-wonton-nachos

Edited by XBGuy
  • Like 20

Hi!  It poured rain here all day yesterday.  Then it snowed  during the night and the power went out for a while.  Woke up this morning and decided to get some groceries.  It's going to be a long weekend here.

I  have a question about the soda/pop on board.  Do they have diet soda/pop available?  Do they have Coke zero? (Asking for a friend.)

• Like 17

30 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

have a good game.  never heard of shamble but I hope the course does not end up in SHAMBLES afterwards.  ha  ha

A Shamble is when everyone on your 4 man team hits a tee shot. You then pick the tee shot you want to play and then all the players play their own ball from that spot until they hole out. Usually it's 2 best balls net of the 4 . We came in 3rd place today with a net score of 108 which was 32 under par. 104 won it and 107 was second. I picked up a few extra bucks with 2 closest to the pins on the Par 3s.

All in all a good day with great weather.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, durangoscots said:

He was very displeased about a lack of breakfast this morning but trotted happily off with the vet. He does not seem to hold a grudge. My pocket will be $$$ lighter this afternoon.

Your darn right your pocket will be $$$ lighter 😉   Mine sure have been too as of late.  Bless you for taking care of Bandit ♥️ 

26 minutes ago, dfish said:

Meanwhile, I did battle with my plow company and we have agreed on a settlement. 

YAY 🙂 Glad to hear you have won your battle 👍 

2 minutes ago, 4966and556 said:

I  have a question about the soda/pop on board.  Do they have diet soda/pop available?  Do they have Coke zero? (Asking for a friend.)

Yes, HAL had diet soda / pop.  They are all Coke products.  I have seen Diet Coke and Coke Zero in 2018 - 2019 (sorry, haven’t been on a ship since covid).

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, MISTER 67 said:

A Shamble is when everyone on your 4 man team hits a tee shot. You then pick the tee shot you want to play and then all the players play their own ball from that spot until they hole out. Usually it's 2 best balls net of the 4 . We came in 3rd place today with a net score of 108 which was 32 under par. 104 won it and 107 was second. I picked up a few extra bucks with 2 closest to the pins on the Par 3s.

All in all a good day with great weather.

oh I never heard of this.

and BTW it could also be a 4 woman team.  ha ha not trying to be mean here  

And also, that fire in Michigan was even on my local TX channel in the Phila area.  

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

oh I never heard of this.

and BTW it could also be a 4 woman team.  ha ha not trying to be mean here  

And also, that fire in Michigan was even on my local TX channel in the Phila area.  

Today was Mens day, Ladies day is on Thursdays but once in awhile we have a mixed couples event. My wife doesn't play so I miss out on those.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Today's sunrise is from my 2019 Prinsendam Grand South America cruise.  On February 18 we arrived in Buenos Aires.

dawn0218.jpg

Roy

Nice photo of sun

I never had the chance to sail on the Prinsendam but I bet you miss that ship as so have others.

RCI had a small ship called Empress and that ship was well loved too

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1