VeriFLY

PROCRUISE

It would seem that HAL, like others, now wants to eliminate as many staff members at the pier as possible. Trying to explain to my 89yr old friend, who I am cruising with on 3/9/22, how to use VeriFLY is almost impossible. I have our boarding passes and pictures on my Navigator App and that is enough for us plus vaccination cards and antigen results in hand. So, without using VeriFLY, it might actually take us an extra 5-10 minutes to board the ship which is just fine with us.

Not sure you are saying. We boarded on Feb 27 with CDC card, boarding pass, digital negative test and passport. The check in process is multi step, given the medical issues. This has absolutely not cut any personnel on the dock, at least not from our perspective. 

The only thing that has possibly cut staff is fewer people on the ship.

7 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Not sure you are saying. We boarded on Feb 27 with CDC card, boarding pass, digital negative test and passport. The check in process is multi step, given the medical issues. This has absolutely not cut any personnel on the dock, at least not from our perspective. 

The only thing that has possibly cut staff is fewer people on the ship.

Our 3/9/22 cruise is piloting VeriFLY as well as on a select number of other up coming cruises. If you complete this process, you walk directly on the ship through the VeriFLY entrance at the pier. It is interesting to note however, even if you do this process on your iPhone, you still must have in your possession: original proof of vaccination, and physical or digital copy of COVID test results as well as having completed mandatory items on the Navigator app or Online Check-In.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PROCRUISE said:

It would seem that HAL, like others, now wants to eliminate as many staff members at the pier as possible. Trying to explain to my 89yr old friend, who I am cruising with on 3/9/22, how to use VeriFLY is almost impossible.

I've never heard of 'VeriFLY' before. Would you please explain what it is? And what it has to do with my cruises? 
Thanks. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I’ve used it numerous times on flights daily all I had to do was show my VeriFLY pass. However, for tomorrow I am all good to go. But my mom reaches the final stage and gets system error. We have tried for days even opened a support ticket……ugh. No reply yet. Cruise is tomorrow. 

52 minutes ago, RuthC said:

I've never heard of 'VeriFLY' before. Would you please explain what it is? And what it has to do with my cruises? 
Thanks. 

It is a pilot program (app) that HAL is just now trying out on some upcoming cruises. If you are on a cruise that is part of the pilot program, you will received a detailed E-mail, prior to the cruise. We cruise 3/9/22 and received the E-mail yesterday. I can work my way through it but I suspect many older people, like myself, won't. The older friend I'm traveling with, who lives on the other side of the country, doesn't even want to try so even if I'm successful, I'm not going to immediately board with a completed VeriFLY while he goes the usual route, which probably won't take that much longer anyhow. 

It is similar, in nature, to what Princess has with their medallion app that was introduced the latter part of last year. It initially was a real nightmare (having struggled through it last September) but I think it works better now.

But what is the purpose? What does VeriFLY DO? 
Does it help me get on the ship more easily? Does it do anything for me once onboard? 
Is it something I MUST have? By calling it an 'APP', it implies that a smart phone is required. How does this impact people who don't have a smart phone? 

15 minutes ago, RuthC said:

But what is the purpose? What does VeriFLY DO? 
Does it help me get on the ship more easily? Does it do anything for me once onboard? 
Is it something I MUST have? By calling it an 'APP', it implies that a smart phone is required. How does this impact people who don't have a smart phone? 

I guess my best answer is: you put VeriFly app on your phone, then add HAL to the site. You put in your name, DOB, cruise that you'll be on. You take another passport type photo of yourself, you add a photo of your CDC vaccination card, a photo of your antigen test results and must complete the health questions that you do when you go on line and check-in. If all is successful, when arriving at the port with a completed VeriFLY on your phone, there will be a VeriFly entrance to the ship that you take to immediately board. Right now, at least, you certainly don't have to do this. Just come with the usual passport, boarding pass printed out or on Navigator, your CDC original vaccination card and antigen test results.

Edited by PROCRUISE

9 hours ago, waiting2retire said:

Since you refer specifically to the CDC vaccination card, is Verifly only available to Americans?

No, we can upload our vaccination paper as well.  Just take a photo of it and upload it.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, waiting2retire said:

Since you refer specifically to the CDC vaccination card, is Verifly only available to Americans?

No, we have used it since last year for flights on specific airlines.  Notably Aer Lingus and BA.  It is also used by JAL, Alaska and I believe, AA.

I just saw the email for my upcoming cruise, so I went back and read this thread. If I were going solo, I wouldn’t hesitate. However, this time I’m traveling with my son who has to fly in a day before, do the proctored test, drive to Nashville to spend the night before we fly out together the next day. Too many variables to have him do this from his home and me do it from mine, since they said all members on the booking have to do this. Maybe for the next cruise in Sept. 

March 5, 2022

Dear Valued Guest,

We look forward to welcoming you on board Rotterdam for your upcoming cruise (booking ******).

We’re excited to pilot a program on select sailings, including your voyage, using VeriFLY, a new tool to help speed your check-in process at the terminal. VeriFLY is a secure, free, digital health “wallet” application that helps vaccinated guests easily and securely submit their negative COVID-19 test results, vaccination records, and required pre-cruise health survey. Completing these tasks before you arrive at the port will make your embarkation a faster and more seamless experience.

How to Use VeriFLY

Visit our website for information or follow these steps to get ready for embarkation:

1. Download the VeriFLY app at
    • Apple App Store
    • Google Play
  1. Create Your Account
    • Enter your first and last names as they appear on your booking
    • Provide your email address
    • Take and upload a picture of your face
  1. Add Holland America Line to Your Trip
    • Tap the search icon and look for Holland America Line
    • Add us to your trip
    • Provide the six-character booking number and the corresponding last name for each booking you want to manage
  1. Upload and Answer
    • Upload your proof of COVID-19 vaccination
    • Upload negative COVID-19 test results by 11:59 PM the night before embarkation
    • Complete health assessment within 72 hours before sailing after submitting proof of COVID-19 vaccination and COVID-19 test results
    • Once all tasks are completed and required documents are approved you will see “ready to sail” or “checklist complete” and you’re ready for expedited check-in at the terminal!

As a reminder, if you completed the VeiFLY process you must have your VeriFLY pass with you and look for the VeriFLY signs upon entering the terminal at your scheduled check-in time (found on your Holland America boarding pass). We will have a special expedited path for you to follow. Please note that all guests in your party must have completed the VeriFLY process to use this line.

All guests, including those that have completed the VeriFLY process, must bring their travel documents, original proof of vaccination, and physical or digital copy of COVID-19 test results to cruise check-in.

Please note that you must still complete the mandatory items on the Navigator app or  Online Check-In, such as the the Cruise Contract, COVID-19 Risk Acceptance, and COVID-19 Vaccination Attestation in order to obtain your boarding pass. If you do not complete the VeriFLY process, you must also complete the Health Questionnaire at least 24 hours in advance of embarkation.

Thank you so much for choosing us for your cruise vacation, and we can’t wait to see you.

Warm Regards,

Holland America Line

Edited by RedIguana

3 hours ago, Navybikermom said:

I just saw the email for my upcoming cruise, so I went back and read this thread. If I were going solo, I wouldn’t hesitate. However, this time I’m traveling with my son who has to fly in a day before, do the proctored test, drive to Nashville to spend the night before we fly out together the next day. Too many variables to have him do this from his home and me do it from mine, since they said all members on the booking have to do this. Maybe for the next cruise in Sept. 

I understand your situation completely. By tomorrow afternoon, assuming my rapid antigen test result is negative, I will be able to complete VeriFLY and walk right onto the ship on Wednesday. However, my dear friend in Arizona, who is 89yrs old, would never be able to work his way through the process. Naturally, I will go with him through the "normal" line with his boarding pass, original CDC card, antigen test results and passport. As he said, "the instructions for VeriFLY are a little difficult for those of us born in 1932!  LOL

• Like 1

This is a 3rd party app that is not connected to Holland America.  I looked at Verifly’s terms/conditions and privacy policy, which are very lengthy and written to benefit Verifly and not the customer.  At this time I will not risk my private data just to get on board a few minutes earlier.

• Like 4

• 5 months later...

I have downloaded the "verifly" app twice, and it still doesn't display when I enter my upcoming October HAL cruise, triple checking the booking number and name spelling!  Wondering if there is a time factor involved....only works a certain number of days out from a cruise?  If so, it would be nice to know that. As we seem to need paper supporting documents for our covid vax, and we can fill out all other dox online before leaving home, I'm not sure we will bother with this. We drive to the port so we don't need it for e-tickets either. Very happy to see we don't need to bother with the covid testing now. I will avoid politics and instead say "bravo" to science!

I have just used VeriFLY for my flight to Vancouver. Very annoying! British Airlines wanted me to use the app to “speed up” check in. That would be fine if the app and BA actually talked to one another. I ended up entering the QR code of my Covid vaccine status 3 times until BA actually let me check in. VeriFLY also links to ArriveCan. I needed an ArriveCan verification number to add to my VeriFLY data. It is a major headache.

I have started filling in VeriFLY for my HAL cruise on Wednesday but I have had to stop until I do my Covid test. 

All these new hoops to jump through are really turning us off cruising, fortunately our next cruise from U.K. to Northern European ports doesn’t require a Covid test and no VeriFLY.

Good luck everyone!

• 3 weeks later...

I received the same HAL email that strongly suggested I use Verifly app to speed up check-in. Hey, I'm all for expediting things but I have to say it's a total failure as an app. I have spent hours trying to get the darned thing to work. First the selfie function wasn't recognized (like 10 times). Finally got it to take a bad photo but at this point I'll take it! Then it only works for a *very few* airlines, none of which are mine. OK, I don't need the airline part anyway. So then I "Add Cruise", choose HAL icon and the spinning wheel starts...and lasts for about 40 minutes. Then it says "Booking Number Not Recognized". I give up. I'm bringing my paper stuff anyway and don't need a bad app for that.

Another one of those things that is supposed to speed things up and simplify. Well, I'm only mid-60s and have no desire to add more things to my phone and try to figure out how to do more things with my phone than I absolutely need to do. I have cruised twice since they have pushed verifly. Really did try and use it the first time. Had nothing but headaches and just decided to print everything out and take it with me. Second time, didn't even try. Just printed stuff out. On the second cruise the verifly line was just as long as the non-verifly line. Had all of my print-outs organized, handed to the agent, and was done in a couple of minutes. I don't think verifly could have checked any faster.

• Like 1