Why do P&O keep everything a secret?

BornLucky

11 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

two nights in a hotel in Southampton before the cruise and suffer Peppa Pig world again. At least that way we can easily stock up on things. False economy I know.

Sorry  - slow on the uptake there! 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Fionboard said:

Even in formal bars (metropolis and red bar) you will be allowed in as long as you are dressed smartly (as you would for a smart restaurant).  Once saw a man in swimming shorts and flip flops asked to leave!

They have obviously lowered their standards because when last on Ventura you could only enter Metropolis if you were dressed accordingly as the dress code for the evening. It was also the same in the Planet Bar on Azura.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TheBigBean said:

Many thanks. It is all becoming clearer now.  One last question if you would be so kind - would we be better to select freedom dining if we plan to eat in the buffet on a number of nights? i.e. by choosing a sitting are we committing to eat in the same place at the same time or is it just that if we want to eat in the MDR that is the only time we can do it, but we are free to go elsewhere if we like.

Hi Big Bean..I hope you are already getting excited to do your first cruise...I remember all those worries and guess what..none of those worries happened and we had a great time.

We got to learn the lingo  ...its decks not floors, cabin not bedroom, ship not boat etc.

We are off again next week.

Ventura is one of our favourite ships. The decor makes it lighter than its sister ship Azura. Ventura has some good artwork on its stairwells (the only way we can remember our deck is by this!).Most ships are a bit of the same in design. Usually the MDR (main dining rooms) are on the 5th/6th/7th decks and Buffet can be found near the top on 15th/16th decks. There is 1st and 2nd sitting one or two MDR and then there is open seating/select/freedom dining. We much prefer the freedom dining just for the reasons you said. On port days, if we have been busy all day, the last thing I want to do is get dressed up for dinner. We therefore would go to buffet those nights. It saves apologising to your fixed table the night before. Also freedom dining means your table companions will change each time you go.

I don't know if you know Southampton docks. You say you want to book trains, so presume will get a taxi from the station to whichever dock you are on..Ventura is quite often on Gate 10 which is handy for you. If getting a taxi ask him to stop at the Boots near your dock/Ikea and get him to wait for 5 mins. This will be cheaper than ordering another taxi to go back and do the same thing.

I hope you enjoy yourself...it becomes an expensive hobby, this sailing lark!!

Chris

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheBigBean said:

Yes, nappies, baby wipes, snacks that the kids will definitely like for emergencies, milk etc. I'm sure some of these things will be available at a premium somewhere which is why it is a false economy. Just makes life easier.

Yes, Boots is very close but not close enough to walk to. Could you drive down, sorry don't know where you are coming from and pay for the parking at the port. We have just paid for ours for next week but never alters. Cost for 2 weeks is £162. This would save on hotels etc.

Chris

1 minute ago, CRUISENSNOOZE said:

Yes, Boots is very close but not close enough to walk to. Could you drive down, sorry don't know where you are coming from and pay for the parking at the port. We have just paid for ours for next week but never alters. Cost for 2 weeks is £162. This would save on hotels etc.

Chris

Unfortunately, we don't have a car, but your idea of stopping a taxi works well.

Just now, TheBigBean said:

Unfortunately, we don't have a car, but your idea of stopping a taxi works well.

Yes, much cheaper as they have a start fee of £3.50 (well was that a couple of years ago) and its about 20p per 50 seconds stopping, so 15 minutes is cheaper than another taxi. Good luck...

Chris

15 hours ago, wowzz said:

Normally you would not have a formal night on a port day.

wowzz, I wasn't talking about a formal evening as never known one on a port day. I meant just the faff of getting ready, so usually its a quick shower and change into more casual clothes for the buffet that evening.

21 minutes ago, CRUISENSNOOZE said:

wowzz, I wasn't talking about a formal evening as never known one on a port day. I meant just the faff of getting ready, so usually its a quick shower and change into more casual clothes for the buffet that evening.

To be honest, we dress the same for the buffet and the MDR. Casual for both.

• Like 1

Interesting thread drift but coming back to the topic, P&O used to put port times in brochures/on-line but stopped doing it a few years back now. I suppose they want to avoid pax complaining if things change and they miss independent excursions they have booked etc. I do however agree that over the years P&O shoreside seem to have made everything more difficult for pax. Another example of that is how they have successfully made their website worse with every 'upgrade'.

• Like 1

On my cruise back in January on the cruise personaliser (My P&O, as they call it now) I could see the ports of call for each day and the relevant dress code for each evening. My upcoming cruise in April only shows my flight times and transfer. No ports of call or anything else.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, purplesea said:

On my cruise back in January on the cruise personaliser (My P&O, as they call it now) I could see the ports of call for each day and the relevant dress code for each evening. My upcoming cruise in April only shows my flight times and transfer. No ports of call or anything else.

Like you, I have no itinerary information for our upcoming April cruise, other than when at sea or docked.  Similarly for our June cruise which also doesn't show our booked excursions in the itinerary calendar!  Do you recall how long before your January cruise you could see ports of call and daily dress code?  The latter would be useful to know! 

2 hours ago, purplesea said:

We cruise this Saturday and cannot find anything out about dress code for each evening!. Will presume its first and 2nd from last sea day....

Chris

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Astrajet said:

Like you, I have no itinerary information for our upcoming April cruise, other than when at sea or docked.  Similarly for our June cruise which also doesn't show our booked excursions in the itinerary calendar!  Do you recall how long before your January cruise you could see ports of call and daily dress code?  The latter would be useful to know! 

I don't really remember but it was quite a way before our cruise, but it was a good few months, which is why I expected to see the information for this cruise in April as soon as I booked it as I only booked it just over a week ago.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, purplesea said:

I don't really remember but it was quite a way before our cruise, but it was a good few months, which is why I expected to see the information for this cruise in April as soon as I booked it as I only booked it just over a week ago.

The IT systems for Cunard and P&O systems are broken for all browsers when it comes to my calendar item. There is a pinned item on the Cunard board about it as people are trying to figure out theme nights etc.. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/28/2022 at 10:34 AM, SarahHben said:

On a 7 nights fjords cruise, 1sea day, 4 ports days followed by another sea day, would you expect the formal night to be on the first sea day? 

Yes - the end of the first full day at sea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LynnForestgate said:

always a lovely evening, getting dressed up, the food, the company, the dancing.

Its a pity some (oft those) don't make an effort.

Lynn

I am looking forward bringing formal wear for Gala nights but as there has been a complete lack of information forthcoming from P&O regarding any theme nights I will not be making any attempt to comply with those if they do take place. P&O advance information is a disgrace and worst in the industry.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BornLucky said:

I am looking forward bringing formal wear for Gala nights but as there has been a complete lack of information forthcoming from P&O regarding any theme nights I will not be making any attempt to comply with those if they do take place. P&O advance information is a disgrace and worst in the industry.

P&O fortunately (imho) do not have theme nights, so you have nothing to worry about.