Main Swimming Pool question

SailorPaulH

1 hour ago, KBs mum said:

It's a gimmick in that it's not really long enough to swim properly in, and it's difficult to avoid colliding with other users during turns and laps. It's fine for splashing about in. The infinity pool is a glorified kids paddling pool. 

As swimming isn't easily possible unless getting up very early or staying on board in port I haven't bothered with it. If I did I would take a cover up garment, I would certainly not use a public toilet for changing. 

I've actually never taken time to do sunbathing after a few goes at it many years ago, it's hot and boring, and bars beckon! 😁

The infinity pool is deep too, so unless you're 6' or taller, you won't be able to stand in the middle of the pool...

2 hours ago, KBs mum said:

It's a gimmick in that it's not really long enough to swim properly in, and it's difficult to avoid colliding with other users during turns and laps. It's fine for splashing about in. The infinity pool is a glorified kids paddling pool. 

As swimming isn't easily possible unless getting up very early or staying on board in port I haven't bothered with it. If I did I would take a cover up garment, I would certainly not use a public toilet for changing. 

I've actually never taken time to do sunbathing after a few goes at it many years ago, it's hot and boring, and bars beckon! 😁

It could be a result of me knowing the factors limiting the size and depth of cruise ship pools, but I was actually fairly impressed with the Viking pools, especially with the depth of them. Even the infinity pool, when filled to the higher level is about 6' in places. For cruise ship pools, I found them very reasonable. Quite enjoyed hanging off the edge of the infinity pool, sipping a cocktail, especially in the Tropics.

Unfortunately, the size of upper deck pools are limited by their negative impact on the ship's stability, which basically states weight low is good, but weight high is bad. At 10 lbs per Imperial Gallon, the pool has many tons of water, at at considerable height from the Keel, which then requires lots of weight below decks to achieve the desired GM (the part that ensures the ship floats upright).

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

It could be a result of me knowing the factors limiting the size and depth of cruise ship pools, but I was actually fairly impressed with the Viking pools, especially with the depth of them. Even the infinity pool, when filled to the higher level is about 6' in places. For cruise ship pools, I found them very reasonable. Quite enjoyed hanging off the edge of the infinity pool, sipping a cocktail, especially in the Tropics.

Unfortunately, the size of upper deck pools are limited by their negative impact on the ship's stability, which basically states weight low is good, but weight high is bad. At 10 lbs per Imperial Gallon, the pool has many tons of water, at at considerable height from the Keel, which then requires lots of weight below decks to achieve the desired GM (the part that ensures the ship floats upright).

I hadn't thought about the weight issue, thought it was just lack of room. I've just never seen the point of pools that are too small to properly swim in, on land or sea. It wouldn't matter to me if the Viking ships didn't have any, as physics prevent them being big enough. 

I always thought that the ocean ships have them as a marketing gimmick, similar to the nordic spa that most on board don't visit. 

There is a theory amongst the swimming fans that the pool in the spa could be adapted to be a never ending  pool by altering the speed of the jets to form a current to swim against, no idea if it would work or not. Could result in a lot of comedy moments! 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, KBs mum said:

There is a theory amongst the swimming fans that the pool in the spa could be adapted to be a never ending  pool by altering the speed of the jets to form a current to swim against, no idea if it would work or not. Could result in a lot of comedy moments! 

I haven't been on a Princess ship in nearly a decade, but their forward pools had this feature and it was great.  My shoulders don't allow lap swimming, but I would go up there and jog against the current every day.  LOVED IT.  It would be pretty awful in the spa pool though with people flapping about as others are trying to relax.

On my last VO cruise, there was a man that did laps in the infinity pool for hours every day. Three strokes, flip, three strokes, flip, and on and on.  We couldn't figure out why he wouldn't just do that in the main pool, and it prevented anyone else from getting in as he took up the whole middle.  It was so . . . odd.  

1 hour ago, amyr said:

I haven't been on a Princess ship in nearly a decade, but their forward pools had this feature and it was great.  My shoulders don't allow lap swimming, but I would go up there and jog against the current every day.  LOVED IT.  It would be pretty awful in the spa pool though with people flapping about as others are trying to relax.

On my last VO cruise, there was a man that did laps in the infinity pool for hours every day. Three strokes, flip, three strokes, flip, and on and on.  We couldn't figure out why he wouldn't just do that in the main pool, and it prevented anyone else from getting in as he took up the whole middle.  It was so . . . odd.  

Agree it was odd but perhaps the main pool wasn’t deep enough? Just spoke to DH (former competitive swimmer) who says he doubts I’m correct. He hates the pool isn’t long enough to do laps. So maybe he didn’t like swimming indoors? Too warm if the roof was closed? He hadn’t noticed the pool was there? He was obviously crazy 😂

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Clay Clayton said:

Agree it was odd but perhaps the main pool wasn’t deep enough? Just spoke to DH (former competitive swimmer) who says he doubts I’m correct. He hates the pool isn’t long enough to do laps. So maybe he didn’t like swimming indoors? Too warm if the roof was closed? He hadn’t noticed the pool was there? He was obviously crazy 😂

I really liked the infinity pool; on our last cruise down to the Caribbean, I was just 7 weeks out of a left shoulder replacement, so getting in the pool and doing mild exercises with my shoulder was good therapy. It's been 4 months now since surgery, and my physical therapist has instructed me to spend a little time in the pool every day, so I'll probably try to use the outside pool. We also plan to check out the Nordic spa, which we never used on our last trip.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KBs mum said:

I hadn't thought about the weight issue, thought it was just lack of room. I've just never seen the point of pools that are too small to properly swim in, on land or sea. It wouldn't matter to me if the Viking ships didn't have any, as physics prevent them being big enough. 

I always thought that the ocean ships have them as a marketing gimmick, similar to the nordic spa that most on board don't visit. 

It’s so good that viking didn’t just design its ships for you😂.

Some of us enjoy just being in the water and have been that way all my life.  I never swim laps in the ocean but could spend all day and never get out. The Nordic Spa is one of Viking’s big selling points for us. I tend to visit everyday as do many others. If they didn’t have pools or the spa, I suspect we wouldn’t be such Viking loyalists. I have ti admit though I do wish they had a set of stairs to get out of the pool-hauling this orca sized body up those ladders isn’t very elegant! 😢

2D3B65D4-9B79-435D-8F49-BB42027FD287.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

It’s so good that viking didn’t just design its ships for you😂.

Some of us enjoy just being in the water and have been that way all my life.  I never swim laps in the ocean but could spend all day and never get out. The Nordic Spa is one of Viking’s big selling points for us. I tend to visit everyday as do many others. If they didn’t have pools or the spa, I suspect we wouldn’t be such Viking loyalists. I have ti admit though I do wish they had a set of stairs to get out of the pool-hauling this orca sized body up those ladders isn’t very elegant! 😢

I like swimming, learned to swim in the sea as a child, used to swim in rivers as well. Swam competitively for a while. Unfortunately an injury makes open water swimming unsafe now (legs don't work properly) 

The only time I'm in water and not swimming is when snorkeling (with a safety rope and float, now) and then I'll be watching the denizens of the not very deep. 

Ironic that we're floating about in an ocean, and can't find somewhere to swim😊

1 hour ago, Kentishincanada said:

Yes Pam, I sincerely hope too many people don’t discover the spa pool.  I have excellent memories of meeting you in the spa during the Athens/Venice cruise a few years ago.  A fine place to relax and chat.      Jill

How lovely to hear from you.  Have done several Viking cruises since.  Last one at New Year was cancelled due to the French not allowing Brits to get off ships.  As It happens they did but Viking offered us the opportunity to postpone.  Now booked for September.

The spa is one of my favourite places.

1 hour ago, Mrs Miggins said:

How lovely to hear from you.  Have done several Viking cruises since.  Last one at New Year was cancelled due to the French not allowing Brits to get off ships.  As It happens they did but Viking offered us the opportunity to postpone.  Now booked for September.

The spa is one of my favourite places.

We also managed to take the long Southern Atlantic Crossing just before the shut-down.    It was wonderful.  We are now booked in October VO Istanbul to Athens.  We have also managed a couple of trips to the UK and hoping to get over again in April. 

2 hours ago, KBs mum said:

I like swimming, learned to swim in the sea as a child, used to swim in rivers as well. Swam competitively for a while. Unfortunately an injury makes open water swimming unsafe now (legs don't work properly) 

The only time I'm in water and not swimming is when snorkeling (with a safety rope and float, now) and then I'll be watching the denizens of the not very deep. 

Ironic that we're floating about in an ocean, and can't find somewhere to swim😊

KBs mum -  I hear you!   I also enjoy swimming, and also learned to swim at a young age.  Wound up swimming competitively through college.  Since I grew up in the Los Angeles area, also loved body surfing at Newport and Zuma Beaches (back in the days of the Beach Boys!). 

I love all the pools on Viking ships, and certainly have no expectations of "getting exercise" much from them.  But they can be so refreshing!   Didn't even try the main pool until last cruise, because the pool area had always been so hot and muggy (from roof being closed).  However, on our recent TransAtlantic, they had the roof open a lot - and then the main pool was fantastic.  Deep on one end and a bit shallower on the other end.  Still not quite enough for laps, but nice just to get and enjoy!

• Like 4

Unless the wind is really hooting we are at the aft pool...never know when you might see a free dolphin show!  Love the aft pool or hot tub with an adult beverage when leaving port!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

KBs mum -  I hear you!   I also enjoy swimming, and also learned to swim at a young age.  Wound up swimming competitively through college.  Since I grew up in the Los Angeles area, also loved body surfing at Newport and Zuma Beaches (back in the days of the Beach Boys!). 

I love all the pools on Viking ships, and certainly have no expectations of "getting exercise" much from them.  But they can be so refreshing!   Didn't even try the main pool until last cruise, because the pool area had always been so hot and muggy (from roof being closed).  However, on our recent TransAtlantic, they had the roof open a lot - and then the main pool was fantastic.  Deep on one end and a bit shallower on the other end.  Still not quite enough for laps, but nice just to get and enjoy!

I'm from the UK, and grew up on cold water swimming, I don't find heated pools refreshing, they are good for exercise and phisio. As far as we are concerned, if you are just going to get wet the shower in the room is far more convenient, but we normally have the air con set lower than the pool temps in hotels whenever possible. 

Not particularly relevant fact, there is an all female group who swim in the sea off Cornwall all year round. Their group name is 'The Blue Tits' Why they'd name themselves after a bird I really have no idea  . . . 🤔😁

• Like 3

1 hour ago, deec said:

Unless the wind is really hooting we are at the aft pool...never know when you might see a free dolphin show!  Love the aft pool or hot tub with an adult beverage when leaving port!

We stay on the balcony to watch them in the bow wave, we also like looking out for other ships, which can't be done easily from the pool areas, too many people and furniture. We have a marine radar app which we can look ships up on. 

We focus on the things we can only do on holiday, we can splash about in a pool any day at home, we can't watch nautical goings on at home, or see the coastlines of other countries, so standing in a pool seems pointless. Swimming is good exercise, in the same way as using the walking track or gym. Good for the body as much as a leisure activity, and far easier on joints and muscles

1 hour ago, KBs mum said:

I'm from the UK, and grew up on cold water swimming, I don't find heated pools refreshing, they are good for exercise and phisio.

Absolutely!  That is why on our Dec cruise the main pool was so great!  It was NOT heated and although not ocean temps, was the kind you'd want for swimming laps if you had the length.  To me that was refreshing and it kept a decent number of people out - since I heard lots of complaints that it was too cold.  Not sure if that is normal for the Main Pool or not.  The Spa pool was always so crowded.  Even though COVID limitations were in place, people often stayed longer than their allotted times and no one really policed it.

• 1 month later...
On 2/23/2022 at 4:25 PM, Twitchly said:

DH likes to swim laps, so he brought a tether and used it in one of the pools, can’t remember which one. It was April in Northern Europe, so the pools weren’t heavily used. He often had the place to himself. 

I've got one of those I use for hotel swimming. I was wondering if folks were using it on the ships. Nice to know.

4 minutes ago, odblnt said:

I've got one of those I use for hotel swimming. I was wondering if folks were using it on the ships. Nice to know.

Affirmative, I saw a lady using one on the Viking Sun almost every morning.

16 minutes ago, odblnt said:

Sounds better than pure swimming.  We saw a gentleman swimming laps, but most of his time and effort were in touching the wall, turning around and pushing off.  Then take 2 strokes or so and repeat.  Didn't really seem worthwhile given the short length of the pool.  Of course I'm a normal lap swimmer (25 yard pool) so just doing wall turnarounds isn't much fun.

• Like 1

I don't know if what I did was acceptable but no one said anything to me.  We were at the pool for a while, then went to "tea time" in the Wintergarden afterwards.  I had a swim coverup on over my swimsuit but the coverup was somewhat see thru.  No one said a word.

2 hours ago, kkapaldo said:

I don't know if what I did was acceptable but no one said anything to me.  We were at the pool for a while, then went to "tea time" in the Wintergarden afterwards.  I had a swim coverup on over my swimsuit but the coverup was somewhat see thru.  No one said a word.

Here is the Viking Ocean dress code, which is available in the FAQ

During the day, dress is casual including shorts (if the season is warm), slacks or jeans and comfortable shoes for walking tours. Swimsuits, brief shorts, cover-ups and exercise attire should be reserved for the Fitness Center, pool areas and Sports Deck. There are no “formal nights” in the evening; evening dress is “elegant casual” for all dining venues, performances and special events. On these occasions, required attire for ladies includes a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse; for gentlemen, trousers and a collared shirt. A tie and jacket are optional; jeans are not permitted. The evening dress excludes World Café where the dress remains casual after 6:00 PM.