Bring kids’ friends, but tbd ‘who’ at time of booking - strategies?

fidldidi

We’re thinking of booking a cruise for later in the year and offering our (young 20s) kids to bring friends or bf/gf. The challenge is that l don't know that they know for sure yet who they'd invite. We'd plan to put each kid in their own room with their respective friend. What's the best way to do this, if there is one? If we guess now on the guest and it's not right ( I’m thinking mostly of potential break-ups (lol)) it seems most cruiselines will penalize later to change it. RCI seems most flexible with this? What about booking each room now with just my one kid, and add the friend  later?  I know we'd be at mercy of going rate and potential overall capacity limits. Would we also get hit with single occupancy fee initially? Does that get adjusted when 2nd guest added?  Any strategies for this?  I’m okay with a small fee to change guest later if that happened, but trying to not get nailed. 

5 hours ago, sanger727 said:

I think it depends on what cruise line you want to book. Do you know yet?

The OP indicates they are considering RCCL.  It seems like the only option would be to book each child as a solo in their own stateroom now at the prevailing rates and than add the second guest ASAP when determined.  They would then be charged the prevailing rate for double occupancy for both when adding the second guest. 

You can also change this individual later as long as the original child remains on the booking, again at the prevailing rate.  If the second guest drops out or is a no show at sailing, the rate would revert to a solo rate with the second passenger's fees and taxes refunded.  There are no separate fees for adding or changing the second guest.

To assure greatest flexibility and to mitigate potential penalties I would suggest each booking be made at a refundable deposit rate.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

7 hours ago, sanger727 said:

I think it depends on what cruise line you want to book. Do you know yet?

Initially I was looking at HAL or Carnival based on itinerary, but also considering RC if they have better policies related to this. Or others anyone might recommend based on this. 

I think what you should do is contact those lines in question and ask the questions you have of them.  As different lines may have different policies that would be the only way to be sure.  Or if you are booking though a TA,  have them do this for you. 

I was responding primarily with regards to RCCL as you mentioned them and we have had direct experience a number of years ago with a similar situation.   IMO they would be a good line to consider for this.  I would also list HAL as the last choice based on their demographics.  

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Several times I booked cabins for two on Carnival.  When I did it online using the Early Saver rate, it never asked for the name of the second guest, just listed them as xxxx TBA, with xxxx being my last name..  my travel companion was my sister, and we haven’t shared a last name in 50 years.  In correcting the name, I did it online in two steps.  I went in to modify the name, first replacing TBA with her first name and saving the change.  Then I went back in to modify again, this time changing the last name, then save.  No problem no charge.  EM

15 hours ago, fidldidi said:

We’re thinking of booking a cruise for later in the year and offering our (young 20s) kids to bring friends or bf/gf. The challenge is that l don't know that they know for sure yet who they'd invite

Others have made good suggestions for you.  But, in my opinion, your situation is a good reason to use an experienced travel agent.  Less stress for you.