Cruising in a Hand Cast - any advice?

jrapps

We cruise in a few weeks, and my wife sadly broke her finger playing softball. She now has a splint but will likely be in a cast down to her wrist by the time we cruise. Has anyone cruised in a hand cast that can comment on any specifics this may impact that I may not be thinking of? (other than me cutting all her food for her in the dining room LOL 🙂 )

My guess is the biggest impact is water activities...Not sure if she will be allowed to go in the pool/hot tubs? We have tickets to the waterpark at Coco. Will they even let her go down waterslides? She seems to think she will be ok to go on smaller ones. 

Any advice is appreciated.

3 minutes ago, jrapps said:

We cruise in a few weeks, and my wife sadly broke her finger playing softball. She now has a splint but will likely be in a cast down to her wrist by the time we cruise. Has anyone cruised in a hand cast that can comment on any specifics this may impact that I may not be thinking of? (other than me cutting all her food for her in the dining room LOL 🙂 )

My guess is the biggest impact is water activities...Not sure if she will be allowed to go in the pool/hot tubs? We have tickets to the waterpark at Coco. Will they even let her go down waterslides? She seems to think she will be ok to go on smaller ones. 

The best advice is to speak to her orthopedist. I used to tell my ED patients that they weren't to do anything that could make them break the cast or break above or below the cast, so waterslides would be out. She also probably cannot get her cast wet, again, her orthopedist has the final say. 

• Like 3

Just now, MommaBear55 said:

The best advice is to speak to her orthopedist. I used to tell my ED patients that they weren't to do anything that could make them break the cast or break above or below the cast, so waterslides would be out. She also probably cannot get her cast wet, again, her orthopedist has the final say. 

Thanks. Yes I did ask her to get the ortho's opinion when she went in for the final cast, but I was also hoping if anyone here had 1st hand knowledge (no pun intended) with Royal's policies. I can see her Ortho saying, sure no problem, but then Royal stopping her due to liability.

In the end of the day, it is what it is, won't let it ruin our cruise in the least. Just want to be prepared is all.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jrapps said:

I broke my leg in hockey and used one of these for the shower. maybe the hand one will work for you.

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Protector-Reusable-Bandage-Dressing/dp/B07FN8LMG8/ref=sr_1_11?crid=2IDVAALE59ZW3&keywords=Wilsco+100%+Waterproof&qid=1645648951&s=hpc&sprefix=wilsco+100%+waterproof%2Chpc%2C103&sr=1-11

• Like 1

I had my wrist in a splint back in 2011, but it was my non-dominant arm. It didn't get in a way of everyday activities, but I could move my arm freely, so that probably doesn't help you much. Plus, I could remove it for shower and hot tub use.

However, I didn't realize it was going to be a problem for our ziplining in Jamaica, lol. They allowed me to keep it on, but I was unable to use my left hand as a stabilizer so I kept spinning around while zipping.

I would not do anything that could cause further injury (water slides, etc).  Medical treatment options would be minimal if something happened and she would probably be in extreme pain.  Not even close to worth it IMO.  

I severely sprained my ankle right before a cruise once, so I didn’t do the flowrider like I normally do all week.  It was tempting to get out there and tolerate the discomfort, but I knew I was begging for more damage if I did.  So I remained strong and fought the urge even at the end when I was moving around better.  That was a bummer, but I still had a blast on that cruise.  

Don’t let her do anything too crazy.    

• Like 3

I broke my wrist two weeks before my last cruise and had surgery (plate and 7 screws) 10 days before departure. My ortho’s biggest concern about hot tubs was the risk of infection so I avoided them. Of course I had to cancel my snorkeling excursion because I didn’t think I could haul myself out of the water and on to the boat with one hand. What surprised me the most was the amount of fatigue I felt. All I wanted to do was sit in a lounge chair and relax, which is not me at all. Be prepared to be flexible with your plans, and best of luck to your wife with her recovery. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PC Skier said:

They do have waterproof casts. If she doesn't get one there are also covers that go over the cast that you can use in pool, hot tub or shower.  Check on line. 

Defintely ask about a water proof cast.  2 out of 3 casts my kids had in the USA we were able to get waterproof...but ONLY after we asked.  It was never offered.  It cost a small amount extra that the insurance did not cover, but not much....and so worth it just to be able to bathe.  We were toled if swimming to rins the cast well with clear water (no chemicals) after and not to swim so much that the skin never got dry.

6 hours ago, jrapps said:

Clothes she can put on and take off by herself. There's nothing quite like asking random women in the restroom to please zip up and button your pants for you.  🙂   

Depending on where she is in the healing process, ask your room steward for extra pillows for elevation.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, jrapps said:

other than me cutting all her food for her in the dining room LOL 🙂 

Wife destroyed her elbow and had plate put in. Went on cruise before stitches healed.  The waiters volunteered to cut her steak for her.  Staff is great!

Pools are small anyway so she had no problem hanging the arm up on the side, although surgeon didn't have a problem getting arm wet.  But she had a moveable brace instead of a cast that we didn't want to get salt water on the padding.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jrapps said:

Cancel the water park.....and learn to drink with opposite hand

• Like 1

11 hours ago, flamingos said:

There's nothing quite like asking random women in the restroom to please zip up and button your pants for you. 

ETA: Pull-on pants would be best, but she does have another arm/hand, and it usually doesn't take 2 hands to pull up a zipper or button pants. Pulling them up and holding them together is  the problem, though.

I've recently seen a video of an armless guy doing a full face of makeup, including false lashes. That's a masterpiece.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

11 hours ago, D4 said:

You’ll probably need to help her wash her one hand before going in the Windjammer and rubbing hand sanitizer into her hand at the dining room.

Oooh! I forgot about that. BF and I quickly worked out a system where I’d get the sanitizer on my hand and he’d rub it in and use it for his hands. The crew were quite lenient at the buffet; they could tell I was making an effort to comply with the hand washing protocol. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, D4 said:

You’ll probably need to help her wash her one hand before going in the Windjammer and rubbing hand sanitizer into her hand at the dining room.

I got the hand sanitizer, and someone else in the group (I would have cancelled with the injury but it was a group trip) would then rub it in for me  - awesome hand massage - and then use the rest on themselves.  

• Like 1