Guest Speakers on Iona

SHADOW F1RE

17 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

His delivery is excellent, that’s why he was world number one, won Wimbledon, an Olympic gold etc.etc.

Nothing at all wrong with his tennis, but he certainly wouldn't be in my top million dining tablemates.

4 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Nothing at all wrong with his tennis, but he certainly wouldn't be in my top million dining tablemates.

He is actually extremely interesting and engaging, as is Judy. Don’t judge an individual by their TV persona😀. People can be camera shy.

On 3/4/2022 at 3:27 PM, Fionboard said:

At least they are not talking about Concorde and WW2 weapons like they used to!!

I wouldn't complain it was only a few years ago you could buy a book at Glasgow Airport to read on the plane called 'The World's Worst Air Crashes' until it was removed.

Certainly keep you awake on a Long Haul Flight. :-) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ardennais said:

I also think that Andy Murray has a quiet, dry sense of humour and would love to have a chat!

I agree. His sense of humour is very dry, and he also is prepared to take the mickey out of himself, as shown when he does sketches with the likes of Peter Crouch for Comic Relief. 

• Like 3

My impression of some of the top tennis players, listening to them when chatting more informally, is that Andy Murray has a much more engaging personality than Nadal, Djocovic or Federer.  I can't imagine any of them taking the mickey out of themselves - it does tend to be a British  characteristic.

• Like 2

On 3/4/2022 at 2:53 PM, Eddie99 said:

QM TA which had James Taylor coming over to do a European tour and also performing on board

I travelled on one of these crossings - there have actually been two and I hope there may be a third as it was one of my best experiences ever. James and his family performed two concerts, hosted events onboard and he gave very open and frank interviews about his life. Not only a great musician but a lovely man.  In 2019 after a crew performance event I chatted with one of the waiters who had produced a brilliant rendition of You've Got a Friend and he explained how James had spent a great deal of time helping him perfect his guitar playing and singing whilst onboard and had continued with online lessons and help when he left.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 3

My best P&O speakers were Gevais Phinn on his tales of being an ofsted examiner, really funny and we chatted with him around the ship.

Also an ex policeman on true life crimes, we had an unplanned sea day and he did an extra talk with about an hour’s notice. Very interesting.

Gervais Phinn was very good

We’ve heard some really interesting speakers.  Among the ‘names’ 

Steve Heighway - Liverpool FC super-sub 

John Regis

Bill Giles

Rev Richard Coles 

Didn’t go to his talk but Eddie Large (RIP) and his lovely wife joined our dinner table in freedom dining one night (😱)and were the perfect dinner companions.  What a total hoot that was, and not because he took over the conversation but because he was simply a very nice, very amusing, person

• Like 6

We had two fantastic guest speakers on a Ventura Cruise just before Christmas. One was a Phycology lecturer from Middlesborough and the other was an former CID officer. They both filled the main theatre for every lecture. They were more popular than the theatre headliiners 🤣

On 3/13/2022 at 1:45 PM, P&O SUE said:

My best P&O speakers were Gevais Phinn on his tales of being an ofsted examiner, really funny and we chatted with him around the ship.

Also an ex policeman on true life crimes, we had an unplanned sea day and he did an extra talk with about an hour’s notice. Very interesting.

Yes, the policeman was interesting and funny.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2022 at 2:35 PM, Eddie99 said:

Gervais Phinn was very good

We’ve heard some really interesting speakers.  Among the ‘names’ 

Steve Heighway - Liverpool FC super-sub 

John Regis

Bill Giles

Rev Richard Coles 

Didn’t go to his talk but Eddie Large (RIP) and his lovely wife joined our dinner table in freedom dining one night (😱)and were the perfect dinner companions.  What a total hoot that was, and not because he took over the conversation but because he was simply a very nice, very amusing, person

Ooh I would have loved to have seen Steve Heighway. Thought he was more than a super sub though.