New Canadian Cruise Requirements - Alaska Cruise Season in Jeopardy Again?

JT1962

Last summer we did a Viking cruise around Iceland.  We had to test every day on the cruise--so it can be done.  I don't know the type of test it was but we "spit into a tube" every morning; they had a lab onboard to process it.  

57 minutes ago, puppymama1 said:

Anyone know how strict Viking would be on exactly 72 hours?  We are flying out of Atlanta on Saturday to Vancouver, then boarding ship on Monday... Theoretically, a PCR test done on Friday should cover both admission to Canada and boarding the ship... but with the 3 hour time difference, if we were a few hours past 72 hours, would they still accept it?  Or should we try to get another test near our hotel (Delta Marriott) in Vancouver?  Or bring some Viking approved self tests with us?

Thats a question for Viking and they use the Verifly app and Im pretty sure Verifly sticks strictly to the 72 hour rule

Edited by Jjg34219

5 hours ago, puppymama1 said:

Viking is already doing daily testing onboard, so hopefully they will still be sailing their Vancouver to Seward and back cruises... We booked this last week after canceling our Danube cruise... We fly into Vancouver on May 21 and board the ship on May 23.. So we will have to do a rapid test on May 20 which hopefully will be good for both our arrival into Canada and boarding the ship.  But we may look for a rapid testing site near our hotel in Vancouver, or bring one of the monitored home tests with us to do in the hotel too, just in case... 

Yes, since they resumed cruising, Viking have required a higher standard with daily non-invasive onboard PCR testing. Viking pax will have no issues, as you are presented with a test certificate prior to disembarkation.

3 hours ago, J0Y0US said:

What cruise lines are testing 100% of people on board within a 72 hour window before arriving at a specific port? Additionally is there a cut off? What happens if a passenger fails to be tested will the ship be turned away for not having had everyone tested?

My hope is that we can just skip Canada on our Alaska cruise in June.

Viking test every pax & crew daily onboard the ship with a non-invasive PCR test. The samples are processed in the onboard laboratory installed on each ship.

The mega ship cruise lines declined to install this equipment due to cost.

If the Master requires all crew and pax to take a test, any pax/crew refusing is contravening the lawful order of the Master. This can result in being handed over to the local authorities, with a request for charges under the Shipping Act.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, puppymama1 said:

Anyone know how strict Viking would be on exactly 72 hours?  We are flying out of Atlanta on Saturday to Vancouver, then boarding ship on Monday... Theoretically, a PCR test done on Friday should cover both admission to Canada and boarding the ship... but with the 3 hour time difference, if we were a few hours past 72 hours, would they still accept it?  Or should we try to get another test near our hotel (Delta Marriott) in Vancouver?  Or bring some Viking approved self tests with us?

You will have a better chance of getting an answer if you ask on the Viking Boards.

Best guess is that you would most likely be OK, since on boarding you will provide a sample for the daily onboard test.

4 hours ago, Buddysmom10 said:

Last summer we did a Viking cruise around Iceland.  We had to test every day on the cruise--so it can be done.  I don't know the type of test it was but we "spit into a tube" every morning; they had a lab onboard to process it.  

i think viking was doing pcr especially if they need a lab to process it. rapid antigen doesn't need a lab..it's simpler than a pregnancy test lol  ....swirl in nose... put in vial, dip in test strip...and see if it's a boy or girl lol

5 hours ago, DougH said:

When they say molecular test is that a PCR and is a antigen test the rapid one?  Talked to a Princess rep and she said that a rapid test within 48 hours of boarding would get me into Canada a day early and then allow me to board the 2nd day

canada requires rapid test (antigen) no earlier than one day before (antigen) or molecular test (PCR or NAAT) 72 hrs before scheduled entry 

not sure where princess got the 48hrs from...as canada doesn't have 48hr for any particular test..it's either one day (NOT 24hr) for rapid antigen or 72hrs for molecular test 

but tbh, i wouldn't worry if it's required for you to disembark ..as once you're on board...you're princess problem until after you disembark.  so you're on your own if you need to fly back to the states (if you got off in canada) in terms of getting test required to fly home after disembark, but as canada requires test FOR disembarkation....unless princess wants to keep you onboard, they'll take care of testing lol

On 3/2/2022 at 2:37 PM, Italy52 said:

We have been through the Canada problem before.  Last time our round trip 14-day Alaska cruise that left and ended in Vancouver was cancelled.  Our two Seattle to Seattle 7-day Alaska cruises sailed but omitted Victoria. 

THIS is what I'm hoping for. I have zero desire to stop in Canada. Nothing there worth seeing. Much rather have an extended stay at one of the Alaskan ports or even better adding another stop. 

Seems like testing 4,000 passengers within 24 hours is a big ask to do on a ship.

Edited by sailor05
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, sailor05 said:

THIS is what I'm hoping for. I have zero desire to stop in Canada. Nothing there worth seeing. Much rather have an extended stay at one of the Alaskan ports or even better adding another stop. 

Seems like testing 4,000 passengers within 24 hours is a big ask to do on a ship.

Getting extra time in Alaska is unlikely if dropping Victoria, as they must leave sufficient slack in the schedule for the potential of heavy weather in the Pacific Ocean.

On R/T Seattle cruises, the stop in Victoria complies with the PVSA, but also provides slack in the schedule to ensure the ship docks in Seattle in time. Due to heavy weather, many Victoria calls are shortened, as the ship arrives late.

Enjoy your sea day views of the Pacific Ocean. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sailor05 said:

They do it all the time (testing everyone) on cruises ..just on non US ones or ones longer than 7 days or Hawaii, it's a rapid antigen test.

Takes longer to sanitize your hands than for them to collect your specimen. So if they have no issue feeding everyone, a 10sec swab isn't a big deal for them 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sailor05 said:

I have zero desire to stop in Canada. Nothing there worth seeing.

Ouch! (coming from a proud Canadian, who lives on the west coast).   I hope you will give us a chance at somepoint to prove you wrong.      I do get that the 4 hr stop in Victoria would not give you a true sample of what we have to offer. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, gilboman said:

They do it all the time (testing everyone) on cruises ..just on non US ones or ones longer than 7 days or Hawaii, it's a rapid antigen test.

Takes longer to sanitize your hands than for them to collect your specimen. So if they have no issue feeding everyone, a 10sec swab isn't a big deal for them 

4000-5000 people though? Are non US cruises that full right now? 

It’s heart breaking for our family bcs this trip has been cancelled twice, and I think we have to again. We can’t risk being quarantined in Canada post cruise, per the new rules. We’re all up against unmovable job deadlines. We’re a big group too. I don’t relish paying for a quarantine hotel either - didn’t budget for that!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mndisfam62 said:

It’s heart breaking for our family bcs this trip has been cancelled twice, and I think we have to again. We can’t risk being quarantined in Canada post cruise, per the new rules. We’re all up against unmovable job deadlines. We’re a big group too. I don’t relish paying for a quarantine hotel either - didn’t budget for that!

In the days of Covid you really should have travel insurance that covers for Covid IMO. 

5 hours ago, Woody14 said:

Ouch! (coming from a proud Canadian, who lives on the west coast).   I hope you will give us a chance at somepoint to prove you wrong.      I do get that the 4 hr stop in Victoria would not give you a true sample of what we have to offer. 

I have to agree with my Canadian friend.  Time in Victoria is short, but it is a lovely area.  Perfect for a late afternoon, or early evening stroll into the downtown area.  I would not dismiss a Canadian port-of-call out of hand.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

I have to agree with my Canadian friend.  Time in Victoria is short, but it is a lovely area.  Perfect for a late afternoon, or early evening stroll into the downtown area.  I would not dismiss a Canadian port-of-call out of hand.

That's one of the beauties of living on the West Coast, regardless of which side of the border. We have great places to visit and spend time, on both sides.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, J0Y0US said:

4000-5000 people though? Are non US cruises that full right now? 

I’m on a Caribbean cruise right now.  It’s at 71% of capacity  with about 4300 on board. So I would guess that the larger ships would probably exceed that by the time the Alaska season starts.  I believe the ships that large are doing round trip cruises from Seattle or one of the cruise ports farther south and only stopping in Canada to meet PVSA requirement.

It would be nice if we could have the option to just stay on the ship in Victoria and not have to test/fill out extra paperwork, etc.

It will also be interesting to see how they deal with recently recovered, as this is allowed by the cruise lines, but not by Canada.  If it's just a stop in Victoria will the cruise lines need to cancel these folks, or can they just not have them disembark at Victoria?

• Like 1

Some cruise lines don’t seem to think there will be an issue since Holland America and now Princess have announced their Alaska sailings are confirmed. I haven’t seen any updates on any new requirements, even though the first ships arrive in a few weeks. 

https://cruiseradio.net/princess-2022-alaska-canada-new-england-cruise/

12 minutes ago, Free2bMeForever said:

I’m on a Caribbean cruise right now.  It’s at 71% of capacity  with about 4300 on board. So I would guess that the larger ships would probably exceed that by the time the Alaska season starts.  I believe the ships that large are doing round trip cruises from Seattle or one of the cruise ports farther south and only stopping in Canada to meet PVSA requirement.

Except from what I understand you have to test on board for these round trips. 

They also are not testing everyone on board in the Caribbean I don't think are they? Been since December since we were on a ship. 

2 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

Some cruise lines don’t seem to think there will be an issue since Holland America and now Princess have announced their Alaska sailings are confirmed. I haven’t seen any updates on any new requirements, even though the first ships arrive in a few weeks. 

https://cruiseradio.net/princess-2022-alaska-canada-new-england-cruise/

For them there is no issue. Their either test on board, skip CA, or bump people if they can't meet the testing requirements on board for full capacity. 

I never thought AK would be cancelled it's about the updated policies that will come. 

1 hour ago, J0Y0US said:

Except from what I understand you have to test on board for these round trips. 

They also are not testing everyone on board in the Caribbean I don't think are they? Been since December since we were on a ship. 

Yes the Barbados sailings are.  We were tested NY day to fly back to US.  I dont think it is a big deal.  We had to test at the height of Omicron.  And yes, there were quite a few that tested positive.  

Ive had to test to come back to the US 5x from international travel.  I never got Covid nor did my husband.  Yes, its a pain but if you want to reenter US, that's the rules.

23 hours ago, Woody14 said:

Not everyone thinks that Canada is to be missed- Victoria is wonderful (although 4 hours in the evening might be a miss) and Vancouver worth lots and lots of time. As are many other places across the country. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 5waldos said:

Not everyone thinks that Canada is to be missed- Victoria is wonderful (although 4 hours in the evening might be a miss) and Vancouver worth lots and lots of time. As are many other places across the country. 

I think people are reading too much in to it from the other poster. 

3-5 hours, extra testing, in evening not during day

It's not like it's a full stop for 6-8 hours that people want cancelled. 

Additonally have to account for basically losing dinner if you get off the ship. 

I don't think anyone means Canada as a whole they are talking about a Canada stop on a Alaska specific trip. 

• Like 4