Please compare Oceania to Azamara

kent4489

Hello,

We are looking at a couple of Oceania itineraries as the time we are looking for did not have any Azamara cruises that appealed to us. I was just wondering if anyone has experienced both cruise lines and could share similarities and differences. I appreciate the feedback.

Thank you.

Just did an Oceania cruise last month, and can compare to Pre-Covid Azamara.  The R-ships are nearly identical, but Oceania also has the newer O-class which is about twice as big and has four gourmet specialty restaurants included in the price plus larger cabins across the board (and many more categories with butlers).  Food on Oceania is the best [not just as a comparison between these two, but I think it really does live up to their slogan of the "Finest Cuisine at Sea"].  Other than that, the two didn't strike me as that different:  entertainment is not at the level of the mega-ships; enrichment isn't at the level of the best luxury lines [Crystal, RIP].  Azamara has the strength of visible and personable officers, which we find adds a lot to our enjoyment and to the ability to get things fixed quickly.

The biggest strength of Azamara, and what keeps them at the top of my list for cruise planning, is itineraries – but apparently this one isn't working out for you this time, so if you found a good itinerary on Oceania I think you will enjoy the cruise.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

depends also on the size of ship for Oceania

They have the same R ships  but also the larger O class ships

And starting next year Oceania will have brand-new A-class ships.  Let's hope Sycamore is already working on designs for new Azamara ships!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kent4489 said:

Hello,

We are looking at a couple of Oceania itineraries as the time we are looking for did not have any Azamara cruises that appealed to us. I was just wondering if anyone has experienced both cruise lines and could share similarities and differences. I appreciate the feedback.

Thank you.

FWIW: Azamara was sold last year to Sycamore Partners. Who knows what really will continue (good or bad).

That said, several years ago, I had the opportunity to attend a cruise event that featured a presentation by the then CEO of Azamara. To my question of “what is the difference between O and A,” his answer was: “A is about overnights in port. O is about food.”

Of course, since then, O has added many more overnights to their longer itineraries and the food remains excellent/unparalleled in the industry. Also, O’s “R” ships have received a recent major interior redesign/upgrade (Oceania NEXT) while Azamara may/may not see that same effort from the new owners.

Thank you for the quick replies! Yes, we are looking at itineraries on either the Nautica or Sirena. We prefer the smaller ships and wouldn't even consider larger. Our Azamara experience was pre-Covid. Our last cruise was a few months ago on the Celebrity Flora. (That was awesome, 100 pax capacity, but we only had 42 pax.) Thanks again for the feedback.

5 minutes ago, kent4489 said:

Thank you for the quick replies! Yes, we are looking at itineraries on either the Nautica or Sirena. We prefer the smaller ships and wouldn't even consider larger. Our Azamara experience was pre-Covid. Our last cruise was a few months ago on the Celebrity Flora. (That was awesome, 100 pax capacity, but we only had 42 pax.) Thanks again for the feedback.

I would go for the itinerary that suits you best

The ships will be similar

Even though the O class ships are larger they do not feel crowded 

We like both ship sizes 😉

• Like 1

I consider them as being fairly similar, and have a high expectation of enjoying a cruise on either.  

The larger standard cabins on the O class ships are nice, as well as the ships having a bit more entertainment and public space.  Because of the space, the O class seems more suitable for mobility-challenged guests and seemed to draw far more of them.  

I have a slight preference for the included standard drinks and tips on Azamara vs the (limited) included specialty dining on Oceania.  If you are into lobster, Oceania is too.  I thought Oceania was a bit better on buffet and MDR, while Azamara was a bit better on specialty dining, but I could see how others might have a different opinion.

• Like 1