MSC Basics and Need to Know for newbies

McHaggis69

Apologies all but as our cruise date gets closer I'm getting a bit anxious about all the stuff I'm trying to remember we have booked, the stuff we can do and the stuff we need to know. I thought I might ask here as you all seem to be seasoned cruisers - for top tips, things I shouldn't forget, and any other info you personally know are useful.

We have cruised twice before but never with MSC. One cruise was out of Miami but even on that we had the schoolboy error of arriving at the terminal with no luggage tags prepared!

Our cruise is Seashore on 23rd April. We have an Aurea cabin, booked from here in the UK which includes tips. We have the premium extra drinks and internet package already booked. We have excursions booked at each destination. Maybe its just me, but I can't see any way on the MSC website to see exactly what we have booked? When I go to manage my booking, the site offers packages, excursions etc that we have already booked and paid for?!? I just wish there was some place I could see the whole deal and what we have already included.

I'd really be obliged by any tips starting from when we can arrive at the terminal, how do we get 'processed' before going on board, on-board tips, what I cannot forget, what are the best bits about Aurea etc etc - anything at all really!

4 hours ago, McHaggis69 said:

what are the best bits about Aurea

the spa and my choice dining. 

I just wish there was some place I could see the whole deal and what we have already included.

will all be on your eticket MSC will send as pdf

5 hours ago, McHaggis69 said:

When I go to manage my booking, the site offers packages, excursions etc that we have already booked and paid for?!? I just wish there was some place I could see the whole deal and what we have already included.

Are you going under "WITH BOOKING NUMBER" or "WITH YOUR MSC ACCOUNT"? You get much more information using your MSC account. 

When you do the on-line check-in within the 20-day window of sailing, it will generate a documents package email to you that includes everything included plus all your advance purchases.

There's really nothing you can do wrong so don't worry about it. Just follow the directions from personnel at the cruise terminal. And when your cruise docs give you a check-in time window, ignore it. Check-in when you get there at your convenience.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Are you going under "WITH BOOKING NUMBER" or "WITH YOUR MSC ACCOUNT"? You get much more information using your MSC account. 

Well there’s something new already! I had been using a booking reference.

As you suggest, using my MSC account I can see most of the details - I had no clue we had a 1 hour massage included free!

I can no see all the extras and excursions we’ve booked too.

Bit weird the set up of the MSC website but I guess I’m an idiot for not using the MSC account login.

Thanks so much.

Edited by McHaggis69
Update

34 minutes ago, McHaggis69 said:

.....I had no clue we had a 1 hour massage included free!....

Two things about that....get there early doors and get it booked....don't accept the inconvenient times they will offer, stand your ground. If necessary, ask to speak to the Spa Manager. They're not at all keen on actioning freebies.

Be sure to register your credit card as soon as you get onboard.  There are machines to link your room key card to your credit card.  Most cruise lines do this at check in, but MSC is different.  Also book all of your show times as soon as you get onboard.  Happy sailing!

40 minutes ago, relaxatsea said:

Be sure to register your credit card as soon as you get onboard.  There are machines to link your room key card to your credit card.  Most cruise lines do this at check in, but MSC is different.  Also book all of your show times as soon as you get onboard.  Happy sailing!

you can actually do your credit card now at check in...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, relaxatsea said:

After a cruise on Divina in Oct 2021 when the bill showed up (tips and misc. charges) there was an exchange rate charge even though we cruised from USA and it sailed from USA  because the bill processed from some oversea bank.  It had never happened before because we had cruised outside the USA many times the only the exchange rate charged when we purchase something off the ship but on actual on the ship charge.

Is there a way to avoid that?.  We understood there is card that does not charge the exchange service when use outside USA but we do not want the obtain another card just use it on MSC.

The documents thing can vary.  We had two sailings recently and on the first one, all documents were there in the 20 day timeframe.  The second one, no, and around day 8 we had TA ask MSC for them.  TA got them and emailed to us.

10 hours ago, ChattTenn said:

After a cruise on Divina in Oct 2021 when the bill showed up (tips and misc. charges) there was an exchange rate charge even though we cruised from USA and it sailed from USA  because the bill processed from some oversea bank.  It had never happened before because we had cruised outside the USA many times the only the exchange rate charged when we purchase something off the ship but on actual on the ship charge.

Is there a way to avoid that?.  We understood there is card that does not charge the exchange service when use outside USA but we do not want the obtain another card just use it on MSC.

I think the only way to avoid that is to use a card with no foreign transaction fee, or do a cash account.  You might check with your card issuer and see if they offer one with no foreign transaction fees.  Card companies/banks offer many different kinds of cards.  EM

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

I think the only way to avoid that is to use a card with no foreign transaction fee, or do a cash account.  You might check with your card issuer and see if they offer one with no foreign transaction fees.  Card companies/banks offer many different kinds of cards.  EM

Thank you.  Will keep that in mind for a future cruise with MSC.

On 3/6/2022 at 6:28 PM, mscdivina2016 said:

1.Expect them to take away your room if you have one

2.Expect them to screw up your pricing

3. Expect to required to pay 30% more after you are paid in full

4.Expect to call customer service and be hung up on

5.Expect to be told a supervisor will contact you in in 48-72 days, not hours.

6.Expect any perks you have to be screwed up

7.Expect the total worse and be surprised if it does not happen

All of the above is from personal experience!!!

Hello and we are all (except) for a few disgruntled folks wish you a happy cruise and not to worry as you will have a fun time. Just don't forget to bring your happy face and you'll have a great time. Be Safe!  

Edited by juancarlosgarciasanchez
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, McHaggis69 said:

thanks all - learned a few things, so brilliant!

I get that when it goes wrong it can go wrong spectacularly, but so far MSC have been pretty good on the exchanges I've had with them.

We've sailed with MSC 5 times in the last 3 years, albeit 4 of those were Yacht Club and the other 1 Aurea. We are booked again April and November this year.

It's not perfect, nothing is, but we have never had an issue of any significance.....although we always take our most happy faces on vacation! 😉

Enjoy much!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ChattTenn said:

Thank you.  Will keep that in mind for a future cruise with MSC.

Actually if you travel a lot a MasterCard without foreign transaction fee is an absolute must that will save you a small fortune over the years. But not easy to get at least in some countries. 

11 minutes ago, perakcruiser said:

Actually if you travel a lot a MasterCard without foreign transaction fee is an absolute must that will save you a small fortune over the years. But not easy to get at least in some countries. 

We had been cruised outside USA with other lines (NCL, Princess) not a single time got charged with exchange rate service for the onboard expenses and for the ship sailing from USA while the deposit did not have that charge just try to figure out. It was not much to break the bank just different with MSC.

We are newbie with MSC and will give them another try later on this year and after that just do not know. 

41 minutes ago, ChattTenn said:

We had been cruised outside USA with other lines (NCL, Princess) not a single time got charged with exchange rate service for the onboard expenses and for the ship sailing from USA while the deposit did not have that charge just try to figure out. It was not much to break the bank just different with MSC.

Actually I was talking about travel in general, not just cruises. Only MasterCard is using the "real" exchange rate, all others using their own fantasy exchange rates.

Edited by perakcruiser

1 hour ago, perakcruiser said:

Actually I was talking about travel in general, not just cruises. Only MasterCard is using the "real" exchange rate, all others using their own fantasy exchange rates.

Citi Visa Costco no Foreign Transaction Fees! Plus 3% Rewards on Travel. Used it for years on all Cruise Lines.

Used twice to dispute MSC deposit refunds during C19. Received my refunds very quickly back on my card. 

Edited by Oxo

45 minutes ago, cheeseheads4ever said:

Plus you are on edge the whole time wondering what can they screw up next.

I can agree on this as I have also worried about things going wrong. However,...

46 minutes ago, cheeseheads4ever said:

But you will find the MSC loyalists as with any brand that have never had a problem.

...I wouldn't call myself a loyalist to any cruise line. I go with what works for me and if I find something that works better, I go with that. So far (fingers crossed), any issue that I have had with MSC has been solved correctly. I'm particular about my stateroom choice and I always get it. I know what I owe to the penny and MSC doesn't owe me anything (deposits, FCC, etc).

I get that when it goes wrong it can go wrong spectacularly, but so far MSC have been pretty good on the exchanges I've had with them.

I understand that others have run into issues with MSC and I believe that the complaints are valid. I hope that everyone gets what is owed to them. On my first MSC cruise, there were minor issues with the stateroom. As it was a new ship, some problems are to be expected. I posted photos in my review and others who later stayed in the same stateroom reported that the issues were fixed. We know that MSC's website will never be perfect...or even close. The other issues such as unwanted stateroom changes, lost deposits, missing FCCs, ship/itinerary changes, etc. can be fixed. MSC has potential (and cash flow) to be great both on and off of the ship but they need to get organized.

We've never had any problems while cruising with MSC, neither beforehand nor onboard.  Excellent cruises.  We've never needed to call for anything.  Booking made, all satisfactory.  Go on cruise, all fine. I am not a cheerleader, just stating that people have excellent experiences as well as some troublesome ones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/7/2022 at 2:06 AM, alyssamma said:

you can actually do your credit card now at check in...

well, it says you can... but it errored on my platinum amex with an error message I cannot find on the internet except one link to cruisecritic which doesn't actually contain the message but must have at some point. My visa seemed to work,  but it never shows if it saved or not, and if you go back into checkin, it shows up as empty.  And they can't do it over the phone, either. 

This checkin process is one of the worst, most frustrating web forms I've seen in a while, and I do this stuff for a living so I've been assigned a lot of really bad ones to fix. Like... how do you not mention that a couple of the lines of the form are referring to emergency contacts? How the heck is anyone supposed to know that? That's not even code, that's just a label that any common sense would have put in there.

Every time I go into the checkin form it wipes out some of the data I put in previously. I had to call support to get my gender set properly and to have our voyager's club numbers associated with us... and then when we tried to put the cards in, it wiped those out again, as well as some other fields of the passenger data. And now we can't print out our boarding information anymore. I keep getting mail from MSC saying that things have changed with our booking when neither of us have done anything to it... our diamond and gold statuses keep disappearing and reappearing. It's just been a very, very frustrating experience for something that should be absolutely seamless.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, perakcruiser said:

a MasterCard without foreign transaction fee

Mastercard has nothing to do with it. Discover cards have no foreign transaction fee for any offerings. Most cards that have annual fees and any card intended for travel (eg, cards associated with hotels or airlines or cruise companies, or many premium cards) won't have foreign transaction fees, either.

(Site reviewing assorted cards intended for travel for reference)

The most cost effective overall option for travelers is probably the Chase Sapphire Preferred. It's $95/year and has almost all the same benefits as the $550/year sapphire Reserve, which includes the best built-in travel insurance available in a card, including the Amex Platinum. The $95 pays for itself fast. The chase points can be transferred to lots of airline/hotel miles/points. I have a platinum card and I still got this one.

Of course, if you really like MSC, the Amex Hilton Aspire card gives you Hilton Diamond status which MSC will match to Diamond, and it also has no transaction fees.:)