Complimentary wines - Seabourn Encore February 2022

claranda

The enjoyment of wines is notoriously subjective, and so-called wine experts and snobs are frequently fooled in blind tastings. 

A highly recommended documentary that has been (and probably still is) available to stream in your very own Seabourn suite:  "Sour Grapes" - about fraudster Rudy Kurniawan who fooled many "sophisticated" experts and ultra-wealthy connoisseurs, collectors, and merchants.

Edited by sfvoyage
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseej said:

Why insult those who might like it? As long as you can find something you like, who cares what else is available?

No one was meant to be insulted. That's what taste is about. My swill may be someone else's delight and, no doubt, vice-versa. 

Perhaps more of you will try it and also wonder why a $4.29 wine is considered a "fine wine" by SB.

Just curious, but maybe our new Crystal friends will tell us if it was ever served there?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mikewomb said:

Then don’t drink it. 

For sure.  Once was enough. (Same goes for the LAN.)

Look, the point is not whether we all may enjoy inexpensive wines at the right time, in the right setting.  We all have inexpensive wines we pick up at the supermarket.  And more power to those who have a preferred inexpensive wine.  They (we?) can drink a lot more for a lot less and enjoy it.

The point is that the Beringer is a mass produced, homogeneous wine.  It is priced accordingly at Total Wine for $4.29 for 750 ml or $7.97 for 1.5 L.  That is not the definition of the "fine wines" that Seabourn advertises and that we are paying for.  That is not the quality that SB promises, nor the expectation that the guests have.

Cheers!

Edited by marazul
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, marazul said:

For sure.  Once was enough. (Same goes for the LAN.)

Look, the point is not whether we all may enjoy inexpensive wines at the right time, in the right setting.  We all have inexpensive wines we pick up at the supermarket.  And more power to those who have a preferred inexpensive wine.  They (we?) can drink a lot more for a lot less and enjoy it.

The point is that the Beringer is a mass produced, homogeneous wine.  It is priced accordingly at Total Wine for $4.29 for 750 ml or $7.97 for 1.5 L.  That is not the definition of the "fine wines" that Seabourn advertises and that we are paying for.  That is not the quality that SB promises, nor the expectation that the guests have.

Cheers!

We drink decent wine…fine wine..I don’t know as that is an opinion, however never had a bad wine on this cruise line. 

Better wine is definitely available for an up charge on Seabourn.   The house or table wine is what it is, passable wine that many passengers enjoy.   Very definitely true when I have seen some passengers stumble to their tables after a few too many TK cocktails.   I doubt they were tasting the nuances of the wine/champagne served with the food.

8 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

All in all a decent complimentary list, especially the whites.   The glaring miss to me

The glaring miss to me is New Zealand's Villa Maria.  Oyster Bay is--OK--as is Matua or Kim Crawford--but, having drunk all of these, Villa Maria is my preference.  And, I have had bartenders on ships that agree.  (So my "taste" is not all in "my mouth".)  

15 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Thank you for posting the list.  All in all a decent complimentary list, especially the whites.   The glaring miss to me is the LAN Rioja, there are many much better Red Riojas in the <$15 category.

We found the Lan very good it was a 2012 reserva and looking at home  was over £20 per bottle I do not think you can expect much better for a complimentary wine.

4 minutes ago, claranda said:

Margbem, Mancunian - will check that out today….

Thank you!

When you have formal nights could you post how many people are in tuxes? Our friends board on the 11th March and can’t decide whether to pack one or not.

Really grateful for all info!

17 hours ago, mancunian said:

Please Clarandra would you ask the wine waiter if the do non alcoholic wine.

Many thanks

I am told they offer a white and a red from a brand called FREE. That seems to be all, apart from sparking non-alcoholic wine that they pick up locally(!?). The non-alcoholic beer is Becks, our NAB of choice and which we enjoyed today at lunchtime after rather over-doing the port last night! My informant stressed that if there is a brand you would particularly like, please ask for it as long  as possible before your cruise starts and they will endeavour to get it.

6 hours ago, dalliowner said:

We found the Lan very good it was a 2012 reserva and looking at home  was over £20 per bottle I do not think you can expect much better for a complimentary wine.

I stand corrected, my impression was it was the Crianza which is ok but many better for the price.  I could argue the same for the reserva but its a noble attempt.

Its one of the better complimentary lists I've seen for luxury lines.

• Like 1