St Petersburg

longton

We are hoping to do a Baltic cruise on Queen Victoria in June.

One of the scheduled ports of call was St Petersburg.

We received the following email from Cunard today:

We understand that the current evolving situation with Ukraine may raise some questons about your upcoming voyage. 

We are monitoring this very closely and please be assured we will amend itineraries as necessary, as the safety and welbeing of guests and crew is of the highest priority. 

Please do bear with us and visit our social media channels and website for the latest information, rather than contacting our Customer Contact Centre. 

For us, St Petersburg was the highlight but we'll still make the most of the other ports.

Cunard deserves credit for its speedy contact following the invasion of Ukraine.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, longton said:

We are hoping to do a Baltic cruise on Queen Victoria in June.

One of the scheduled ports of call was St Petersburg.

We received the following email from Cunard today:

We understand that the current evolving situation with Ukraine may raise some questons about your upcoming voyage. 

We are monitoring this very closely and please be assured we will amend itineraries as necessary, as the safety and welbeing of guests and crew is of the highest priority. 

Please do bear with us and visit our social media channels and website for the latest information, rather than contacting our Customer Contact Centre. 

For us, St Petersburg was the highlight but we'll still make the most of the other ports.

Cunard deserves credit for its speedy contact following the invasion of Ukraine.

Hi to you both,

We are booked on QE Barcelona-Sydney in October, but prior to that we are sailing on Oceania Sirena on a Baltic cruise in September, to use credits from a Covid-cancelled Oceania cruise in 2020.  We received an email from Oceania very early this morning to advise that the fleet has cancelled all ports in Russia and Ukraine, and management is currently re-organising itineraries for Baltic cruises.  We have previously visited St. Petersburg on a Seabourn cruise, so while I'm delighted Oceania has acted so swiftly and decisively, I'm disappointed for fellow passengers, because I know that for many on these cruises, St. Petersburg is an anticipated highlight.  Having said that, I'm so deeply saddened and appalled by the invasion, and my heart goes out to all those suffering loss and trauma in this truly terrible time.  Time will tell, I guess, whether cruises to all Baltic ports will be re-routed, but I imagine there would be one heck of a scramble at the moment.

Linda

• Like 2

While St Petersburg is the highlight of many that do Baltic cruises you are only shown the obscene amounts of money spent on palaces at the suffering of the people of Russia and you dont see the "real" Russia. We did a Baltic only a few years ago and on the coach on the way to Peterhof Palace the tour guide said we have a problem. There had been a road traffic accident on the way there and the guide told us tour companies are told where to take foreign visitors even down to the route they should take by the authorities . If they took a different route the guide and tour company risked losing their tour license. If they stuck to the official route we would be delayed and would miss part of the tour highlights. So to stay "on schedule" they were going to risk another route which we shouldnt be taking and it really opened your eyes seeing the real Russia which obviously foreign visitors should not see.

There is not much to see on Baltic cruises except for St. Petersburg. And there is much to see in St. Petersburg than the palaces. The guide in Helsinki admitted that there is really nothing to see in Helsinki after we visited St. Petersburg.

According to this logic, cruise lines must cancel all visits to Qatar, China, Saudi Arabia, and few dozens other countries.

Hypocrisy at its best.

10 hours ago, ak1004 said:

There is not much to see on Baltic cruises except for St. Petersburg. And there is much to see in St. Petersburg than the palaces. The guide in Helsinki admitted that there is really nothing to see in Helsinki after we visited St. Petersburg.

According to this logic, cruise lines must cancel all visits to Qatar, China, Saudi Arabia, and few dozens other countries.

Hypocrisy at its best.

Not much to see? Stockholm, Riga, Tallinn,  Copenhagen, Visby, Gdansk, Gothenburg, and lots of other places I haven't been to. I think the Baltic is full of delightful ports. And I think the Hermitage Museum in St. P. Is pretty good, if wearing.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Not much to see? Stockholm, Riga, Tallinn,  Copenhagen, Visby, Gdansk, Gothenburg, and lots of other places I haven't been to. I think the Baltic is full of delightful ports. And I think the Hermitage Museum in St. P. Is pretty good, if wearing.

I agree. In general, those transatlantics who say that there is not much to see judge their views based on the "tours" offered and how much they can brag about seeing when they get home.  Take yourself to the old parts of Tallin and Stockholm, the palaces and churches of Copenhagen, the beautiful islands round Visby.  I had a great time seeing the Olympic Stadium in Helsinki.

Edited by barriedavis
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, barriedavis said:

I agree. In general, those transatlantics who say that there is not much to see judge their views based on the "tours" offered and how much they can brag about seeing when they get home.  Take yourself to the old parts of Tallin and Stockholm, the palaces and churches of Copenhagen, the beautiful islands round Visby.  I had a great time seeing the Olympic Stadium in Helsinki.

I think the highlight of Helsinki is the main railway station. And if you have seen it, you'll know this isn't sarcasm. 

For us, the only reason we booked a Baltic cruise was St. Petersburg. Having been to Stockholm and Copenhagen many times (never on a cruise), they would not have enticed us on a cruise just to visit them. Helsinki and Tallinn are of interest, but it is fairly simple to visit them on a land-based trip, which we will plan to do now. The Polish cities will be included on a land-based trip once we work out a schedule around an invitation from a friend at the University of Warsaw. 

I have no interest in trying to secure the visa and authorizations (including obtaining approval from the US government due to a former security clearance) necessary to visit Russia on my own, but everything was covered by the cruise, including US government’s okay. So, we will be cancelling the cruise and booking a land trip. Maybe take the ferry from Stockholm to Tallinn to make up for not being on the water. Definitely take the ferry from Tallinn to Helsinki, since it is only a couple of hours in transit. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Are you really comparing Visby, Gdansk and Gothenburg to St. Petersburg? Stockholm and Copenhagen are nice, Tallin you can do in 4 hours, Helsinki is not really worth mentiong.

We did this tour, so I'm talking from experience. There is a good reason why cruise ship stop for 1 day in all ports but 2 or even 3 days in St. Petersburg. St. Petersburg is in the first league of Europe, along with Paris, London and Rome. Rest of the tour is the second or third league, something you go to see after you have seen everything else. 

5 hours ago, barriedavis said:

Not sure what it has to do with bragging..

9 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Are you really comparing Visby, Gdansk and Gothenburg to St. Petersburg? Stockholm and Copenhagen are nice, Tallin you can do in 4 hours, Helsinki is not really worth mentiong.

I'm not sure I did compare them, but they are certainly all places where I would enjoy a weekend break, if I liked flying, which I don't. Gdansk would be my favourite with so much historical interest and the nearby coastal resorts as well. But as European cities go, I think they are all worth a stay in the right weather, and I should find plenty to engross me on a cruise that missed St. P. In fact, now, having been on several Baltic cruises, I should prefer one that didn't go to St. P, though I appreciate it is the major attraction initially.

• Like 1

We first visited St Petersburg in '93, two years after the name change and the city was dire. No children on the streets, a diphtheria outbreak [we had to have a booster before being allowed on the ship] mainly due to the fear of used needles and HIV, hunched up and dreadfully sad looking people, rutted roads and 'traffic' [non serviced  trabbies because engine  parts weren't available] pollution which made your throat hurt...DIRE and yet it was a total education. Wonderful. I am SO glad we went to see exactly how the citizens of this magnificent city  lived.

We have made two subsequent visits and have seen how superficially, the city has changed. The people have colour,  some even vibrant; the main shopping drag is awash Chanel to Gucci and the Range Rovers compete with Ferraris and Porsches.

I am still glad we saw the city prior to the changes. 

In answer to 'the beaten track', like many others, we hired a car, driver and guide from Alla and within the allowed parameters, did our own thing for two days. It was worth it. 

I feel desperately sorry for Ukraine, desperately, but I also feel for the Russian people too. I doubt the ordinary man on the street wants this war and unless a miracle happens, they will have no say in ending it. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Add Skagen, Kiel & Warnemunde  to that list

• Like 1

We enjoyed every port on our Baltic cruise (Copenhagen, Oslo, Stockholm, Helsinki,  Tallinn, Gdansk, St. Petersburg) and saw a lot--we have also been to these countries on land tours, but there is something special about being on the sea, as it recalls the time of the Vikings and exploration by water. 

To visit a place with a tourist perspective is only a single dimension of travel.  From my point of view, it is critical to know about the history, the culture, the people, the geography and all other components that create a society or civilization.  A Baltic cruise allows the visitor to briefly learn about many countries that have been associated with both Nordic and Baltic traditions. Russia is a unique country because it touches both Europe and Asia.

We Americans (and others) do not truly have a full understanding of the Russian experience, mindset or way of life.  

I visited Odessa as a cruise port of call back in 1974 as a young girl. Yes, the city was still part of the USSR.  I had seen the famous movie Potemekin, and it was very moving to be in a city where so many people had fought and died over time.   In those days life was much more basic.  The Ukrainian people are trying to create a future but are still struggling against a bloody past.

St. Petersburg as a port of call is a jewel in a crown to visit-- palaces, museums, churches-- the list goes on.  Yet I was very touched to see all the tombs of the czars honored and preserved, especially Nicholas and Alexandra,  after such a fierce revolution.

Of course that city is a highlight of a Baltic cruise, but every city and every country has MUCH to offer the visitor who arrives curious and eager to gain knowledge.

• Like 1

Cunard have posted this on Social Media 

"In light of the current situation with Russia and Ukraine we will be amending itineraries on Baltic cruises. Our top priority is compliance, environmental protection and the health, safety and well-being of our guests, crew members, shoreside employees and the people in the places we touch and we will advise guests of the changes as soon as possible."

The Cunard response is no surprise at all.  The ship and all souls on board will be kept as safe as possible, and I am sure Cunard will do its best to make the most optimal decisions it can the in the current situation, and look after the interests of the passengers, for Baltic and all other cruises, for the foreseeable future.

On 2/26/2022 at 4:34 AM, exlondoner said:

I think the highlight of Helsinki is the main railway station. And if you have seen it, you'll know this isn't sarcasm. 

Don’t forget the Temppeliaukio aka The Church in the Rock. Another highlight in Helsinki…

• Like 2

It's like removing Buenos Aires from Argentina/Brazil cruise.. Or removing Dubai from the Emirates cruise..

Personally I would cancel. Just to shows the cruise lines that politics should not dictate travel decisions, but also because the other ports are really not in the same league. For many travelers St. Petersburg was the main reason to take this cruise, I hope many will cancel. 

21 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

It's like removing Buenos Aires from Argentina/Brazil cruise.. Or removing Dubai from the Emirates cruise..

Personally I would cancel. Just to shows the cruise lines that politics should not dictate travel decisions, but also because the other ports are really not in the same league. For many travelers St. Petersburg was the main reason to take this cruise, I hope many will cancel. 

The FCO  have advised against travel to Russia so Cunard have no choice but to comply since no UK citizen will be insured if going against FCO advice.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

Doubt it is politics but fear for the safety of the passengers. When a country goes to war against another country, it might not be wise to travel to either country no matter who you may be.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ak1004 said:

I do take your point about the overall experience having been diminished but I am not sure what cancellation options we have. I assume we can can if we are prepared to take the hit on our  deposit but we have a sizeable deposit paid due to precious covid cancellations.