Reflection to be revolutionized in Sept ('22) ?

Tom-n-Cheryl

2 hours ago, RichYak said:

"We're not going to proceed with any formal plans to Revolutionize the remaining ships in the fleet. However, we'll spruce them up if and when we have the time and resources..."

I dunno, maybe it's best they say nothing and just do it quietly.

Or leave the update announcements language to the PR professionals who know how to market this change appropriately…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WonderMan3 said:

Or leave the update announcements language to the PR professionals who know how to market this change appropriately…

Agree 100%. I would add that "appropriately" might very well mean "not at all" which is what I was getting at earlier. There's not a lot of marketability in "Revolution... eventually... or maybe not at all" which is the reality.

Actually the movie "Crazy People" with Dudley Moore comes to mind. This might be a job for them!

On 4/8/2022 at 4:21 PM, maggie.1008 said:

I did see a updated chart for upgrades on all ships, somewhere on cruise critic. I don’t remember which post. I believe the Solstice wasn’t done until 2025. 

I’d be interested in seeing this, if it includes the updated plans for Eclipse.

On 4/6/2022 at 2:45 PM, DCPIV said:

I'm totally speculating, but I wonder if it has anything to do with feeback about the "updates."

Was feedback negative? What has been wrong with the updates?

On 4/8/2022 at 3:21 PM, maggie.1008 said:

I did see a updated chart for upgrades on all ships, somewhere on cruise critic. I don’t remember which post. I believe the Solstice wasn’t done until 2025. 

But it said something was done to Solstice in Oct. of 2021

18 minutes ago, dgoz said:

Was feedback negative? What has been wrong with the updates?

The person hired to direct all of the 'interior design' for the Revolution bragged that she'd never been on cruise ship before.  Given the really non-functional furniture and storage features that came as part of the Revolution, I have every confidence that she was telling the truth.  The overall look/ambience has also been a topic of conversation -- some like, some hate -- but opinions regarding the issue of loss of functionality aren't nearly as subjective. 

Truly functional use of space in maritime design is a bit of an art.  There are many examples in threads here that indicate the use of finger paint when drawing up the Revolution.  Lack of storage in nightstands, chairs that don't fit under desks and therefore must become an obstacle to move around, 'low, armless, muffin chairs' that those less abled couldn't possibly stand up from once seated, useful horizontal spaces filled with cute chachkies (/tchotchkes) ... the list is endless, and shows either a disregard or a misunderstanding of passenger comfort and convenience.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, canderson said:

The person hired to direct all of the 'interior design' for the Revolution bragged that she'd never been on cruise ship before.  Given the really non-functional furniture and storage features that came as part of the Revolution, I have every confidence that she was telling the truth.  The overall look/ambience has also been a topic of conversation -- some like, some hate -- but opinions regarding the issue of loss of functionality aren't nearly as subjective. 

Truly functional use of space in maritime design is a bit of an art.  There are many examples in threads here that indicate the use of finger paint when drawing up the Revolution.  Lack of storage in nightstands, chairs that don't fit under desks and therefore must become an obstacle to move around, 'low, armless, muffin chairs' that those less abled couldn't possibly stand up from once seated, useful horizontal spaces filled with cute chachkies (/tchotchkes) ... the list is endless, and shows either a disregard or a misunderstanding of passenger comfort and convenience.

“Bragged “ or simply stated a fact, which I venture to guess is why Celebrity hired her, something new and refreshing .  I’m not commenting on the design any longer other than to say, nothing anyone carries on and whines about here is going to change a darn thing, whether one likes it or not.  Plenty of other lines to choose from.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

“Bragged “ or simply stated a fact, which I venture to guess is why Celebrity hired her, something new and refreshing .  I’m not commenting on the design any longer other than to say, nothing anyone carries on and whines about here is going to change a darn thing, whether one likes it or not.  Plenty of other lines to choose from.

I agree with you.  Everyone’s taste in decorating  is different.

On 4/7/2022 at 8:07 PM, WonderMan3 said:

Celebrity continuing to push "The Retreat" in full force through all their marketing and on their websites when there are a number of ships that don't have all the amenities.

Exactly what I was thinking, that X has gone all in with Retreat.  They probably don't want to revise their full revolutionary plans because they're unsure when they perform it.  The cost of raw materials like wood, not to mention oil have skyrocketed, X may be intentionally stalling in hopes that pricing goes down.

On 4/7/2022 at 10:07 PM, WonderMan3 said:

Please spare the snark. I am well aware of what the entire world has been going through let alone the cruise industry. But we're also talking about something that is about a year away and with Celebrity continuing to push "The Retreat" in full force through all their marketing and on their websites when there are a number of ships that don't have all the amenities. If they have no plans to fully follow through with these Revolution updates then they need to make that clear on the website ship by ship so customers know exactly what they are purchasing especially in the case of ships like Equinox that only get partial updates (which had nothing to do with Covid btw). And the reason I know it's confusing is because people come to these boards and ask us questions to clarify what is on what ship. I feel bad for those who don't know about this resource and show up onboard to find certain amenities not there that expected. You shouldn't have to hunt for asterisks to dig for fine print that tells you "Only on (insert ships)" or "Not available on (insert ships)". There would be no shame in them coming out with a PR statement that says all updates are on hold until thus and such year or updates are coming but in a more limited fashion and articulate what that would mean, i.e. hull painting, soft goods, Retreat sundeck with no hot tub, etc. People are a big fan of transparency. 

You need to spare the snark.  The responder was sharing their reason for their belief as to why they feel Celebrity is doing what they are doing under the current circumstances.  Will they, won’t they none of us knows, but a person is allowed to share their views.  Agree or don’t, Celebrity is right now focused on the here and today, IMO rightfully so.

3 hours ago, Oville said:

I agree with you.  Everyone’s taste in decorating  is different.

Again, I am carefully avoiding the issue of 'taste in decorating'.  There are proponents and opponents of Kelly's style.  We'll leave that in the eye of the beholder.

It's the bizarre issues of functionality that have popped up all over the place that are open to serious question.  Understanding proper use of space when it is in limited supply (especially in a cabin) is critical to making the best use of that space for the comfort of the passenger.  It seems she had no innate appreciation for this, and that combined with having no time on a ship to understand this at a personal level left her without the requisite experience that would have guided her to what I imagine would have been some very different decisions. 

The SS we have selected for our 'kids' for our Reflection TA in late October would have been less functional after the Revolution than before, so we're happy to have sailed Reflection before it happens.  As for our suite, they've reduced the table size and seating from 6 to 4 as part of the Revolution, and a few other things have changed as well that leave us happy to be on Reflection in October.

7 hours ago, canderson said:

Again, I am carefully avoiding the issue of 'taste in decorating'.  There are proponents and opponents of Kelly's style.  We'll leave that in the eye of the beholder.

It's the bizarre issues of functionality that have popped up all over the place that are open to serious question.  Understanding proper use of space when it is in limited supply (especially in a cabin) is critical to making the best use of that space for the comfort of the passenger.  It seems she had no innate appreciation for this, and that combined with having no time on a ship to understand this at a personal level left her without the requisite experience that would have guided her to what I imagine would have been some very different decisions. 

The SS we have selected for our 'kids' for our Reflection TA in late October would have been less functional after the Revolution than before, so we're happy to have sailed Reflection before it happens.  As for our suite, they've reduced the table size and seating from 6 to 4 as part of the Revolution, and a few other things have changed as well that leave us happy to be on Reflection in October.

I must ask (OT alert) - but what's the story behind WD-40 (competing product)?

Tom

2 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I must ask (OT alert) - but what's the story behind WD-40 (competing product)?

Tom

LONG story regarding a cruiser who was permanently banned from X.  Was told by a judge to quit carrying mace (wasn't an onboard thing, shoreside) and carried WD-40 instead.  We leave it there so as not to upset the mods here!

• Like 1

I personally hope they do let us know which ships, if any, they plan on revolutionizing or updating. We booked a SS on Reflection for next year and for the price I’m not sure We will keep the reservation if no upgrades have been done. I could go on 3 cruises in a Veranda or Concierge cabin for the price of a SS

55 minutes ago, Purplsmurf said:

I personally hope they do let us know which ships, if any, they plan on revolutionizing or updating. We booked a SS on Reflection for next year and for the price I’m not sure We will keep the reservation if no upgrades have been done. I could go on 3 cruises in a Veranda or Concierge cabin for the price of a SS

Educated guess, no I did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night, the Reflection being the newest of the non-Revolutionized ships, will be the last to get it, if even the program restarts. We are on her in August in a Sky Suite. I do not see anyway the Reflection gets the Revo by your cruise next year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

Educated guess, no I did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night, the Reflection being the newest of the non-Revolutionized ships, will be the last to get it, if even the program restarts. We are on her in August in a Sky Suite. I do not see anyway the Reflection gets the Revo by your cruise next year.

Agree. The Reflection was immaculate.