Where to stay for cruise out of cape liberty, bayonne?

Sun Lover

We are staying at "Holiday Inn Express Newark Airport – Elizabeth" mid March, seems close enough to the port and my wife works for Holiday Inn so we get employee rate which helps.

Haven't stayed there before, If we like it we'll stay again for our May cruises on Oasis.

7 minutes ago, LouTheGlue said:

We are staying at "Holiday Inn Express Newark Airport – Elizabeth" mid March, seems close enough to the port and my wife works for Holiday Inn so we get employee rate which helps.

Haven't stayed there before, If we like it we'll stay again for our May cruises on Oasis.

@LouTheGlue Get on over to the Roll Calls!  They're dead!

1 hour ago, Sun Lover said:

We'll be sailing for the first time out of Bayonne on Anthem.  Looking for recommendations for hotels that are convenient to the port there.  Thanks.

As noted, there are no hotels close to the port. Do not stay at any of the Newark Airport hotels, the exception being airport hotels in Elizabeth along International Blvd near Jersey Gardens mall.

Look at hotels in Parsippany, Rockaway or Morristown NJ, depending which route you are driving. About 30 miles from these locations to Cape Liberty. They will be suburban areas with more dining choices than Elizabeth hotels.

• Like 1

I’m going to insert a plug here for my town of Montclair, NJ. The MC Hotel on Bloomfield Avenue has parking and is literally on top of a great shopping and dining area, and has a lovely rooftop bar (depending on what time of year you’re sailing—it’s not super fun in January). Plenty of great places to eat within a five block radius, and it’s a pretty easy drive to the port from here—we’re about 11 miles away. The above mentioned Parsippany, Rockaway and Morristown are all significantly further out (another 20 minutes to half an hour or more), and also more spread out. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sun Lover said:

We'll be sailing for the first time out of Bayonne on Anthem.  Looking for recommendations for hotels that are convenient to the port there.  Thanks.

2 minutes ago, ginadcnj said:

I’m going to insert a plug here for my town of Montclair, NJ. The MC Hotel on Bloomfield Avenue has parking and is literally on top of a great shopping and dining area, and has a lovely rooftop bar (depending on what time of year you’re sailing—it’s not super fun in January). Plenty of great places to eat within a five block radius, and it’s a pretty easy drive to the port from here—we’re about 11 miles away. The above mentioned Parsippany, Rockaway and Morristown are all significantly further out (another 20 minutes to half an hour or more), and also more spread out. 

@Sun Lover I assume that you are driving from your home in upstate NY, and parking in the garage at the cruise terminal?  If so, Gina's recommendation is excellent.  If you want a park 'n' cruise deal, you're better off at Embassy Suites, and taking an Uber to and from the port.

1 hour ago, Merion_Mom said:

Embassy Suites, Elizabeth (no "town") 😄 

This is where we have stayed our last three cruises out of Bayonne.  Saying that I do have to say our stay in September for our Oasis Cruise was very disappointing.  Remember the big storm that came through there with all the flooding?  It was a disaster and some people lost their lives.  Hotels took in a lot of displaced families as they were in a bad way.  The Embassy suites had many families on their property and the lobby looked like a homeless shelter.  Our floor in the hotel literally had 3 cats running down the hall being chased by their owners.  The occupants were not allowed to have pets on sight needless to say.  My wife and I are staying there again on the 12th and I called the Front desk manager yesterday and asked if they were still housing victims of the floods.  She said they are and it has been a challenge.  She said she would put my wife and I on a higher floor and reassured the stay would be better.  Its funny that after 6 months she knew who the women was that was housing the cats and she said that she left only 3 weeks ago.  I thought that was kind of funny.

I will report back after our stay to see if things are any better.  Its too bad because it has a shuttle from the airport, free drinks at night, breakfast in the morning, and a spectacular mall just across the street with plenty of restaurants and shopping.

Hoping for a better stay.  Dan

We are staying at the Best Western Airport/Cruiseport tomorrow night and using the park and stay for 14 days .  They provide the RT shuttle to and from the cruiseport. for 2 and we pay $35 more for our third rider.  It still costs us less than the port parking fee and includes the hotel stay.  We have done it before and it worked well for us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ginadcnj said:

Certainly MC Hotel is an option if cost is not an issue but to state that it is 11 miles from Cape Liberty is a misrepresentation. As  I stated the areas I listed are about 30 miles from the port yet the mileage difference between Hyatt in Morristown & MC in Montclair to Cape Liberty is 6 miles. One would not drive to route 3 to NJTP from Morristown , as they would from Montclair, to get to Bayonne

Downtown Morristown is tranquil, serene in comparison to the heavy traffic on Bloomfield Avenue in Montclair.

5 hours ago, davekathy said:

Bummer. Website lists it as permanently closed?!?!? Looks like we'll be staying at the New Hampton Inn or Embassy Suites again in the future. 

Just avoid Comfort Inn & Suites...it was a dump...what a waste of points !!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

@Sun Lover I assume that you are driving from your home in upstate NY, and parking in the garage at the cruise terminal?  If so, Gina's recommendation is excellent.  If you want a park 'n' cruise deal, you're better off at Embassy Suites, and taking an Uber to and from the port.

Yes, we are driving so we won't need transportation to the port.  I guess we should look at Montclair then?

2 hours ago, Sun Lover said:

Yes, we are driving so we won't need transportation to the port.  I guess we should look at Montclair then?

MC is also a Marriott property so if you happen to have Marriott points that comes in handy. If you do stay there, I highly recommend the nearby restaurants Uncle Momo (French-Lebanese bistro with great shwarma) and Faubourg (French brasserie, great outdoor dining and bar as well as indoor space). We also like Jack's Seafood Shack, although some of our friends have found it hit or miss. Toast is great for brunch but my guess is your timeframe won't allow for brunch. If the weather's good and you do want to check out the rooftop bar at the MC, Alto, you'll want reservations. https://themchotel.com/food-drink/alto/