Sky Princess denied entry to St. Thomas March 8, 2022

We_like_to_cruise

Well, it looks like COVID is still affecting vacation plans.

A short while ago, while we were enjoying breakfast in the Estrella dining room, the captain announced our ship has been denied entry to St. Thomas.  We were about an hour out from docking. 

He advised us there have been positive COVID cases both among the passengers and the crew.  He said all were asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic.  Actual numbers not divulged.  However, that number was enough for us to be refused entry to the port.

The good news is that we are now headed directly to St. Maarten and expect to be there by 3 pm making this now an overnight port. 

The cruise has been great so far and we have enjoyed getting back after 2 1/2 years. 

As far as mask-wearing, since it is now optional, I would guess that at this point approximately 10 percent of the passengers are doing so.  Every single staff member wears a mask.

I will check back later if you have any specific questions.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 8

Many thanks for posting this update. 

I did wonder what had been happening on Sky as it has been reported as “orange” and under observation on the CDC status dashboard for at least the last 2 weeks.

Glad you have still had a good holiday.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, We_like_to_cruise said:

He advised us there have been positive COVID cases both among the passengers and the crew.  He said all were asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic.

Did they test all the passengers once the cruise was under way?  The Princess website states that certain cruises are subject to en-route testing, but it sounds like that is the exception and not the rule.  I ask because if the people who are Covid+ are asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic, why would they think to self-administer a test to themselves? 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Did they test all the passengers once the cruise was under way?  The Princess website states that certain cruises are subject to en-route testing, but it sounds like that is the exception and not the rule.  I ask because if the people who are Covid+ are asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic, why would they think to self-administer a test to themselves? 

Good question. I wonder if the ones who are asymptomatic are related to those with symptoms. 

6 minutes ago, hllwdcruiser said:

Good question. I wonder if the ones who are asymptomatic are related to those with symptoms. 

That would be my guess, unless the majority of those who are Covid positive are crew.

1 hour ago, JimmyVWine said:

No, we all only had the pre-boarding (within 2 days) testing.  No testing onboard that I am aware of.

BTW, they announced the first day that the ship was carrying 2200 pax, so about 2/3 full.  It does not really seem "empty" but actually more like what we have experienced in previous cruises. 

No problem getting seats in the Princess Theater.  But Crown Grill sold out quickly and we missed it. 

Two shows nightly.  Last night's RockOpera production show was wonderful !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hllwdcruiser said:

I would bet they probably are.  Over New Years we had 8 cases of COVID...1 person with slight symptoms (more like a cold for a few days) and the other 7 had no symptoms. Glad we weren't planning on a cruise then.  No one would have even known they had it except for testing as a courtesy because we had others visiting.  They still visited, so there's that!! 

3 hours ago, We_like_to_cruise said:

Well, it looks like COVID is still affecting vacation plans.

A short while ago, while we were enjoying breakfast in the Estrella dining room, the captain announced our ship has been denied entry to St. Thomas.  We were about an hour out from docking. 

He advised us there have been positive COVID cases both among the passengers and the crew.  He said all were asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic.  Actual numbers not divulged.  However, that number was enough for us to be refused entry to the port.

The good news is that we are now headed directly to St. Maarten and expect to be there by 3 pm making this now an overnight port. 

The cruise has been great so far and we have enjoyed getting back after 2 1/2 years. 

As far as mask-wearing, since it is now optional, I would guess that at this point approximately 10 percent of the passengers are doing so.  Every single staff member wears a mask.

I will check back later if you have any specific questions.

That’s what I call making lemonade out of lemons. I think an overnight in St Martin trumps a day in St Thomas any day. Enjoy!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, hllwdcruiser said:

That’s what I call making lemonade out of lemons. I think an overnight in St Martin trumps a day in St Thomas any day. Enjoy!

Except one of my favorite restaurants in the Caribbean Is right next to the pier. Absolutely the best jalapeño Mac and cheese ever

Edited by memoak
  • Thanks 1

I agree - that is a good change.  Enjoy 

We were just in St Maarten Feb 20.  Had not been there since they began the boardwalk project along the ocean front.  Really a nice improvement.  Unfortunately we were there on a Sunday so all the shops in town were closed except a few small souvenier vendors.

Even shops at port were mostly all closed.  But we had a nice 20 min. walk from the dock to the town, took a few photos and back to ship.

• Thanks 1

I don't know where else to post this, but....I was looking for the Grand Princess CDC Status Chart.  Of course, I couldn't find it on the CDC webpage.  

https://www.cruzely.com/cruise-ship-covid-status-tracker-daily-update-chart-news-and-possible-cases/

Congratulations Grand Princess...Green 3/1 to 3/4 (latest).

• Like 1

Just got the all clear to disembark in St. Maarten.  Guests must be onboard by 3  am (!)

Tomorrow can disembark starting at 6 am and all on board by 5:30 pm.

St. Maarten requires masks indoors as well as outdoors in all public spaces according to the announcement we just heard from the cruise staff.

Update - an "Important Announcement" just advised that we need to be onboard by midnight tonight and can disembark tomorrow at 5 am.  😃

Edited by We_like_to_cruise
correction
  • Like 1