Free local COVID testing or use already purchased BinaxNOW ?

We_like_to_cruise

Back in January pre-cruise we purchased via the Princess link the proctored Abbot BinaxNOW home COVID tests.

At that time there were few testing sites locally and the lines were 4+ hours long. 

Well, the January cruise was cancelled, so we never needed the tests.

However, for an upcoming cruise we could still use the purchased tests (expire 11/22) or now easily have a free rapid test locally.

Conflicted on holding onto the home tests - and wasting the money spent - if testing in the future is not needed.  On the other hand, the local testing is free and we do have a few more cruises lined up before the home test expiration dates.

Any thoughts? 

Thank you.

Why not go for the free test now & save the Abbot BinaxNOW tests in case things get worse again?

Either way it was money spent even though you don't need them now and you just might in the future. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, We_like_to_cruise said:

Back in January pre-cruise we purchased via the Princess link the proctored Abbot BinaxNOW home COVID tests.

At that time there were few testing sites locally and the lines were 4+ hours long. 

Well, the January cruise was cancelled, so we never needed the tests.

However, for an upcoming cruise we could still use the purchased tests (expire 11/22) or now easily have a free rapid test locally.

Conflicted on holding onto the home tests - and wasting the money spent - if testing in the future is not needed.  On the other hand, the local testing is free and we do have a few more cruises lined up before the home test expiration dates.

Any thoughts? 

Thank you.

I'm holding off on ordering more proctored tests for our April cruise.  I don't see a shortage happening again and I'm not positive there will be a requirement for the testing when we go.  If we need them, I'll order them a couple of weeks before we go, but I'm holding off for another couple of weeks, since everything is "opening up".  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Drews_Cruise said:

Where is there free testing?  I have not heard of this and am booked for testing near the port of San Francisco at $100.00 per test.  Is there another option that I'm not aware of?

I have no idea if the test is free in San Francisco but you can give this web site a try. You'll need to use their zip code

https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/clinic-locator/fl/capecoral/coronavirus-testing.html

From what I gather it's not actually in CVS but they set up a tent on their property. I only scheduled our tests for an up coming cruise so far. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, justafem said:

I'm holding off on ordering more proctored tests for our April cruise.  I don't see a shortage happening again and I'm not positive there will be a requirement for the testing when we go.  If we need them, I'll order them a couple of weeks before we go, but I'm holding off for another couple of weeks, since everything is "opening up".  

That's my thinking as well for my April 17th cruise. Hoping we won't need to test by that time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Drews_Cruise said:

Where is there free testing?  I have not heard of this and am booked for testing near the port of San Francisco at $100.00 per test.  Is there another option that I'm not aware of?

Walgreens and CVS offer free testing in many states 

• Like 2

Walgreens and CVS in the SF area have free drive-thru and walk up locations.  I researched them before our Jan cruise.  

• Like 2

Provided by our county in Florida, but won't help you in SF. 

But it looks like others provided some useful links.  Good luck.

3 hours ago, We_like_to_cruise said:

Well, it depends on whether you think you may have further cruises before the expiration date.  If not...I think I would go ahead and use the Abbott tests; it's "free" in that you have already paid for them and at least you'll have the feeling that they weren't wasted.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shelly97060 said:

I typically get the travel test at my local medical clinic ( which does not charge) and have the BinaxNOW on hand just in case the test results don’t get back in time. 

Good idea, especially good if they revert to 3 days prior to sailing. Here is a variation, local medical clinic, use Princess test at pier as fall back and use free government test kit before leaving home to avoid surprise at the pier. What is the Princess cost versus Abbott proctor? This does not apply to OP.

• Thanks 1

I too shelled out $70 for the Binax test(s) but was able to get a free test at the Walnut Creek CVS.  Here in my home environment of Los Angeles and surrounds, I know a number of places that I can get quick and free tests.  I'm saving the Binax tests in case I want to do two back-to-back cruises on different lines (probably from the Port of Los Angeles or Long Beach) so I can do the proctored test using my internet on the ship and be ready to go on the second cruise without trying to find a testing facility nearby.  It might have been a waste of money but it sure feels good to have them as a backup option.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I bought the tests from princess for my January cruise on the Majestic and was saving the other for my April cruise but will save the purchased kit for later if my local testing sites have available testing.

• Thanks 1

I always use local testing first and keep my kit for backup. I travel enough for work that I can use my test kit if they are close to being expired.

I use county website to find walk-in testing sites and use avoid walgreen/cvs unless I need a PCR test.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Drews_Cruise said:

The testing is free for US Citizens and legal residents of those living in the US. You show as being from Canada.

• Thanks 1

The last time we purchased and used the Abbott proctored home test, the test kits had a very short expiration date but I know that the dates were extended under some "emergency use" band-aid.

If anyone has recently purchased these tests, will you please let me know what expiration date was on your kit and when you purchased them?

Thanks in advance for your kind help. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Potstech said:

The testing is free for US Citizens and legal residents of those living in the US. You show as being from Canada.

I am Canadian...I have gotten the free US tests at CityHealth (in California), Curative (in Florida), CVS (in Hawaii) and Walgreens (in Washington State)...as you can see...I love to travel and sniff out where we Canadians can test for free to get back home.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, ElkGroveCruiser said:

The last time we purchased and used the Abbott proctored home test, the test kits had a very short expiration date but I know that the dates were extended under some "emergency use" band-aid.

If anyone has recently purchased these tests, will you please let me know what expiration date was on your kit and when you purchased them?

Thanks in advance for your kind help. 

Well, we bought our tests early January and the expiration date is 11/2022.  Maybe someone can chime in with a more recent purchase.

• Like 1

Yes, all of our friends also got free tests in the US and I was very surprised that those stores were willing to give them to Canadians.  It must be because there is a flood of them in the market now and it doesnt cost them much,  We buy all of our supplies in these stores when we are there so they like that.  I don't mind a paid service, but was hoping for something a little more reasonable than $100.00 each. Coming home wont be an issue as Princess gives it as part of their fare.  Thanks for all the info.