Main Swimming Pool question

SailorPaulH

10 minutes ago, SailorPaulH said:

Is there a changing room/area on Deck 7 for the Main Pool? If not, what is dress protocol to get from your cabin to pool (wear a bath robe over swim wear?) - I know they have some protocols about walking around ship in certain apparel. Thanks.

No changing room.  Women usually wear a cover up.  A man may wear a T shirt.  People also wear their room robes to both the main pool and the spa facility.  Both elevator banks open fairly close to the main pool with the forward elevators located right at the entrance to the spa and gym.  The World Cafe and Pool Grill are very casual during the day and pool attire is acceptable as long as you are covered up.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No changing rooms. Wear a cover up/t-shirt--please do not walk around or ride the elevator in your trunks with no shirt.

We saw a gentlemen in the World Cafe in his swim trunks and flip flops. He also had on a button down the the front shirt (matched his bathers) that was completely unbuttoned. Not appropriate for going through a buffet line or dining. We don't want to see that in a restaurant, nor do we want your body hair in our buffet food. If you are in a lounger by one of the pools--then that's fine. Just don't do it in a dining venue.

Same thing for women--please do not walk around the Explorer's Lounge during cocktail hour in your bathing suit with no cover up. How hard is it to throw on a sundress/cover up or a pair of shorts and t-shirt? 

• Like 5

Robes aren't officially allowed, but are generally accepted if the shortest or most discrete route to/from room is taken. The pool grill and cafe is casual, swimwear falls under sportswear, which is only allowed in the gym, walking track and when actually in the pools

• Like 1

Please do not wear your bathrobe in pool area. In spa area fine , but not the main pool or infinity pool. I always wear a pair of shorts and t shirt, or a coverup that looks like a sleaveless short dress.

Lot of swimming  bottoms now look like shorts and with those sun guard  swim  shirt tops , they look really nice on men. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, broker1217 said:

No changing rooms. Wear a cover up/t-shirt--please do not walk around or ride the elevator in your trunks with no shirt.

We saw a gentlemen in the World Cafe in his swim trunks and flip flops. He also had on a button down the the front shirt (matched his bathers) that was completely unbuttoned. Not appropriate for going through a buffet line or dining. We don't want to see that in a restaurant, nor do we want your body hair in our buffet food. If you are in a lounger by one of the pools--then that's fine. Just don't do it in a dining venue.

Same thing for women--please do not walk around the Explorer's Lounge during cocktail hour in your bathing suit with no cover up. How hard is it to throw on a sundress/cover up or a pair of shorts and t-shirt? 

Yikes! Seriously? Who would actually think that is acceptable behaviour. 

2 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

Yeah. We also saw folks in robes in World Cafe.

I get that the Panama Canal cruise is really hot weather, but how hard is it to actually wear clothing in a dining venue-lol.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Azulann said:

Please do not wear your bathrobe in pool area. In spa area fine , but not the main pool or infinity pool. I always wear a pair of shorts and t shirt, or a coverup that looks like a sleaveless short dress.

Lot of swimming  bottoms now look like shorts and with those sun guard  swim  shirt tops , they look really nice on men. 

Thanks - swim shirt top/swim shorts is great. From what I can tell, I have only one deck of stairs and no eateries between me and pool. Thanks everyone for info.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, broker1217 said:

Yeah. We also saw folks in robes in World Cafe.

I get that the Panama Canal cruise is really hot weather, but how hard is it to actually wear clothing in a dining venue-lol.

I'm probably going to be flamed for sounding like a snob, but I wonder if it's folks coming to Viking from the megaships, where that sort of thing seems to be acceptable, rather than Viking's typical previous river cruiser type demographic

1 hour ago, Azulann said:

I get not wearing your robe in the restaurant BUT why not to the pool?  I wear a cover up because I use the robe in the room and don't want sunscreen all over it but I don't find the robes offensive.  Barechested men and pajama bottoms anywhere on the ship I find offensive!

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, deec said:

I get not wearing your robe in the restaurant BUT why not to the pool?  I wear a cover up because I use the robe in the room and don't want sunscreen all over it but I don't find the robes offensive.  Barechested men and pajama bottoms anywhere on the ship I find offensive!

Yeah, I’m not clear why wearing a robe to the pool would be a problem either. Seems very appropriate to me (and saves packing space, too). 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, deec said:

The pool area is also a dining/lounge/cinema area, the pool is a bit of an afterthought. The infinity pool area is accessed via the world cafe and is part of the outdoor dining/bar area

Neither pool seems to get a lot of use. The main pool often has somebody doing laps early morning before breakfast, but other than that I've only seen a handful of people in them. 

1 hour ago, KBs mum said:

Robes aren't officially allowed, but are generally accepted if the shortest or most discrete route to/from room is taken. The pool grill and cafe is casual, swimwear falls under sportswear, which is only allowed in the gym, walking track and when actually in the pools

This sounds confrontational, it’s not, I would never dream of dressing like that, but you are saying this isn’t allowed, can you please tell us where to find the Viking view on this.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, longterm said:

So, I guess wearing a mankini is out of the question. 🙂

OMG, I saw them in Puerto Morelos in MX  many years ago. The big gold chain around neck  with  the speedo  was a sight to behold. 😀

Just my opinion  that  a bathrobe from  room is for use in cabin and  in spa, not at pool. Others of course  see no problem...

And I  have aft cabins and would never walk down  halls use  the elevator in a bathrobe.

😊

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Haworth said:

This sounds confrontational, it’s not, I would never dream of dressing like that, but you are saying this isn’t allowed, can you please tell us where to find the Viking view on this.

It's in the dress code guidance, robes aren't specifically mentioned, but they come under other categories. 

I've not seen any confrontation with those going pool to room or vice versa, what is frowned on is eating in the robe or sitting amd/or wandering about. 

Used as a cover for a 'quick dash' is generally viewed as reasonable, used as clothing is not

2 hours ago, KBs mum said:

We also saw that as well (different cruise).  The very obese male swimmer in line at the World Cafe obviously had no shame or embarassment over showing his open shirted middle flopping down over his swim trunks.   Just the culture of the world these days I guess.

7 minutes ago, Azulann said:

Just my opinion  that  a bathrobe from  room is for use in cabin and  in spa, not at pool. Others of course  see no problem...

And I  have aft cabins and would never walk down  halls use  the elevator in a bathrobe.

😊

I don't like it, but I will put up with it if discrete. As it's not clear there are no changing areas I can understand why somebody may not have realised a covering garment is needed and has resorted to using a robe as plan B. 

Both the pools are a bit gimmicky, seems odd not to have some sort of changing cubicle area adjacent

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

I don't like it, but I will put up with it if discrete. As it's not clear there are no changing areas I can understand why somebody may not have realised a covering garment is needed and has resorted to using a robe as plan B. 

Both the pools are a bit gimmicky, seems odd not to have some sort of changing cubicle area adjacent

For those of us who enjoy being in the water, neither pool is “gimmicky” (well ok the whole fake infinity thing might be a bit) and if you aren’t comfortable coming in whatever you sunbathe in with either a cover up or a robe, there are two sets of nice restrooms closeby the covered pool and one restroom apiece right at the aft pool which could be used as changing rooms. As I recall, the ships’ changing rooms I’ve experienced on other lines were really just restrooms with a hook and a bench. 

250016E3-443F-4EF3-A093-F3852881A90B.jpeg

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 7

41 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

For those of us who enjoy being in the water, neither pool is “gimmicky” (well ok the whole fake infinity thing might be a bit) and if you aren’t comfortable coming in whatever you sunbathe in with either a cover up or a robe, there are two sets of nice restrooms closeby the covered pool and one restroom apiece right at the aft pool which could be used as changing rooms. As I recall, the ships’ changing rooms I’ve experienced on other lines were really just restrooms with a hook and a bench. 

250016E3-443F-4EF3-A093-F3852881A90B.jpeg

It's a gimmick in that it's not really long enough to swim properly in, and it's difficult to avoid colliding with other users during turns and laps. It's fine for splashing about in. The infinity pool is a glorified kids paddling pool. 

As swimming isn't easily possible unless getting up very early or staying on board in port I haven't bothered with it. If I did I would take a cover up garment, I would certainly not use a public toilet for changing. 

I've actually never taken time to do sunbathing after a few goes at it many years ago, it's hot and boring, and bars beckon! 😁

Edited by KBs mum