The Daily for Sunday 03/06/2022

richwmn

I loved my old dentist. The new one is ok, but he's expanded the practice so much that I don't know any of the staff anymore. Progress?

My two older sisters were given non-family first names, but family/friends names for their middle names. By the time I rolled around, my mother decided to given me completely "unrelated" names. She says, because I was the youngest of three girls, she named me after the youngest girl in Longfellow's poem "The Children's Hour" -- "Edith with golden hair." Luckily I was blond when I was young, and it stayed that way (with help from Clairol) ntil covid. Now it's gray.

My son is named after his two grandfathers - their middle names.

The processional cross at church this morning was decorated in honor of Ukraine:

sunflowers.thumb.jpg.f618616418835f0ccd1179340c32a5e1.jpg

Edited by NextOne
  • Like 24

Reading all the stories about dentists brought back unpleasant memories. When I was growing up, I guiess dental science was nowhere near it is today. There was no floride, which is a major thing. and fillings were done using materials that just didn't last. But for the last 25 years or so I've had great expeniences with dentists and really appreciate them.

Chicken pot pies - Humm. I have tow very different reactions. There are the mass market varieties like Swanson that are basically garbage and then there are varieties that are prepared by good chefs at restaurants that are reaaly good. The best I ever had one that you could buy at a store was from Costco.  They had one that was a 12 inche diameter pie that would feed 8-10 people. It was in their fresh section. You had to breing it home and put it in the over to cook it. It was really good and loaded with chicken and veggies. Unfortunately, at least in my area, it is no longer available.

I found it interesting to read about the way folks are named. I was named after my father who, in turn, was named after his father. So I was a Third. I kow that some use designations like that to make them feel important. I always stayed away from that. I thought it was pretentious. I think the only person who knows that I am a "third" is my sister - LOL. I did not name my son after me, so that thing has ended.

• Like 19

Aaarrrggghhh! I have gotten into a pointless ethics debate on another thread and must stop!

Please, could my Dailyite family close your eyes for moment and chant ‘Stick to the Daily, Laura, stick to the Daily’. I need help to stay in a safe space and end this madness. TIA.

• Like 19
  • Haha 9

9 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Aaarrrggghhh! I have gotten into a pointless ethics debate on another thread and must stop!

Please, could my Dailyite family close your eyes for moment and chant ‘Stick to the Daily, Laura, stick to the Daily’. I need help to stay in a safe space and end this madness. TIA.

Laura, you're right and the unscrupulous person is wrong.  People no doubt do what he does and get away with it, but it's not morally right.  SMH.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

The other thread relates to today's quote: I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.--Friedrich Nietzsche

People that believe they can rewrite the intent of rules just to game the system are deceiving themselves.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon,  I started reading before we left for church, and only got back to the Daily News just now. Good to hear from you all, and I, too, think Vanessa does wonderful things listing all the balloons and responses!  I just want to say - "Me, too!"

The chef at our senior centre makes really good chicken pot pies, so when they go on sale in the café, there is a line-up.  Nice to have a few in the freezer for times I don't feel like cooking.  I think tonight we will be having left-over curry from last night.  Saves having to think...

I think I might try to make a dentist appointment for next week.  I have been putting off having my Prolia shot until I knew for sure that it wasn't that that was affecting my hip, but the CT scan shows arthritis, so I must just shut up and learn to live with it - and get my shot, which is now overdue.  Another possible side effect of Prolia is osteonecrosis of the jaw, and I don't think I have been to a dentist for about 9 years.  I have a feeling I need to get checked, and now would be a good time. And then book my shot.  

Prayers for Ukraine, and all here.

• Like 22

Love the quote!  Happy Sunday and thanks all! Love a good Viognier,  might have to try todays!  Our great niece gave birth to a baby boy yesterday!  Nice to have good news and our neighbour with the stroke is home and seeming to be doing ok!  Our DS discovered a parrot,  yes a parrot on a tree and called wildlife in how to protect it from the bald eagles.   While he was attempting that it’s owners came along, it had escaped for two hours and were so grateful. Not often you see a parrot in the Canadian wilds! 
Much more typical,  feeling like spring I think the owls are nesting!  

BB09470F-ADC1-4A23-8741-6CA24E37C22B.jpeg

• Like 25

7 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Well maybe a blessing in disguise.  We are now in the ER.  DH has intense pain and we decided we cannot wait any longer.

In waiting room waiting for his turn.

Terri

Prayers winging their way, Terri. For both of you!

• Like 15

49 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

There are always going to be argumentative people. At some point you just have to be the better person and stop. And just remember that turning the other cheek is the best way. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Well maybe a blessing in disguise.  We are now in the ER.  DH has intense pain and we decided we cannot wait any longer.

Terri

How frightening for you both!  I hope he can stand the pain while they check him out and give you two a diagnosis.  Prayers for you two.🙏

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Terri

Hope you get the help needed! 

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 14

43 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Good afternoon,  I started reading before we left for church, and only got back to the Daily News just now. Good to hear from you all, and I, too, think Vanessa does wonderful things listing all the balloons and responses!  I just want to say - "Me, too!"

The chef at our senior centre makes really good chicken pot pies, so when they go on sale in the café, there is a line-up.  Nice to have a few in the freezer for times I don't feel like cooking.  I think tonight we will be having left-over curry from last night.  Saves having to think...

I think I might try to make a dentist appointment for next week.  I have been putting off having my Prolia shot until I knew for sure that it wasn't that that was affecting my hip, but the CT scan shows arthritis, so I must just shut up and learn to live with it - and get my shot, which is now overdue.  Another possible side effect of Prolia is osteonecrosis of the jaw, and I don't think I have been to a dentist for about 9 years.  I have a feeling I need to get checked, and now would be a good time. And then book my shot.  

Prayers for Ukraine, and all here.

Hope your dental visit goes ok!  I had to stop Fosamax because of a stress femoral fracture and my endocrinologist wants me to go on prolia,  so many side effects it’s hard to know what it’s best! 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bennybear said:

Hope your dental visit goes ok!  I had to stop Fosamax because of a stress femoral fracture and my endocrinologist wants me to go on prolia,  so many side effects it’s hard to know what it’s best! 

I just got started on fosamax. Other than a lot more heartburn, no other issues … yet …. How long did you take it before the fracture happened?

Getting old is not for the faint of heart… lol

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

I just read that thread and I agree with you.  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Navybikermom said:

I just got started on fosamax. Other than a lot more heartburn, no other issues … yet …. How long did you take it before the fracture happened?

Getting old is not for the faint of heart… lol

Exactly!  I was on it for 5 years ten years ago.  Then because of some cancer meds I lost a lot of density so was put on them, it happened two and half years in.  I haven’t had good luck with side effects.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Terri

Praying for you and DH that the medical team can get the pain under control and find the source.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Stick to the Daily, Laura!   Just disengage when they get like that.

41 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Terri

I'm glad he's going to be seen and perhaps treated sooner than if  you waited, but I am so sorry that he is in such pain.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Terri

I am sorry he is in so much pain. Sending prayers your way.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Terri

Ugh!  Not the best way to get treated but at least he will get something.

Roy

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1