Chefs Table info

klfrodo

We selected to enjoy the Chefs Table on our upcoming cruise on the Freedom.

When we selected this, we were not given an option as to what evening. It just scheduled us for the 1st night.

The 1st night is not optimal for us.

1st question. Is this normal when booking the Chefs Table on Carnival that they automatically schedule for the first evening?

2nd question. Will we be given the opportunity to select an evening that is more favorable for us?

1 hour ago, klfrodo said:

We selected to enjoy the Chefs Table on our upcoming cruise on the Freedom.

When we selected this, we were not given an option as to what evening. It just scheduled us for the 1st night.

The 1st night is not optimal for us.

1st question. Is this normal when booking the Chefs Table on Carnival that they automatically schedule for the first evening?

2nd question. Will we be given the opportunity to select an evening that is more favorable for us?

I don't think they offer it every night. On most cruises it is only on one night.

My understanding is that the number of days the Chef's Table is offered depends on the length of the cruise.  Recently, on the Dream, it was offered several times during the 8 days.  We were booked for the Chef's Table on the Monday evening after the Saturday embarkation (if that makes sense) after receiving a phone call in our cabin confirming the day/time.  It may be possible to ask for another day, but we never have.  We book it every cruise because we enjoy it so much that we would not miss it.  It is also my understanding that the only time the Chef's Table is not offered is on shorter, 3 or 4-day cruises.  

If you book in advance, you can now choose the day.  Most recently (on the Dream in December and Radiance in January) we were told they will hold it every night if they have enough bookings.  Each seating is very limited, so they can fill quickly.

Probably a crazy question but does anyone know if they will substitute a protein?  All the menus I have seen so far have lamb and both my husband and I abhor lamb, I just cannot stomach it.  I fully realize many, many people love it but I to me it is blech....

8 hours ago, MandyMooToo said:

Probably a crazy question but does anyone know if they will substitute a protein?  All the menus I have seen so far have lamb and both my husband and I abhor lamb, I just cannot stomach it.  I fully realize many, many people love it but I to me it is blech....

One of our chef table mates did this. Asked for chicken instead. But just to warn you I think the chef was just a bit irritated. After all this is his menu picked especially for the evening.

10 minutes ago, gsilva said:

One of our chef table mates did this. Asked for chicken instead. But just to warn you I think the chef was just a bit irritated. After all this is his menu picked especially for the evening.

I understand the chef being irritated at a change but is it really the menu he picked especially for the evening when the same menu is being served on almost all the ships by different chefs? 😂 My guess is that corporate decides the menu, with possible variations between ships, and all the chefs go with it. I could be wrong of course…

If we book it I will do so onboard and ask if a substitution for that one protein will be an issue. If it is then we won’t do it. Thanks for your response!

2 minutes ago, MandyMooToo said:

I understand the chef being irritated at a change but is it really the menu he picked especially for the evening when the same menu is being served on almost all the ships by different chefs? 😂 My guess is that corporate decides the menu, with possible variations between ships, and all the chefs go with it. I could be wrong of course…

If we book it I will do so onboard and ask if a substitution for that one protein will be an issue. If it is then we won’t do it. Thanks for your response!

It may be different now. I remember the chef coming out explaining each dish and looking very proud. Guess it would change things if every menu is the same on every ship. Oh well. Wonder if it's still worth the 75 dollar price tag.

11 minutes ago, gsilva said:

It may be different now. I remember the chef coming out explaining each dish and looking very proud. Guess it would change things if every menu is the same on every ship. Oh well. Wonder if it's still worth the 75 dollar price tag.

Fairly certain the chef still comes out and explains each dish and I’m sure they are proud.  The menu is still excellent and likely takes a certain level of skill to pull off. I just know that I’m researching the chef’s table I have seen nearly the exact same menu for most every ship. The starters may be slightly different or something like that but the menu is still almost the same. I think the experience is about an intimate dinner with good wine and a select menu with the chef presenting each dish. 

9 hours ago, MandyMooToo said:

There is plenty of food, and there are so many courses that the portions in each individual course is relatively small. Even if you skipped the lamb course, you will not leave hungry,  My suggestion is if lamb is on the menu, give it at least a taste.  You may have never had it prepared well, and you just might like it.  

1 hour ago, staceyglow said:

There is plenty of food, and there are so many courses that the portions in each individual course is relatively small. Even if you skipped the lamb course, you will not leave hungry,  My suggestion is if lamb is on the menu, give it at least a taste.  You may have never had it prepared well, and you just might like it.  

I appreciate the info and the suggestion. I have had lamb prepared well, I just do not like it. At all. I would have no problem asking them to skip that course if that is easier but I hate to waste food so I wouldn’t want it served even for a taste since I know I don’t like it. For me, no lamb and no liver. Can’t do it. 

On 3/2/2022 at 2:33 PM, gsilva said:

I think it's $95 now