New category on Silhouette -Sunset Suite

carefree lady

We were booked for a Sunset Suite on the Eclipse for a fall 2020 TP.  The pandemic wiped out the revolutionizing of the Eclipse and stopped all cruising.

We were really looking forward to trying that new suite.

Please come back and share your experience.

12 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Just a name change to get a few more $$.

Exactly.  I remember waaay back when we used to snag what are now FV cabins on M class ships when they were just classified as balcony like any other.  There were very few categories back then - no CC, no AQ, no FV.  Then Celebrity wised up and started reclassifying.  I guess there is some fairness logic in that, but it was good while it lasted.

14 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Just a name change to get a few more $$.

Yes, I know that. I was commenting on when they came into effect under that new name as another poster above said they didn’t think it had happened yet. I may be misremembering but I thought this new category started to appear to be able to be booked coinciding with sailings after Revolution updates. Silhouette had its update at the start of 2020 right before Covid so I thought this category was in effect on that ship from that point onward.

2 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

Yes, I know that. I was commenting on when they came into effect under that new name as another poster above said they didn’t think it had happened yet. I may be misremembering but I thought this new category started to appear to be able to be booked coinciding with sailings after Revolution updates. Silhouette had its update at the start of 2020 right before Covid so I thought this category was in effect on that ship from that point onward.

We are booked for this March.

These are the 4 or 6 cabins at the front of the ship. Not quite sure why they are named Sunset suites 🤷‍♀️. We sailed in one pre Revolutionization. Lovely spacious suite and probably even nicer now. 
The only thing I would say is that whenever we docked the noise from the ropes being sent out to tie up, or the anchor dropping would wake us up as generally arrivals was early on our particular cruise.

11 minutes ago, downsmead said:

These are the 4 or 6 cabins at the front of the ship. Not quite sure why they are named Sunset suites 🤷‍♀️. We sailed in one pre Revolutionization. Lovely spacious suite and probably even nicer now. 
The only thing I would say is that whenever we docked the noise from the ropes being sent out to tie up, or the anchor dropping would wake us up as generally arrivals was early on our particular cruise.

4 cabins: two on Deck 7 and two on Deck 8.  

We have sailed in them several times as FVs.  With the conversion to suites, the cabin has been re-furnished.  The second bedroom has been converted into a large walk in closet for the master bedroom.  However I don't believe that the bathroom has been materially changed and I would guess that it still features a shower only as there is no practical way to make the bathroom bigger.

Reflection FV 8107.jpg

We were in 7108 on the Silhouette this past November. Overall, I was not terribly happy with this stateroom.

Negatives:

1) The rooms on deck 7 have a very small balcony. We couldn't even fit three of us at the railing to look out as the angle of the ship frame cut off a large portion of it. 

2) The noise for docking began 1 hour before our arrival at every port. While sometimes this was ok with later arrivals, the earlier ports were terrible. The noise was very loud. Not the low rumbling of the thrusters, but clanking and other mechanical noises associated with the lines. Conversely, the noise continued for about an hour after leaving a port. So our one late night was pretty bad.

3) The couple of times we spent time in the room during the day we continued to hear a lot of noise. It sounded like someone banging on the hull. Probably just doing work, but the way the room is situated the noise travelled right up and in. 

4) The angle of the front of the room could be a problem for some. We are all fairly short so I only hit my head a couple of times walking around the bed. I imagine for taller people this could be an issue.

5) The bathroom felt like a standard bathroom. I was surprised that the suite didn't have a nicer bathroom. 

Positives:

1) The size of the room is very nice.

2) The pullout in the living room is a queen and my daughter loved the space. You could also easily walk around in the room even with the pullout in "bed" mode. 

3) Loved having the dining room table

4) The windows at the front were nice to look out. Really enjoyed being able to see where we were going along with the balcony on the side.

Overall we would not book this room again. Maybe on deck 8, but definitely not 7.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, owensjro said:

We were in 7108 on the Silhouette this past November. Overall, I was not terribly happy with this stateroom.

Negatives:

1) The rooms on deck 7 have a very small balcony. We couldn't even fit three of us at the railing to look out as the angle of the ship frame cut off a large portion of it. 

2) The noise for docking began 1 hour before our arrival at every port. While sometimes this was ok with later arrivals, the earlier ports were terrible. The noise was very loud. Not the low rumbling of the thrusters, but clanking and other mechanical noises associated with the lines. Conversely, the noise continued for about an hour after leaving a port. So our one late night was pretty bad.

3) The couple of times we spent time in the room during the day we continued to hear a lot of noise. It sounded like someone banging on the hull. Probably just doing work, but the way the room is situated the noise travelled right up and in. 

4) The angle of the front of the room could be a problem for some. We are all fairly short so I only hit my head a couple of times walking around the bed. I imagine for taller people this could be an issue.

5) The bathroom felt like a standard bathroom. I was surprised that the suite didn't have a nicer bathroom. 

Positives:

2) The pullout in the living room is a queen and my daughter loved the space. You could also easily walk around in the room even with the pullout in "bed" mode. 

4) The windows at the front were nice to look out. Really enjoyed being able to see where we were going along with the balcony on the side.

Overall we would not book this room again. Maybe on deck 8, but definitely not 7.

Yes, a Deck 8 Sunset Suite would have taken care of two of the observed problems:

1) Deck 8 balcony is very large--larger than a standard balcony (see photo of FV8107 balcony).

4) The Deck 8 bedroom is larger and there should be more distance between the bed and the angled window.

The small bathroom is a big drawback.  It is a standard bathroom for a non-suite cabin and there is no practical way to make it bigger.  And ideally (for a suite) the bathroom should be directly accessible from the bedroom.

CFAH5367.thumb.JPG.49b70de2b3eb8e6fe44dd0f3c1460cea.JPG

DSC_0065.thumb.jpg.9dc5448023b00adb674176acf078ef81.jpg

Cabin 8107, Reflection

Edited by mahdnc

On 2/24/2022 at 2:42 PM, owensjro said:

Negatives:

Positives:

Thanks for the review.    We are in a CS on Silhouette in April for the TA Crossing and the next two cruises.    On the TA they had one available for Upgrade Move-Up for $200-700 pp.    I passed on bidding on it and bid on the RS and PS.     

Would you consider it an upgrade from a CS?    To me it looks like a lateral.    The room looks larger but because of the slant not sure how much more usable space.   I liked your pros and cons which for me would probably be a deal killer.

We're sailing on Silhouette in a RS for the TA crossing too!  Can't wait.  Hope you win your bid

On 2/26/2022 at 12:40 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks for the review.    We are in a CS on Silhouette in April for the TA Crossing and the next two cruises.    On the TA they had one available for Upgrade Move-Up for $200-700 pp.    I passed on bidding on it and bid on the RS and PS.     

Would you consider it an upgrade from a CS?    To me it looks like a lateral.    The room looks larger but because of the slant not sure how much more usable space.   I liked your pros and cons which for me would probably be a deal killer.

We are sailing in a RS  deck 10 on Silhouette for the TA crossing in April too 🙂 Hope you win your bid!  

On 2/26/2022 at 12:40 PM, Jim_Iain said:

We are sailing in a RS  deck 10 on Silhouette for the TA crossing in April too 🙂 We first bid on RS from a CS as well, but I was afraid to end up on Deck 11 so just bit the bullet when the price was reduced 25% on the RS.  Hope you win your bid!