An African adventure - Whisper - Cape Town to Mahe

Silver Spectre

Arriving in Zanzibar this morning and we have a ship wide PCR test. This has been required by the authorities in the Seychelles, who insisted it's done today and not on our 3rd and last day here on Friday. Those who have had Covid on the ship are excused this time, but their grace period runs out at three months. We also loose one of our three International hostesses who is going back to Southern Argentina on holiday, a trip of just over 2 days!

A technical request. The Whisper now has two onboard router names - Silversea Guest and Silversea Guest Wifi. Don’t know why, but if you move sometimes you get kicked off the one you are attached to and have to reconnect using the other one. Sometimes it just happens when you are stationary. There has also been an ongoing problem with drop out and no reconnect at all for a period. To me this seems to be an onboard technical issue as opposed to a satellite issue.

This morning I couldn’t connect directly for some time, however my Times app managed to download today’s issue in the background.

Any ideas anyone?

7 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

A technical request. The Whisper now has two onboard router names - Silversea Guest and Silversea Guest Wifi. Don’t know why, but if you move sometimes you get kicked off the one you are attached to and have to reconnect using the other one. Sometimes it just happens when you are stationary. There has also been an ongoing problem with drop out and no reconnect at all for a period. To me this seems to be an onboard technical issue as opposed to a satellite issue.

This morning I couldn’t connect directly for some time, however my Times app managed to download today’s issue in the background.

Any ideas anyone?

I have had a similar issue on Cloud and Explorer though it said Silversea guest and Silversea crew.  It would drop from guest and try to reconnect me to crew which didn't work obviously.  The front desk claimed it had to do with where I was in the ship, and would happen when I moved locations. 

• Like 1

We had two guests who jumped ship in Durban and went native, somewhere, and who arrived back pierside as we got to Zanzibar. As the ship wasn’t cleared when the PCR’s were done before the Serengeti tour party left and they were on that tour, they didn’t get on the ship and they didn’t get tested. So to be safe all the party coming back got RATs. Not everyone was happy!

There was an announcement as we left last night that we are currently COVID clear, long may it last.

• Like 3

Out in the Indian Ocean, 5’ south of the Equator and 350 miles from Mahe. At last the rain has gone and the skies are clearing. No lifeboat lunch today as it was too wet. An interesting travel discussion between Fernando and Pico Iyer, a Tale Teller,  in the theatre this morning. Out of about 100 guests there were 10 or so who ignore the mask wearing requirement, and of course no one dares to speak to them.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

Interesting WC event today, tomorrow and Monday, lunch under the lifeboats on deck 5. Space means splitting the WCers into 3 groups. Way too much food again!

This sounds different........how was lunch? So they set up tables along the deck?....did you order off a special menu?

6 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

Out in the Indian Ocean, 5’ south of the Equator and 350 miles from Mahe. Out of about 100 guests there were 10 or so who ignore the mask wearing requirement, and of course no one dares to speak to them.

Appreciate all of the interesting visuals and traveling details on your adventure.  Am surprised about those ignoring the mask requirements and that there are not any consequences coming from the ship officials.  Has that been the pattern from the start of the cruise?  Or, a more recent development?  Keep up the great sharing!!  Good luck on your journey. 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio   

15 hours ago, Lois R said:

This sounds different........how was lunch? So they set up tables along the deck?....did you order off a special menu?

Hi Lois, this event is only for the full World Cruisers. The 30 or so segmenters are not invited. Not a problem for us and as it was raining yesterday it was cancelled. That in itself may have confused some as they would have had no idea what was going on.

13 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Appreciate all of the interesting visuals and traveling details on your adventure.  Am surprised about those ignoring the mask requirements and that there are not any consequences coming from the ship officials.  Has that been the pattern from the start of the cruise?  Or, a more recent development?  Keep up the great sharing!!  Good luck on your journey. 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio   

It’s really only been happening since the lifting of the general mask wearing requirement which was announced by the Captain at the beginning of March. There has never been anything in writing though. As always there will be some who ignore rules and don’t give a flying ****.

• Like 1