Why do P&O keep everything a secret?

BornLucky

Just now, devonuk said:

Looking at the port days plus the first and last days narrows down the choice of formal nights to a few days. 

Unless your on a TA than your living on your nerves wandering if tonight is going to be formal or not.  ( I know it's in the horizon but why read that)

We're about to go on our first cruise (Ventura) this Easter and I was wondering why it was difficult to find out this information. I assumed I must be looking in the wrong place, but it appears it is just P&O!

Anyway, I have found some times on a travel agent website which are hopefully vaguely right.

The one thing I really don't understand and would expect to by now is what time should we arrive on the first day? The travel agent website states the ship leaves Southampton at 5pm. I'd like to book some trains and generally plan. Does anyone have any helpful advice on this?

Also, is it possible to check in large luggage bags and then go to a supermarket before boarding? I need to buy stuff like nappies and would prefer not to have to lug it all the way to Southampton.

Finally, on the subject of gala nights. I have booked "first sitting" does this mean that I will need black tie on gala nights? I'm perfectly happy to have a buffet, in fact we might even prefer it, but I'm a bit perplexed by the whole dining arrangement and can't really work out what's needed and where.

If anyone could help with any of this it would be appreciated.

Edited by TheBigBean

43 minutes ago, TheBigBean said:

We're about to go on our first cruise (Ventura) this Easter and I was wondering why it was difficult to find out this information. I assumed I must be looking in the wrong place, but it appears it is just P&O!

Anyway, I have found some times on a travel agent website which are hopefully vaguely right.

The one thing I really don't understand and would expect to by now is what time should we arrive on the first day? The travel agent website states the ship leaves Southampton at 5pm. I'd like to book some trains and generally plan. Does anyone have any helpful advice on this?

Also, is it possible to check in large luggage bags and then go to a supermarket before boarding? I need to buy stuff like nappies and would prefer not to have to lug it all the way to Southampton.

Finally, on the subject of gala nights. I have booked "first sitting" does this mean that I will need black tie on gala nights? I'm perfectly happy to have a buffet, in fact we might even prefer it, but I'm a bit perplexed by the whole dining arrangement and can't really work out what's needed and where.

If anyone could help with any of this it would be appreciated.

You will be given a time on your boarding pass which will be made available closer to the date for you to print off and if LFTs are still required they will be done at the terminal free of charge. This time should be adhered to as close as possible if you board but if you want to drop your suitcases off and then go back into Southampton to do last minute shopping I cannot see there being a problem. With reference to dress code on gala nights P&O state on their website the following - "Our Gala Evenings, or Black Tie nights, offer a chance to get dressed to the nines in glamorous evening wear. Don your favourite cocktail dress, tuxedo, ball gown or dinner jacket, or alternatively a dark business suit and tie. You may also wear formal national dress or military uniform". Of course if you do not want to dress and not dine in the MDR on Gala Nights you will be able to dine in the buffet and dress more casually but there might be the odd bar or lounge where you might not be able to go into unless formally dressed

2 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

You will be given a time on your boarding pass which will be made available closer to the date for you to print off and if LFTs are still required they will be done at the terminal free of charge. This time should be adhered to as close as possible if you board but if you want to drop your suitcases off and then go back into Southampton to do last minute shopping I cannot see there being a problem. With reference to dress code on gala nights P&O state on their website the following - "Our Gala Evenings, or Black Tie nights, offer a chance to get dressed to the nines in glamorous evening wear. Don your favourite cocktail dress, tuxedo, ball gown or dinner jacket, or alternatively a dark business suit and tie. You may also wear formal national dress or military uniform". Of course if you do not want to dress and not dine in the MDR on Gala Nights you will be able to dine in the buffet and dress more casually but there might be the odd bar or lounge where you might not be able to go into unless formally dressed

Thanks. The arrival stuff makes sense.

On the subject of the gala nights, I read the dress code on the website. What is not clear to me is the eating arrangements. Where is the buffet if it is not in the main dining room? If we have first sitting is this in the main dining room and therefore not a buffet? I have two small children, so a buffet would be quicker and easier in general. I know formal dress is a big thing on cruises, but the idea of lugging black tie to wear at 6PM for one hour whilst trying feed some kids doesn't sound like fun!

14 minutes ago, TheBigBean said:

On the subject of the gala nights, I read the dress code on the website. What is not clear to me is the eating arrangements. Where is the buffet if it is not in the main dining room? If we have first sitting is this in the main dining room and therefore not a buffet? I have two small children, so a buffet would be quicker and easier in general. I know formal dress is a big thing on cruises, but the idea of lugging black tie to wear at 6PM for one hour whilst trying feed some kids doesn't sound like fun!

MDR are on deck 5 and 6 there are 3 of them and the buffet is in Waterside deck 15. The MDR are all waiter served meals at your table irrespective of whether first or second sitting

https://www.pocruises.com/content/dam/po/pdfs/ships/2020-Ventura-deck-plans.pdf

Edited by majortom10

18 minutes ago, TheBigBean said:

There is a childrens tea in the buffet around 5pm.

The childrens club is open in the evening including a night nursery.

https://ask.completecruisesolution.com/help/ext/PO/life-on-board/childrens_club

I am not sure that all facilities will be open in these times with the virus. 
Brian

7 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

MDR are on deck 5 and 6 there are 3 of them and the buffet is in Waterside deck 15. The MDR are all waiter served meals at your table irrespective of whether first or second sitting

https://www.pocruises.com/content/dam/po/pdfs/ships/2020-Ventura-deck-plans.pdf

Many thanks. It is all becoming clearer now.  One last question if you would be so kind - would we be better to select freedom dining if we plan to eat in the buffet on a number of nights? i.e. by choosing a sitting are we committing to eat in the same place at the same time or is it just that if we want to eat in the MDR that is the only time we can do it, but we are free to go elsewhere if we like.

5 minutes ago, BrianI said:

There is a childrens tea in the buffet around 5pm.

The childrens club is open in the evening including a night nursery.

https://ask.completecruisesolution.com/help/ext/PO/life-on-board/childrens_club

I am not sure that all facilities will be open in these times with the virus. 
Brian

Thanks I need to read more about that, but at first glance some of it is not operating and 2 year olds may need adults to be present, so I think it is to safer to plan a family meal time which is fine for us anyway.

It is a school holiday time cruise though, so I sort of assumed that there will be quite a few children.

1 hour ago, TheBigBean said:

Thanks I need to read more about that, but at first glance some of it is not operating and 2 year olds may need adults to be present, so I think it is to safer to plan a family meal time which is fine for us anyway.

It is a school holiday time cruise though, so I sort of assumed that there will be quite a few children.

Parents normally go with their children to the children's tea, but you can always get similar children's meals in the general buffet, and yes freedom dining would be far better for you if you might want to vary the times you eat.

If you prefer not to take formal clothes, then you can dine in the buffet on those nights, you would just need to avoid the bars that require formal dress.

Edited by terrierjohn

12 hours ago, TheBigBean said:

Parents present for 2 year olds is both a ratios issue (with potentially less staff available) and the risk of crew coming into close contact with too many kids.

13 hours ago, TheBigBean said:

If you decide now that on gala nights you will eat in the buffet rather than the main dining room you can eliminate the need for taking formal wear with you. Smart casusal is good enough for bars and lounges even on those evenings. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Check in is normally between 12 noon and 3 pm if that's any help.

Base upon recent experience, if you have only booked a guraantee cabin (ie number chosen by P&O near sailing date) the allocated time will show a very late time (between 3 and 4). Once the cabin has been allocated you get a revised time within the mentioned 12-3 range.

1 hour ago, BornLucky said:

If you decide now that on gala nights you will eat in the buffet rather than the main dining room you can eliminate the need for taking formal wear with you. Smart casusal is good enough for bars and lounges even on those evenings. 

IIRC from my Ventura cruises the only bars which required formal dress were The Red Bar on deck 7, promenade deck and Metropolis on deck 18. The Glass House is listed as formal on the P&O site but on both Ventura and Azura it was not, as confirmed by the bar manager. "how can a relaxed informal bar selling food be formal? especially as it is a transit area for passengers moving to/from the theatre"

edit. I have worn formal wear in the past but no longer do so on cruises. I do wear smart clothes on those evenings, nothing tatty.

Edited by davecttr

16 hours ago, TheBigBean said:

Many thanks. It is all becoming clearer now.  One last question if you would be so kind - would we be better to select freedom dining if we plan to eat in the buffet on a number of nights? i.e. by choosing a sitting are we committing to eat in the same place at the same time or is it just that if we want to eat in the MDR that is the only time we can do it, but we are free to go elsewhere if we like.

It doesnt make any difference whether you book Select dining either first or second except you will be designated the same table every night in a specified dining room. If sharing a table with others would be manners to tell them when you would be visiting the buffet. With regards to Freedom dining it doesnt really matter because you turn up at MDR anytime you want between opening hours and ask for size of table, which will be different every time with different waiters, so you could do Freedom one night and then buffet the next with no problems.

3 hours ago, BornLucky said:

Unless recently changed there used to be the odd bar where you had to dress according to the dress code for the evening before being allowed in.

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Unless recently changed there used to be the odd bar where you had to dress according to the dress code for the evening before being allowed in.

Even in formal bars (metropolis and red bar) you will be allowed in as long as you are dressed smartly (as you would for a smart restaurant).  Once saw a man in swimming shorts and flip flops asked to leave!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the replies. They are all really useful. We will definitely be choosing the buffet for those nights and not bringing formal clothes. It sounds like it is entirely manageable to do that especially as we are unlikely to be going to any bars anyway.

For departure, I'm tempted to book two nights in a hotel in Southampton before the cruise and suffer Peppa Pig world again. At least that way we can easily stock up on things. False economy I know.