Demographic on 4-night West. Carib.?

2 minutes ago, SetAnOpenCourse said:

Any educated guesses on the demographic on Brilliance of the Seas, March 24 (Thursday to Monday)?  We'd prefer a more peaceful atmosphere with fewer young families, or college partiers.

Odd you would pick a date that is in the middle of college and k-12 spring break. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SetAnOpenCourse said:

Any educated guesses on the demographic on Brilliance of the Seas, March 24 (Thursday to Monday)?  We'd prefer a more peaceful atmosphere with fewer young families, or college partiers.

The ship itself probably attracts lesser young folks than more appealing larger ships.  But the 4 day trip and spring  timing will moderate that to some or even a large degree.  

Might be hard to predict given Covid.  Groups of college kids probably want to avoid Covid protocols.  Given many make plans in advance for travel (even college kids), it is possible that demographic mainly steered clear of cruising due to masking and vaccination requirements requires at the time.

Not sure the exact stats, but I’d guess in a group of 5-10 there will likely be 1 or more unvaccinated.  So that group might choose a different type of trip so as not to exclude someone.  Plus it is expensive.  Yes, parents are probably flipping the bill for most that would cruise.  But would they do that this year and risk their kid getting quarantined in a foreign country (something that seemed possible a few months ago when folks might have considered a cruise).  

It will be interesting to hear the reporting when spring break starts.  I’d say you are definitely rolling the dice on that trip if you want a peace and quiet.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That date is indeed in the middle of spring break and heavy vacation time for families trying to get a break from the winter weather.   

Also, the shorter cruises definitely bring in more young families that can't take that much time off, and may not be able to afford a longer cruise.....plus it's over a weekend for Mom and Dad that may be working.  

You will have lots of kids, teenagers, young families etc.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 2

As a general rule for any cruise, the longer it is the older the passengers.

3 and 4-nighters - particularly over a weekend - are basically party cruises.

Having said that, apart from the obvious pinch points (eg the Windjammer at lunchtime and the pool deck on sea days), ships are good at eating people and it’s usually not a problem finding somewhere quiet away from the crowds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SetAnOpenCourse said:

Perhaps your schedule and responsibilities aren't very restrictive.  The second half of March will probably be my only chance this year for a vacation.

You asked, you got answers.  Whatever your reasoning for choosing this time frame, you will likely encounter a lot of families and college students.  

• Like 2

The shorter the itinerary, the greater likelihood of having more younger folks onboard.  

If you are not limited to sailing for 4 or 5 days, are not set on leaving on March 24h out of Tampa, and want to sail within that same week timeframe, take a look at the Jewel of the Seas 8 night sailing out of Miami that departs March 26th. Final payment date was yesterday and rates today have dropped and are pretty good. I just took a look at pricing for both voyages and you can probably extend your voyage from 4 to 8 days for a price that is not a whole lot more than the 4 night would cost. Just thought I would throw this out for you to consider... 😉

• Like 1

In general, people here are correct.  However, I was on Brilliance in December for their first revenue cruise Thursday - Monday.  I didn't feel like it was too much of a party atmosphere, but then again, it was also right before Omicron showed its ugly head. In fact, I noted how low energy it felt on that cruise.  It was fine for me though.

3 hours ago, SetAnOpenCourse said:

You are unlikely to get your preference.  A short cruise such as this, in the middle of spring break, is going to have a lot of college partiers.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rogueperson said:

In general, people here are correct.  However, I was on Brilliance in December for their first revenue cruise Thursday - Monday.  I didn't feel like it was too much of a party atmosphere, but then again, it was also right before Omicron showed its ugly head. In fact, I noted how low energy it felt on that cruise.  It was fine for me though.

Except that December is not spring break for schools....including partying College students.