Main Swimming Pool question

SailorPaulH

15 hours ago, kkapaldo said:

I don't know if what I did was acceptable but no one said anything to me.  We were at the pool for a while, then went to "tea time" in the Wintergarden afterwards.  I had a swim coverup on over my swimsuit but the coverup was somewhat see thru.  No one said a word.

I try very hard not to be negative on the boards, but personally I congratulate those who didn't say a word. I would have been polite about it too, but your attire would have been talked about at dinner and for several days after. I think Wintergarden Tea deserves elegant casual wear, even to a greater extent than dinner. This is something that's talked about on other threads. That said, I hope you had a great time on the cruise!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, austinetc said:

I try very hard not to be negative on the boards, but personally I congratulate those who didn't say a word. I would have been polite about it too, but your attire would have been talked about at dinner and for several days after. I think Wintergarden Tea deserves elegant casual wear, even to a greater extent than dinner. This is something that's talked about on other threads. That said, I hope you had a great time on the cruise!

Totally agree!  And also that it would have been a topic of conversation for days!  😉

WOW - didn't know that I performed such a "fashion faux pas" with wearing a swim coverup.  But to say that tea deserves "elegant casual wear" and there were plenty of days that people went straight from their excursions to "afternoon tea" - most if not any of the people in the Wintergarden were far from dressed elegantly.  On the cruise with about 500 others, I never felt that I was underdressed as for breakfast and dinner I either had on slacks with nice tops or dresses/skirts and tops.  I didn't think Viking cruise passengers were so judgmental 

35 minutes ago, kkapaldo said:

WOW - didn't know that I performed such a "fashion faux pas" with wearing a swim coverup.  But to say that tea deserves "elegant casual wear" and there were plenty of days that people went straight from their excursions to "afternoon tea" - most if not any of the people in the Wintergarden were far from dressed elegantly.  On the cruise with about 500 others, I never felt that I was underdressed as for breakfast and dinner I either had on slacks with nice tops or dresses/skirts and tops.  I didn't think Viking cruise passengers were so judgmental 

Now you know.

1 hour ago, kkapaldo said:

This is a tough crowd. Very tough.

Not so much a touch crowd as a rude crowd.  To think that people would sit around all evening talking about what someone wears is so middle school.  I feel bad for people that are such rude keyboard warriors but wouldn't say anything to your face.  I'm glad I don't feel it's necessary to belittle someone on an Internet forum.  Sorry I ruffled their feathers.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, kkapaldo said:

Not so much a touch crowd as a rude crowd.  To think that people would sit around all evening talking about what someone wears is so middle school.  I feel bad for people that are such rude keyboard warriors but wouldn't say anything to your face.  I'm glad I don't feel it's necessary to belittle someone on an Internet forum.  Sorry I ruffled their feathers.

You asked if your outfit was acceptable or not, thus asking people to pass judgement. Swimwear in a lounge setting isn't appropriate, as per Viking's dress code. If I had been present at the time, and you asked my opinion of your attire, I would have suggested you change. 

The strength of these boards is that you get honesty, not platitudes. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kkapaldo said:

Hardly being rude.

You raised the subject of your attire. Giving you the benefit of the doubt, that you didn't research Viking's "Rig of the Day" guidelines I copied them from the website FAQ, so hopefully on future cruises you will be aware of the requested standards and dress accordingly.

It doesn't take much effort to return to the cabin for a quick change before heading back up to Wintergarden for Afternoon Tea.

• Like 2

My afternoon tea story: In 1983 I had a “tea date” with some friends at the grande dame of Hong Kong hotels, the Peninsula Hotel. I waltzed right in looking very hot and sweaty and — even worse — wearing shorts. The hotel staff promptly threw me out. So much for my date.

I learned my lesson, though. I returned to the Peninsula Hotel in 2019, all tarted up and looking sharp, and enjoyed a proper teatime with my wife. Nobody threw me out. Life was good.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BigBee51 said:

Not to hi-jack this thread about appropriate pool related attire but what is the appropriate attire to do a brisk morning/evening jaunt around the the deck? 

I'm up on deck every morning at sea prior to 06:00 for my walk, wearing shorts and t-shirt.

5 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

But Andy wears the same rig even in snow and rain.  I once read something about crazy Scots....🍺

Haha, Judi must have told you the story of when I picked her up at Edinburgh Airport back in 1980, with shorts and flip flops, in the snow. Terrible storm, as we had about 1/4 " of snow.😁 

4 hours ago, kkapaldo said:

Few things ruffle feathers on any cruise discussion board more than one’s wardrobe choices. (I actually find it a bit of a relief from the Covid arguments; it’s like a little return to normal.)

In any case, in my experience, everyone is at their worst on the internet. We found most Viking cruisers to be quite friendly and fun in person.

• Like 2