Discovery Princess Inaugural Sailing Buffet Lunch

MsSoCalCruiser

I just watched a YouTube video and the Wonder of the Seas had a really nice inaugural sailing buffet lunch with lobster and shrimp along with lots of other yummies.  Does Princess do anything special? I’m trying to decide if we should go to the MDR or the buffet. Anyone know?

3 hours ago, skynight said:

Unless you receive some announcement probably the only way to find out buffet selections would be to visit and look. If there are special selections in the buffet, might also be some in the DR. Just a guess.

I thought maybe someone would know if they had been on the inaugural sailings for some of the newer ships.  This is a first for us.

It depends on occupancy. Royal has been filling up their ships, whereas Princess still hasn't, but an inaugural might be different. On my two Majestic cruises, the buffet was slowly shrunk and not much used, so there wasn't much choice and things were usually sad and cold. On my Royal December cruise, the buffet was usually packed and so had a lot of variety. With Princess, I'd expect things like drink specials and piazza activities, like a champagne toast, with maybe a fancy cake in the buffet. 

• Like 1

We were on the inaugural for Enchanted and the sail away buffet was nothing special. In fact, it was kind of a mess. Cold food, pancakes so hard you could not cut them, little selection, hard to get a server’s attention. I complained to the buffet captain and he apologized. By the second day, everything was running smoothly, the food was good and servers attentive. The buffet captain even came to our table at dinner and apologized again and gave us a bottle of wine. You have to expect  the inaugural first day to have glitches, they will fix them quickly. We have nothing but praise for Enchanted’s crew! I am sure it will be the same on Discovery, they will try their best and get better every day. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, wineglass said:

We were on the inaugural for Enchanted and the sail away buffet was nothing special. In fact, it was kind of a mess. Cold food, pancakes so hard you could not cut them, little selection, hard to get a server’s attention. I complained to the buffet captain and he apologized. By the second day, everything was running smoothly, the food was good and servers attentive. The buffet captain even came to our table at dinner and apologized again and gave us a bottle of wine. You have to expect  the inaugural first day to have glitches, they will fix them quickly. We have nothing but praise for Enchanted’s crew! I am sure it will be the same on Discovery, they will try their best and get better every day. 

If you have a chance watch the YouTube videos on the Wonder of the Seas.  I couldn’t believe that they had lobster and shrimp on the Buffet. It looked really good. Princess is my favorite cruiseline so I was hoping they would top that. 😊

3 hours ago, zonacruiser25 said:

We sail on April 10 and 17.  Hope they have everything worked out and running smoothly after your cruise.   I hope the cruise goes well and you have a good time.  Hopefully we can read about it before we go aboard!  

I’m sure it will be wonderful! I know it will take a day or two for things to run smoothly so we are packing our patience.  Maybe I can blame my need for three suitcases on that, lol.  

I’m sure several people will be posting.  So excited!

I have read a number of past "Live from" threads from past inaugural Princess cruises and I do not remember any posts about any special inaugural cruise foods in the buffet or the dining rooms.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, caribill said:

I have read a number of past "Live from" threads from past inaugural Princess cruises and I do not remember any posts about any special inaugural cruise foods in the buffet or the dining rooms.

Thank you. I was hoping they would do something special like Royal Caribbean did.  

On 3/7/2022 at 2:43 AM, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Thank you. I was hoping they would do something special like Royal Caribbean did.  

Unfortunately for both of us I think we'll have a long wait for Princess to top RCI's food selections at their buffet. They have been consistently better over the years. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Unfortunately for both of us I think we'll have a long wait for Princess to top RCI's food selections at their buffet. They have been consistently better over the years. 

Their inaugural Buffet on the first sailing was quite impressive.

1 hour ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Their inaugural Buffet on the first sailing was quite impressive.

I watched that YouTube channel also & I imagine many of the people who at in the dining room were sorry they missed it. The lobster looked better than I've ever seen in a Princess DR unless you paid extra. 

I'll bet that advertisement alone brings many new customers to RCI. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

I watched that YouTube channel also & I imagine many of the people who at in the dining room were sorry they missed it. The lobster looked better than I've ever seen in a Princess DR unless you paid extra. 

I'll bet that advertisement alone brings many new customers to RCI. 

That advertisement worked for me, ha ha.  So, I thought for sure that Princess would top  that…. Right?  Isn’t Princess one step above Royal Caribbean?  

17 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Isn’t Princess one step above Royal Caribbean?  

Only in the minds of those on this Princess board. 😉

Kidding aside, the people on RCI are defiantly younger & it's more family oriented. More kids & louder which is not what we're looking for in a cruise. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/6/2022 at 9:50 PM, MsSoCalCruiser said:

If you have a chance watch the YouTube videos on the Wonder of the Seas.  I couldn’t believe that they had lobster and shrimp on the Buffet. It looked really good. Princess is my favorite cruiseline so I was hoping they would top that. 😊

The only way that Princess could possibly top the buffet that was depicted on YouTube would be if they had the same items and fed it to you. 🤣

• Haha 1