Canaletto question

grest

Ummm, at risk of attracting the derision of the dress code absolutists, probably not?  You'd likely feel / look a bit out of place  - table cloths and a maître d'hôtel stand is the venue's tone.    Would you be turned away, also probably not -- unless the dress of the day was gala?   I'm all for being relaxed / casual, but some things do call for pants.  🙂.     Scott.   

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Mary229 said:

Good question.  I think MDR rules likely apply.  I do not think shorts are allowed at dinner

You are out of date.  On a recent cruise (Enchantment) there were no rules, no enforcement of no rules, etc.  You could have worn lingerie to the MDR and I doubt if anyone would have cared.  The only time we ever saw any dress code enforcement was on one of the formal nights when we watched a man get turned away because he was wearing gym shorts.

Hank

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

You could have worn lingerie to the MDR and I doubt if anyone would have cared. 

Judging by the average age/appearance of the last HAL cruise I was on, I prefer to block this visual from my mind, thank you. 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

11 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

You are out of date.  On a recent cruise (Enchantment) there were no rules, no enforcement of no rules, etc.  You could have worn lingerie to the MDR and I doubt if anyone would have cared.  The only time we ever saw any dress code enforcement was on one of the formal nights when we watched a man get turned away because he was wearing gym shorts.

Hank

I personally would not normally wear shorts at dinner.. however:

Hank, on the Rotterdam in Dec/Jan my husband's slacks did not come back from pressing. He dressed in a nice pair of bermuda shorts and we were turned away from MDR. We went to Lido to eat and passed Canaletto. We told them what happened and the maitre d seated us in a perfect spot by the window. Ya never know, right? 

• Like 4

I think most of us would agree that there is no one onboard a HAL ship responsible for enforcement. That being said I believe wearing shorts any where besides the Lido would be in poor taste not to mention cold as the dining areas are normally refrigerated.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

Enchantment? A HAL ship?

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Enchantment? A HAL ship?

No, of course not.  Actually we were talking about the Enchanted Princess which is now part of the HAL Group of CCL.  Does it mean anything that Princess and HAL are now in the same "Group" with a single CEO (who comes from the Princess side).  Darned if I know but perhaps somebody realized that HAL could use some new blood at the top.  For several years we have thought that HAL was like a ship without a rudder (it had no idea where it was going) and perhaps Jan Swartz can kick HAL up a few notches.   One thing we have noticed is that Seabourn seems to have an influx of HAL senior Officers.  When we recently cruised on the SB Odyssey, both the Captain and Staff Captain had been senior officers on HAL until they recently were reassigned to SB. 

Hank

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

I don’t believe the Enchantment is a HAL ship. While all dress codes are more relaxed now there are still rules especially for dinner. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I agree with others that shorts probably aren't the most appropriate. However, it's a fair question given that Canaletto is part of the lido where I assume shorts are okay for dinner.

We've eaten at Canaletto on every HAL cruise, but honestly can't say that I noticed what others were wearing on any of the times that I dined there.

• Like 1

On the NA last October Panama Canal, 21day Seattle to Fll, I was quietly told by the Maitre"D at Canaletto that shorts, and they were very nice shorts, were not acceptable. I naturally, went back to our cabin and changed into long pants. As we visited Cananetto many times during that cruise. we always had a laugh when I showed in in long pants, I always made a point to show off my long pants, got alot of mileage with the staff, including great tables and special deserts!

Doug

• Like 7

4 hours ago, jkrislc said:

I agree with others that shorts probably aren't the most appropriate. However, it's a fair question given that Canaletto is part of the lido where I assume shorts are okay for dinner.

We've eaten at Canaletto on every HAL cruise, but honestly can't say that I noticed what others were wearing on any of the times that I dined there.

Yes, the reason I asked is indeed because of its location on the Lido deck.   Thanks.

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

You are out of date.  On a recent cruise (Enchantment) there were no rules, no enforcement of no rules, etc. .

I think it largely depends on the staff for that particular ship and dining room.  I've seen far worse than gym shorts on formal night on Princess ships, but people are usually more appropriately dressed on HAL. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I know this is older thread, but stumbled on it during an internet search for the very question - is casual acceptable in the Canaletto (located on Lido) on dressy nights on the Eurodam and seems there still is no definitive answer to be found.

We're currently on the Eurodam to Alaska and will be dining in the Canaletto for the first time tonight. As we decided to pack lighter and forgo dining rooms on dressy nights,  DH only has came cargo pants and a button down collared ss shirt to wear - will he be comfortable in the Canaletto tonight?

I'll update after dinner...

8 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

I know this is older thread, but stumbled on it during an internet search for the very question - is casual acceptable in the Canaletto (located on Lido) on dressy nights on the Eurodam and seems there still is no definitive answer to be found.

We're currently on the Eurodam to Alaska and will be dining in the Canaletto for the first time tonight. As we decided to pack lighter and forgo dining rooms on dressy nights,  DH only has came cargo pants and a button down collared ss shirt to wear - will he be comfortable in the Canaletto tonight?

I'll update after dinner...

As long as he has long pants it’s no problem whatsoever.  I’m not even sure if they enforce the no shorts anymore.

7 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

As long as he has long pants it’s no problem whatsoever.  I’m not even sure if they enforce the no shorts anymore.

Thanks for replying - he didn't bring any shorts so for sure will be in pants 🥸

I will likely forgo the dress and wear pants as well so if either of us is underdressed, we're both underdressed. 

1 minute ago, Haljo1935 said:

Thanks for replying - he didn't bring any shorts so for sure will be in pants 🥸

I will likely forgo the dress and wear pants as well so if either of us is underdressed, we're both underdressed. 

You’ll be absolutely fine.  I used to bring a long dress.  After that, it was a chiffon “blazer”.  I still bring something a little dressy but not like I have.  I’m willing to bet people won’t be that dressy in there.  Enjoy your meal.  I really like Canaletto a lot.

• Like 1

Update - although everyone but us, including an approx 10yo boy, were dressed in suites/ties, satin dresses (not gowns) or basically "After 5" there was no hesitation from the Maitre'D to let us in.

And sure note, the food was excellent!!