"LIVE" Emerald Princess, Feb 27th to March 13th, 14 Day Caribbean

LACruiser88

6 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

We have bad news.  We had our covid test this afternoon for our back-to-back cruise.  I tested positive, rapid and PCR tests.  The wife was negative.  Neither of us have any symptoms.

We are being taken off the ship tomorrow morning in Ft Lauderdale and will isolate for 5 days at a hotel.

So sorry that this happened. I hope it stays a mild case for you.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

We have bad news.  We had our covid test this afternoon for our back-to-back cruise.  I tested positive, rapid and PCR tests.  The wife was negative.  Neither of us have any symptoms.

We are being taken off the ship tomorrow morning in Ft Lauderdale and will isolate for 5 days at a hotel.

Princess will provide the transportation and they have made the hotel reservations.

Have a great cruise!   ☹️

So sorry to hear this sad news, but glad you are  not feeling unwell.

Would be very interested to hear how your hotel quarantine goes, how Princess looks after you and financial implications. (Princess footing the bill/ insurance claim?)

Look after yourselves.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

So sorry to hear this. You have a great attitude though! I Princess also taking care of transportation back to your home earlier than you had planned? Or, are you going to hang out in Florida until you can use your previously arranged travel?

We had made our own flight arrangements.  We will try to reschedule and fly home as soon as our 5 day isolation is over.

20220227_055150.jpg

• Thanks 5

LACuiser, thank you for posting the letter from Princess regarding protocol for testing positive. I’m very sorry for the unfortunate circumstance that interrupted your vacation. Have you any idea where or how you might have contacted the virus? Did ship officers discuss this with you? 
Just curious as we board this ship April 2 for B2B and disembark on May 1 and would like to take all precautions.

Take care of yourself. Hope wife remains negative.

• Like 1

LACuiser --

I know you took every precaution possible to avoid contracting the virus but somehow did anyway.

But your experience shows why Princess is making a mistake by relaxing mask requirements on cruises starting March 1. This can only lead to more infections from people who become infectious during a cruise and are unaware of it.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

We had made our own flight arrangements.  We will try to reschedule and fly home as soon as our 5 day isolation is over.

20220227_055150.jpg

what happens if you just say ... it - I'm going home

besides never cruising again ...

• Haha 1

We have no idea where we caught the virus???  We are very good about wearing our masks and we are both boostered.

While checking in at the hotel, there were two other couples from the ship checking in with us.  They were not back-to-back passengers.  They had come down with symptoms earlier in the week and had tested positive.

So, there was definitely covid floating around the ship.  We continue to be asymptomatic and cannot go home until Friday.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

Princess will provide the transportation and they have made the hotel reservations.

Have a great cruise!   ☹️

Safe travels. Hope your room service comes close to the ship. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Reina del Mar said:

Please share the name/location  of the hotel you were sent to.

We were told the hotel they usually use is the Fairfield by Marriott. 

However, they were booked.  So, we were sent to the Marriott Coral Springs.  It's about 30 miles N/W of the Ft Lauderdale airport.  It's in the boonies!

Sorry to hear that LACruiser has tested positive and cannot continue on with their B2B. It seems as though Princess is taking good care of them. 

We are sailing on the April 2 cruise and was hoping that someone onboard will continue with the “live” feed to keep us future cruisers updated with what’s happening on the ship. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, choochella said:

Sorry to hear that LACruiser has tested positive and cannot continue on with their B2B. It seems as though Princess is taking good care of them. 

We are sailing on the April 2 cruise and was hoping that someone onboard will continue with the “live” feed to keep us future cruisers updated with what’s happening on the ship. 

We also hope someone will continue posting for this cruise.  We could pretend we are still there, instead of our hotel room isolation!  😄

• Like 1

@LACruiser88A friend of ours was on the earlier cruise and is currently on the this one as well. He tested positive using the rapid test and was retested with the PCR test where he tested negative. So, he was allowed to stay on board and cruise. Whew!

Before the second test came back negative he was given the option of disembarking or, staying on board for the next cruise in a quarantine cabin until he tested negative.

Were you tested twice?

Were you given the option of staying on in quarantine?

Edited by beg3yrs

1 minute ago, beg3yrs said:

@LACruiser88A friend of ours was on this cruise and is currently on the subsequent one as well. He tested positive using the rapid test and was retested with the PCR test where he tested negative. So, he was allowed to stay on board and cruise. Whew!

Before the second test came back negative he was given the option of disembarking or, staying on board for the next cruise in a quarantine cabin until he tested negative.

Were you tested twice?

Were you given the option of staying on in quarantine?

Yes, I was tested twice.  The second test was a PCR test.  They did PCR test in our cabin and we had results in about 45 mins.  Both were positive.

Our options were:

OPTION #1: I could go to isolation for 5 days and be retested after 5 days.  If this second test was positive, 5 more days of isolation.

In option #1 DW, who tested negative, could stay in our original cabin and was free to do whatever she wished as long as she wore a mask.

Option #2:  We both go to isolation for 5 days and hope for a negative test after the 5 days.  If still positive, 5 more days of isolation.

Option #3: Disembark in Ft Lauderdale and isolate for 5 days in a hotel (pre-arranged by Princess). After 5 days, we are free to go home.

We discussed options with our physician daughter-in-law, who advised that there was a very high probability that my test after 5 days would still be positive (and would not be contagious at this point).  She advised that I could test positive for awhile.

We opted to disembark.  And here we are!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I must also add that the 15 hrs in the isolation cabin were horrible.  The AC fan was reduced, maybe to minimize the air exchange amongst isolation cabins?  So, our cabin was very warm.  We slept with the balcony door wide open.

Dinner was delivered in all disposable containers and utensils.  The dinner selections were very minimal.  

We could not imagine spending 5 days, less 10 days, in isolation.  I would not recommend it to anyone!

18 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

We were told the hotel they usually use is the Fairfield by Marriott. 

However, they were booked.  So, we were sent to the Marriott Coral Springs.  It's about 30 miles N/W of the Ft Lauderdale airport.  It's in the boonies!

I spend too much time on the boards, and have read other postings from various cruise lines being put in this hotel.  Aside from being way out,  they have been happy with it.  KEEP EVERY PIECE of PAPERWORK Princess gives you.  Some others experiencing problems with reimbursement.  Best wishes to you!

Edited by FlorenceItaly
  • Thanks 1

Just now, FlorenceItaly said:

I spend too much time on the boards, and have read other postings from various cruise lines being put in this hotel.  Aside from being wait out, have been happy with it.  KEEP EVERY PIECE of PAPERWORK Princess gives you.  Some others experiencing problems with reimbursement.  Best wishes to you!

We are allowed to walk the grounds of the hotel for exercise.  Last night, we met two couples from a Holland America ship

They also disembarked yesterday.  One couple had minor symptoms, the other were asymptomatic.  

We dubbed ourselves the "Covid Gang."  And, we all kept our distance while walking around the grounds with masks.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

@LACruiser88 - Also, keep an eye on food bill you order from room service.  Others have received wrong pricing that needed to be adjusted.

The room service menu at the hotel is not great.  They provided a list of local restaurants.  Last night we ordered from a Cuban restaurant via GrubHub.  It was great!  Including the Liter of Sangria!

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Level six said:

LAcruiser88, did I miss this....Did Princess reimburse all the funds for the next cruise you were unable to take?  If so, how.   FCC, refund, etc.  Thanks, I hope you remain well. 

Nothing has been reimbursed as of yet.  We were told it would be a FCC. 

This is fine with us, as we have several big cruises coming up where we still have to make final payment.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

The room service menu at the hotel is not great.  They provided a list of local restaurants.  Last night we ordered from a Cuban restaurant via GrubHub.  It was great!  Including the Liter of Sangria!

Awesome attitude! I hope the Covid gang all do well!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1