The Daily for Wednesday 02/23/2022

richwmn

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I'm doing okay now pain-wise, Graham.  I read up on numbness continuing on my scalp all the way back to the crown, and apparently it could take a month or even longer to end.  They said some people take a year to return to normal.  There are nerves that have to regrow and they regrow slowly.  😨

That was the same for my knee replacement.  The left one was done in 2018 and occasionally I get some strange sensations.  It isn't totally numb, but if I touch it the right way it acts like it is.  Weird.  Well, so am I.

@grapau27I am so glad you got that scan and that it was negative.   We almost lost my dad to an AAA.  His was 10 cm and leaking.   They really didn't expect him to survive the surgery, but he did.  And, we were elated.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Thank you for climbing to the top of Vesuvius for us and sharing your pictures.  Now, DH and I don't have to make that climb.  😁  Congratulations to your DS and DDIL on the closing.  It sounds like they have a big job ahead of them.

LOL we were a few years younger then...but seriously it was amazing to look down into that steaming crater so very much worth it.  

Thank you, we're very excited for them!  I'm looking forward to the changes they have planned!

• Like 17

7 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  It's raining in Stone Mountain, Ann?  I just checked the radar and see a line of storms in Atlanta but not here further south yet.  Actually the sun is out.  Hope the rain doesn't last too long.  We've had enough of that lately (sorry we can't send you some Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser).  Well, we got up this morning and walked through the neighborhood.  Went 3 miles, and each time we walk outside we have a choice of which "pod" or group of homes we want to see.  Went a way today we hadn't in a while, and it was enjoyable.  

Next thing I did was remove the bandage from my forehead and it was rather a shock.  A bigger cut than I thought it would be.  I just hope it heals well and doesn't leave a big scar.  I'll be getting out the Mederma to help it fade.  No photos will be posted here, never fear!😲

Thanks to Rich for the Daily, and to Roy for the Care and Celebration lists.  Prayers are offered for everyone in need.  No news on Jen since yesterday.  I hope she is resting comfortably and able to eat something by now.  Good wishes to my friend Joy @Seasick Sailorand Allen!  Cheers to all celebrating great news and cruises.  @Mr. Bostonhappy birthday to DH today and have a wonderful cruise.  Will you be waving at the webcam?  What ship?  The menu suggestion, recipes, and photos look very good.  My meatloaf is all beef and resembles photo 3.  We always enjoy the leftovers in sandwiches, too.  But Gerry @ger_77if you don't mind, I'd like to come for dinner tonight!  I'll wear my parka from Antarctica.  

A salute to dog biscuits, tennis and the cool sport of curling.  Naples is a new port for the Daily, but I know it's a popular one.  We've been there 7 times according to my records and we've tried to take advantage of the many things to do there.  We've done Amalfi coast a couple of times, including Sorrento and Positano, Capri, Pompeii and Herculaneum.  We've also spent time in Naples itself. One photo of DH and myself taken along the Amalfi coast is framed in my family room but I don't know which cruise it was taken on.  I'd post it here if I could find it.  Thanks for photos already posted and for those that will come.  I will wait and let others post their favorite photos from Naples.  

7 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  It's raining in Stone Mountain, Ann?  I just checked the radar and see a line of storms in Atlanta but not here further south yet.  Actually the sun is out.  Hope the rain doesn't last too long.  We've had enough of that lately (sorry we can't send you some Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser).  Well, we got up this morning and walked through the neighborhood.  Went 3 miles, and each time we walk outside we have a choice of which "pod" or group of homes we want to see.  Went a way today we hadn't in a while, and it was enjoyable.  

Next thing I did was remove the bandage from my forehead and it was rather a shock.  A bigger cut than I thought it would be.  I just hope it heals well and doesn't leave a big scar.  I'll be getting out the Mederma to help it fade.  No photos will be posted here, never fear!😲

Thanks to Rich for the Daily, and to Roy for the Care and Celebration lists.  Prayers are offered for everyone in need.  No news on Jen since yesterday.  I hope she is resting comfortably and able to eat something by now.  Good wishes to my friend Joy @Seasick Sailorand Allen!  Cheers to all celebrating great news and cruises.  @Mr. Bostonhappy birthday to DH today and have a wonderful cruise.  Will you be waving at the webcam?  What ship?  The menu suggestion, recipes, and photos look very good.  My meatloaf is all beef and resembles photo 3.  We always enjoy the leftovers in sandwiches, too.  But Gerry @ger_77if you don't mind, I'd like to come for dinner tonight!  I'll wear my parka from Antarctica.  

A salute to dog biscuits, tennis and the cool sport of curling.  Naples is a new port for the Daily, but I know it's a popular one.  We've been there 7 times according to my records and we've tried to take advantage of the many things to do there.  We've done Amalfi coast a couple of times, including Sorrento and Positano, Capri, Pompeii and Herculaneum.  We've also spent time in Naples itself. One photo of DH and myself taken along the Amalfi coast is framed in my family room but I don't know which cruise it was taken on.  I'd post it here if I could find it.  Thanks for photos already posted and for those that will come.  I will wait and let others post their favorite photos from Naples.  

Thanks, we’ll be on Nieuw Amsterdam.  Our cabin will be on the starboard side so if we do wave it will be on the upper deck. I’ll try to remember to wear red shorts.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Live4cruises said:

@StLouisCruisers, Sandi, Perfect!  Rich has slightly tweaked his naming convention, so it took me a few minutes, but that is exactly what I was looking for.  Thank you for keeping such great records of your travels AND your postings!  🎉🙏

Did you find them?  I was just going to go back and copy and paste those two days for you.  I actually enjoyed reading them again myself!  Thanks for letting me know you got what you needed.

Oh, and imagine my surprise to see I had identified the Shackleton voyage as being in 2015 and 2016 instead of 1915 and 1916.  No one said a thing about it as far as I know.  I could never be an editor if I missed that glaring error the first time.🤪

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 13
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, dfish said:

That was the same for my knee replacement.  The left one was done in 2018 and occasionally I get some strange sensations.  It isn't totally numb, but if I touch it the right way it acts like it is.  Weird.  Well, so am I.

@grapau27I am so glad you got that scan and that it was negative.   We almost lost my dad to an AAA.  His was 10 cm and leaking.   They really didn't expect him to survive the surgery, but he did.  And, we were elated.

Thank you Debbie.

I'm so pleased your dad is okay as that was a big Aneurism he had.

Graham.

• Like 10

52 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

They sure do!  It's so weird!  Like when you have your mouth numbed for fillings, and your face is numb half the day.  I don't like that feeling.🥴

Sandi - I had MOHS 5 or 6 years ago between my ear and sideburn and it’s still pretty numb (was probably deeper than yours though).  Definitely took a while to get used to the odd feeling, but don’t even notice it now.  Much better than the alternative and more invasive treatment! 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, lindaler said:

My birthday has started cold. It got down to three degrees from about one am and is now up to 5 degrees F. There was ice on the inside of the windows. Hopefully this is the coldest day and temperatures will continue to spiral into spring.  Prayers for those who need them and cheers for all my wonderful Dailyite family. I do appreciate all the time each of you put in daily to tell us where the ships are, what to eat and drink and who is in need of prayer. 

Happy Birthday!

• Like 12

Dh just reminded me that he took some better photos of Elephant Island on our second trip to Antarctica on Coral Princess - Jan. 15, 2020 (our last cruise as of this date).  It was during the evening hours at our dinner time but he still went outside periodically to take photos.  The weather was really winding up!  Eventually the winds were 60 to 70 mph that night.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKFYjK8mMij17uGazhud0FY?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1579816681

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKXMlyUM94oGJBt7p8_EGSJ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1579816684

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLA3POWGAkwRJH8qOmVVtHP?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1579816751

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I decided to just start looking for that favorite photo by looking at all the photo books from the 7 cruises that took us to Naples.  It was the third time we'd stopped in Naples in November 2014., and our first Prinsendam cruise.  Actually it was a B2B, the first cruise being the Black Sea and the second the Holy Land.  We had switched to Holland America after our previously booked Ocean Princess cruise was cancelled by us.  We and our friends wanted to see Yalta and Sevastapol, Ukraine but Princess cancelled those ports in early 2014 and replaced them with Greek ports.  Holland America cancelled Ukraine too but they added ports in the Black Sea.  So we switched to a new to us cruise line and are glad we did.  Holland America always has more varied ports than Princess.  

When the Prinsendam arrived in Naples, there was the Ocean Princess already docked there.  We would have been on that ship if we hadn't all jumped ship!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK0Ik0G-mfNidaseDsBYoLU?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416775274

I had set up a private tour of the Amalfi coast so we set out with our driver and had a wonderful day there.  Our driver actually took our picture for us and did a fine job.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJyxf_HP2e1MllDzIadvTUW?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416775397

I'm either standing in a hole or DH is standing on a rock - he is only 1 inch taller than me!😄

The Ocean Princess was originally one of 8 identical ships built for Renaissance Cruises named and numbered R1 through R8, we sailed on her in 1999 when she was the R4 from Istanbul to Athens stopping at Ephesus and some of the Greek Islands.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, MISTER 67 said:

The Ocean Princess was originally one of 8 identical ships built for Renaissance Cruises named and numbered R1 through R8, we sailed on her when she was the R4 from Istanbul to Athens stopping at Ephesus and some of the Greek Islands.

We never did get onboard the Ocean Princess on a cruise.  She was sold to Oceania and was given a complete makeover, and is currently named Sirena.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We never did get onboard the Ocean Princess on a cruise.  She was sold to Oceania and was given a complete makeover, and is currently named Sirena.

It was a very nice small ship, IIRC around 30,000 tons, 700 passengers.

22 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

The Ocean Princess was originally one of 8 identical ships built for Renaissance Cruises named and numbered R1 through R8, we sailed on her in 1999 when she was the R4 from Istanbul to Athens stopping at Ephesus and some of the Greek Islands.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 8

I'm sorry to be such a downer but my DB found out this afternoon that Jen's doctor confirmed she had a hemorrhagic stroke as a result of the head injury.  That would have happened immediately after the fall, much like the stroke she had right after her skydiving accident in 2010.  No further news since then.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 17

11 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We really enjoyed the Ocean Princess as she was similar in size to the Prinsendam.  We were on for 27 days in 2012 from Rome to Singapore.  Then for 89 days in 2015 from Dover to Rome while going around Africa.  That was her last major cruise for Princess before being sold to Oceana.  We looked at some cruises as the Sirena, but they were more than twice as expensive as similar cruises for Princess.

• Like 12

23 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I'm sorry to be such a downer but my DB found out this afternoon that Jen's doctor confirmed she had a hemorrhagic stroke as a result of the head injury.  That would have happened immediately after the fall, much like the stroke she had right after her skydiving accident in 2010.  No further news since then.  

Sandi, I'm so sorry to hear this news. Jen has had such hardship already. Continued prayers for her to regain as much function as she can.

• Like 13

26 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Sandi, I am so sorry to hear this.   Prayers for her and all of your family.

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Debbie.

I'm so pleased your dad is okay as that was a big Aneurism he had.

Graham.

Thanks, Graham.  Actually, he has since passed away, but not from that Aneurism.   He had many excellent years of life after that episode when he was 82.  He was a bit of a celebrity in the hospital and all the administrators and big wigs came to see him because he was the oldest patient they had that had survived that surgery.  

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Oh Sandi, I am so very sorry to hear this 💔 

She had enough challenges already and now had a more difficult one awaiting her 😢. Praying for her and you 🙏🏻 

• Like 13

32 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I am very sorry to hear this.  It is a tough slog, my cousin had this and spent many months in hospital and had several surgeries but I am happy to say she has recovered with little permanent damage.  I hope the same is true for Jen. 

• Like 14

We visited Naples in 2012, onboard the Nieuw Amsterdam. Unfortunately, it was a very rainy day and we didn't get to see all that much. Along with some others onboard, we had arranged a basic small bus tour of the Amalfi Coast and a visit to the Pompeii ruins.

R.jpg.cf8deb8d9c7bfd5f062ffa03cc6be014.jpg

Due to the weather, we do not have much for pictures regarding the bus tour of the coast. But, have some pictures from Pompeii, which will give you some idea of what the weather was like!!

water2.jpg.0b4c15984280d2e8fe22053a4a05b806.jpg

Water4.jpg.892f859e8735dcf70edb145354ec98e4.jpg

water6.jpg.12b7085c46979ce4268489f81c15e3d9.jpg

Needless to say - we had the place to ourselves.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

41 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Oh Sandi, I'm so sorry.  Just so much for one person.  Prayers for her and all your family.

• Like 13

Here is a screen shot of @rafinmd's ship in the Charleston Harbor this evening as the sun set behind the clouds.  I think they are getting ready for the sailaway.  When we visit Charleston, we stay in a hotel near the webcam that has this view, and we watch ships come and go into the harbor with the Charleston city as the backdrop with the setting sun.  I hope you all had a great day today.

SnapShot-20220223_183508.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 6

56 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I am so sorry to hear this Sandi.Prayers continue  for all.

• Like 11

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

A couple of photos I forgot to post from our amazing Spanish holiday last week.

Graham.

IMG_20220217_190035.jpg

IMG_20220217_185842.jpg

IMG_20220218_094334.jpg

I love  the photos of  you  both you are  so  photogenic. Thank  you Graham.

Jim.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MISTER 67 said:

We sailed on her when she was still Tahitan Princess, including the next to last two cruises on her way to Singapore dry dock where her name was changed.  That was in 2009, NYC to Capetown.

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Sandi, sorry to see this news.  It was not what anyone wanted to hear.

Lenda

• Like 12