Complimentary wines - Seabourn Encore February 2022

claranda

1 hour ago, RetiredandTravel said:

I stand corrected, my impression was it was the Crianza which is ok but many better for the price.  I could argue the same for the reserva but its a noble attempt.

Its one of the better complimentary lists I've seen for luxury lines.

The time we tried the LAN it was a crianza, not a reserva.  At least, it seems they have upgraded the LAN selection.

20 hours ago, sfvoyage said:

Villa Maria was available on Seabourn for a while a few years ago.

For several years, Villa Maria was available on HAL.  Then, a change was made as to who the distributor of their wines was.  Villa Maria was not a wine sold by that distributor.  Considering the "back office functions" for HAL/Seabourn in Seattle, I am certain that is why Villa Maria does not appear on the wine list.  

2 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

For several years, Villa Maria was available on HAL.  Then, a change was made as to who the distributor of their wines was.  Villa Maria was not a wine sold by that distributor.  Considering the "back office functions" for HAL/Seabourn in Seattle, I am certain that is why Villa Maria does not appear on the wine list.  

I think you're right about that.

For one blissful year, Stags Leap chardonnay was available (as one of the house whites) on a few of my SB cruises, but it has not reappeared ever since.  Now I'd consider that somewhat of a "fine wine", even though I pay scant attention to or buy into marketing copies.  After all, what is the definition of "fine wine"?  I for one enjoy some $10 wine just as well (or even better) than $30 ones.  And in my experience $200 champagnes are never 5x more enjoyable than $40 ones (most times the incremental enjoyment is negligible or nil when it comes to taste, although I can't comment on other criteria such as ego).

But I know that doesn't necessarily mean that I am not "sophisticated" - not that I care about that - because I know many so-called experts can be fooled in blind tastings.  À chacun son goût.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sfvoyage said:

But I know that doesn't necessarily mean that I am not "sophisticated" - not that I care about that - because I know many so-called experts can be fooled in blind tastings.

"Sophisticated" me regarding wine?  🤣    I know what my taste buds like.  I drink what I like.  And, if I think that Opus One is "swill", I have the right to make that determination for myself.  The high price of a wine that I have drunk has never influenced my opinion of that wine.  

• Like 1

On 2/20/2022 at 12:35 PM, marazul said:

Can't believe they are carrying that white zinfandel swill. 🤢

While I personally would not drink it, we travel with someone who loves it, over ice.

And, we had a fantastic wine guy who poured it as if she purchased a $200 bottle

On 2/21/2022 at 5:24 PM, margbem said:

Claranda - can we ask a huge favour, from one Yorkshire girl 😉to another? Could you photograph the Gold wine package wines for us, please?

And how’s the gin? Any Brockman’s and Fever Tree in evidence?!

Margbem - I posted this yesterday but it seems to have disappeared, so will try again. This is the Seabourn offering on wine now (attached). Fever tree is in the bars, but nor sure about Brockmans.

725765C5-776E-4708-8456-122703076F60.jpeg

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, margbem said:

Thank you!

When you have formal nights could you post how many people are in tuxes? Our friends board on the 11th March and can’t decide whether to pack one or not.

Really grateful for all info!

Was formal night on Monday, but we didn’t ‘do’ it as we wanted to go to the French night in the Colonnade (good decision, the chateaubriand was out of this world). However, in the TK bar pre dinner there were a good number of tux and dinner jackets in evidence - perhaps more than usual, so no problem bringing one.

2 hours ago, claranda said:

Was formal night on Monday, but we didn’t ‘do’ it as we wanted to go to the French night in the Colonnade (good decision, the chateaubriand was out of this world). However, in the TK bar pre dinner there were a good number of tux and dinner jackets in evidence - perhaps more than usual, so no problem bringing one.

Would you have looked out of place if you had chosen to wear one and go to French night in the Colonnade?

The disadvantage of this new package, at least for me in December, was that I had to choose all the bottles that go into the package before they can purchase it for me.  I did, however, not have to choose the bottle to which I wish to apply the bonus amount until later.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sfvoyage said:

The disadvantage of this new package, at least for me in December, was that I had to choose all the bottles that go into the package before they can purchase it for me.  I did, however, not have to choose the bottle to which I wish to apply the bonus amount until later.

Can’t really see the sense in having to choose them without seeing the menus you would like to match them to.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, crickette said:

Would you have looked out of place if you had chosen to wear one and go to French night in the Colonnade?

Well personally my dear, I never look out of place whether I’m over or under-dressed! At least, it doesn’t bother me either way and shouldn’t bother your friends. But no, the French quarter that night was pretty much us informal types.

Clarandra

Ma y thanks for checking out the non alcoholic drinks for me.   I have never found myself in this position before and have decided on doing it this way so that the two drinks I am currently allowed can be cocktails before and after dinner.

Good news about the Becks too.  I enjoy a beer with lunch if it is hot.

• 1 year later...
On 2/23/2022 at 7:15 PM, sfvoyage said:

On Encore on the moment - choose wines as go along - he tells you when you hit a target for a free bottle and asks if wish to continue to next level.

Drinking Opus One at moment and thus hit top target for a free $200 bottle on night one 😀

• Like 2

On 1/21/2024 at 3:31 AM, Davidjm2389 said:

Current Seabourn Encore complementary wine list in AsiaIMG_3831.thumb.jpeg.84195ebf88cbe593100ba7fdb21d3aaa.jpeg

Was that easy to obtain? Trying to get that on Regent sailings (in our experience) can be like getting blood out of a stone?

On 1/23/2024 at 2:38 PM, Huggsy said:

Was that easy to obtain? Trying to get that on Regent sailings (in our experience) can be like getting blood out of a stone?

Sorry to hear that. We have had no problem getting a list of included wines sent to our cabin the first day on board. We just find the sommelier and request it (11 Regent cruises). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am curious if anyone from Seabourn reads these. If it is plausible...  I see no harm in stating opinions and preferences to the complementary wine list here. ( Beringer Zin is NOT a Fine wine even if people enjoy it). In fact sharing ones opinion about said wine list or an individual wine,  is not a DIG to anyone that enjoys that said wine.

If i were new to Seabourn, I would expect "Fine wines and Spirits" because it is Marketed as such. Seabourn Cruise line is not a "high ration " cruise line. The price per passenger matches their marketing product.  A wine list of  grocery store low shelf wines is not in my book "Fine Wines or Spirits"

My opinion is  Seabourn is doing pretty good on the spirit list. But it should be safe for any of us to say the Comp wine list  is disappointing. For those suggesting we can pay for a fine wine if we do not like the comp list is unfair. ( We DID pay for complementary "Fine wines and Spirits") I think it is stated "premium wines and spirits are not included as complementary" 

It ruffles my feathers a bit and leaves me with an unsettled feeling to see people blasted for sharing their opinion. Perhaps the suggestion box might be a better avenue to voice this concern. But, what IF some or even one staff member from Seabourn really cares about Cruise Critic members opinions? it may evoke a change or 2 before we board the ship.   Am I wishful thinking?

Edited by chuckncole

I think you may find that this 'fine wines' for the  complimentary selection applies to other lines as well as Seabourn.  It should not be so, and has received many comments over the years, including from me, but so far it is almost as if the various lines collude in their false advertising.  Though it is true that most of them include some fairly top shelf spirits, which seems a bit odd.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1