Resumption of Cruising

Hogbay

Return of cruise ships   

33 members have voted

1. 1. Federal government has announced its up to the State government and territory to resume cruising?

25 minutes ago, Tikibird said:

I am getting worried about our PNG cruise in November.  They are dragging their feet way too long on this! 

I doubt any of the islands will allow cruise ships this coming season.
Fiji and possibly noumea, maybe ???

I believe the ships won’t go to PNG because it’s running pretty rampant and if it got onto the ship  ,the ship would be barred from Australia.

At least if there was a outbreak in Australian waters they would have the back up of our medical system.

That’s my thoughts.

31 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Me too. I can't see any of the islands or PNG allowing cruise ships until late 2023. I can't see the Australian government allowing cruise ships to return from there.

Fiji and Noumea might be possible, but there's not much point if all the other islands are off limits.

Personally I have no intention of cruising outside of Australia and NZ next cruise season.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, springaussie said:

Do you think the cruise companies or someone else should come out and say something about a lot of cruises that people have booked will probably not happen in the 22/23 Oz season? 

Someone should but they can’t seem to get their act together on anything.

• Like 3

Others may disagree, but I don't believe we will see cruise ships arriving in this region until at least mid 2023.  The federal and state governments are paranoid on another Ruby Princess or Diamond Princess type disaster.  No one wants to sign that paper approving the movement of cruise ships here,

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Fiji and possibly noumea, maybe ???

I believe the ships won’t go to PNG because it’s running pretty rampant and if it got onto the ship  ,the ship would be barred from Australia.

At least if there was a outbreak in Australian waters they would have the back up of our medical system.

That’s my thoughts.

Our medical system? What if a ship turned up at the port of Eden on NSW Far South Coast with some covid affected pax/crew? The nearest hospital is Bega a couple of hours away with 4 ICU beds.  Regional area ports and nearby medical facilities just could not cope.  

12 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Our medical system? What if a ship turned up at the port of Eden on NSW Far South Coast with some covid affected pax/crew? The nearest hospital is Bega a couple of hours away with 4 ICU beds.  Regional area ports and nearby medical facilities just could not cope.  

Oh dear…Can we please have some positive comments.

I think that a decision will be made probably just before the election.   Why,  because Libs don’t think they will win and they can blame Labour for mismanagement if anything goes wrong.

agree no ships will go to PNG!    

we are in our middle 70s and we have missed two years of cruising.  Booked on a cruise around the UK.  Trying to take some precautions…they speak English, if we get sick…?  We will get medical treatment….ofcourse we might kick the bucket before we go😂👵🍸🤷‍♀️

Eileen

• Like 5

2 hours ago, springaussie said:

Do you think the cruise companies or someone else should come out and say something about a lot of cruises that people have booked will probably not happen in the 22/23 Oz season? 

They should, because there are a lot of scheduled cruises out to PNG and the Islands over the next year or so and none of them are going to happen.

For instance Princess have a 35 night Tahiti/Hawaii cruise on Coral set for this September, and I can't see why they haven't yet put those passengers out of their misery.

Carnival Spirit had a lot of cruises scheduled to go out to the Islands and I can't help thinking that moving her to the Caribbean was a way to cancel those cruises en masse. Just like P&O canceling cruises from Auckland was likely because all those cruises went to the Islands.

Anyway, the end result will be that if cruising goes ahead this year, there will be a lot of holes in cruise schedules that will need to be filled.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Good to see you uncle Les,we where wondering where you were.

If a ship did turn up at eden,you could take in half dozen mature` ladies’ ?? to care for . 
‘Take them to the club for a bit of comforting but they would probably drink you out of the house.

1 hour ago, portcbob said:

I believe cruising domestically will resume in September this year, 2022. 17th April date is the key. If the government lifts the ban it will happen, IMO.👍

I bloody hope so because I have a cruise booked for mid September (east coast Aussie) and this will be my first cruise in three years. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Good to see you uncle Les,we where wondering where you were.

If a ship did turn up at eden,you could take in half dozen mature` ladies’ ?? to care for . 
‘Take them to the club for a bit of comforting but they would probably drink you out of the house.

I was away all last week, sipping vinos at Corowa/Rutherglen.

You reckon I could establish an Air B and B, for cruise refugees? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, portcbob said:

I believe cruising domestically will resume in September this year, 2022. 17th April date is the key. If the government lifts the ban it will happen, IMO.👍

In that cruise passengers article,I think they said it will be lifted on 17th of this month. That’s only a week and a half 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

In that cruise passengers article,I think they said it will be lifted on 17th of this month. That’s only a week and a half 

Fingers crossed then. I await in trepidation.

17 hours ago, Cruisers47 said:

Oh dear…Can we please have some positive comments.

I think that a decision will be made probably just before the election.   Why,  because Libs don’t think they will win and they can blame Labour for mismanagement if anything goes wrong.

agree no ships will go to PNG!    

we are in our middle 70s and we have missed two years of cruising.  Booked on a cruise around the UK.  Trying to take some precautions…they speak English, if we get sick…?  We will get medical treatment….ofcourse we might kick the bucket before we go😂👵🍸🤷‍♀️

Eileen

The British Isles cruise from Southampton is great, been there, done that twice on Crown Princess and Regal Princess. You will enjoy it.

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

Fingers crossed then. I await in trepidation.

As we all know you only believe half what you see and nothing you hear.

But the article said the Fed wants to make a move before the go into caretaking mode

• Like 1

4 hours ago, portcbob said:

I think there is a good chance this will happen. If it isn't September, I feel it would be within a couple of months of that date.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

I was away all last week, sipping vinos at Corowa/Rutherglen.

Hope you had a good trip mate. My sister & BIL spent a week down at Mulawa the week before.

We are still planning to be down your way 16 & 17th & hope to catch up - will keep in touch mate. Cheers

• Like 1

A number of posters are asking the question, along the lines of..."What if a boatload of Covid turned up at Eden...how would the medical facilities cope?"

The difference now...as opposed to Ruby Princess times...is that, the fact that you have Covid, doesn't necessarily mean hospitalization or even medical treatment. We are all a bit more protected these days. 

If the boat did turn up...the situation, in most cases, would just require isolation...which, in effect, would mean "get your self home and stay there for a week".

Not such a big deal now....in most cases.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, portcbob said:

Great, bring on the repo cruise.18 NIGHT TRANSPACIFIC CRUISE Honolulu to Brisbane in October..

First one since November 2019 for me..

40 minutes ago, SuitesRbest said:

Great, bring on the repo cruise.18 NIGHT TRANSPACIFIC CRUISE Honolulu to Brisbane in October..

First one since November 2019 for me..

I hate drop your hopes but it looks like Royal Caribbean have canceled their bookings in Hawaii for the trans pacific.
They may stop in for fuel and a few pineapples but that’s it.

The problem is there’s no where to stop on the way to Sydney and Brisbane.

Carnival will be close behind.

• Haha 1

I rang Princess last week. They said no cruises here until October. They also said relocation cruises planned to Australia are still on track. They leave in Sept from Vancouver etc. 

If the ships don't come here in Sept then that limits the number of cruises here for the whole season so fingers crossed for that to happen. 

We are booked on Princess in Nov 2022.

• Thanks 1

I think that Princess and Carnival are hoping to proceed with the cruises as currently scheduled (from Oct in Aus).  They have reassigned their ships elsewhere for the moment.

However P&O Au are the ones with free ships and 2 of those ships have been doing a lot of test cruises out of Limassol for the past two months lasting a week at a time, I imagine the officers getting the hang of sailing a larger ships than they had before.  This takes precious fuel so there must be a reason for the sailings.  Pacific Explorer has now departed Palermo after dry dock and wet dock and is now on her way to Augusta.  I imagine she will then go back to Limassol but will keep watch on her.

There is scuttle-but that Carnival may surprise us with a new (refurbished) ship for Brisbane.  They have yet to commit Costa Magica to any sailings yet after transferring her over from Costa earlier this year.  Spirit has itineraries in the US until 2024 so this could be her replacement.  Not sure if she is a similar class to Splendor.

Edited by Ondine
  • Thanks 2