Castles along the Rhine

tdl60

We are taking the Rhine Getaway cruise with Viking departing Amsterdam April 5 and arriving in Basel April 12, 2022.  We are going to take the included shore excursions in each stop.  It appears that none of the included excursions include a visit to a castle.  Does anyone know if it is possible to visit castles on our own when we stop at each city? If so, which ones can we visit?

There are 2 extra tours you can take through this trip that include castles.  One is the Marksburg Castle on day 4, the other is Heidelberg Castle the next day.  There will be an 1-1.5 hr cruise past the castles on the middle Rhine as well.

Depending on when you arrive in Amsterdam, you can possibly find time to see Muiderslot Castle.

We toured with Avalon, and skipped the Heidelberg Castle tour for a tour of the town, which was really nice to see.

When we did the Rhine Getaway in Oct 2019 both Marksburg and Heidelberg castles were included!  Big difference----Marksburg is the only castle unchanged since the 1400's, while Heidelberg is often described as "romantic ruins", and the view of the city from up there is fabulous.  

• Like 2

Marksburg Castle used to be the included tour but it was pointed out here recently that it has become optional, one that you have to pay extra for. No idea why, it seems a pity. Marksburg castle is definitely worth seeing. Heidelberg is also a favourite with cruisers, it being on the Neckar it necessitates a coach ride and is a full day's excursion to make the most of your time there.

If Heidelberg seems too far you could see if the Brömserburg in Rüdesheim is an option, it would be right in town, but I know very little about it. On the opposite bank of the Rhine at Rüdesheim is the town Bingen. You cross by ferry and can walk up to Burg Klopp. I have never been but the view is supposed to be great and it has a restaurant. Check Bingen website for details and talk to your cruise director on the ship: https://www.bingen.de/en/tourism/discover-bingen/klopp-castle

Marksburg Castle is the original castle whereas Klopp Castle is partly reconstructed, as are many others.

Schloss Stolzenfels is such an edifice, an interpretation of Medieval done in the 19th century. Opposite that one is Lahneck castle. I have written about it here: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2771435-rhine-water-levels-2021-and-similar-topics/page/11/

Go back two pages to see part 1 and 2 of my day trip. Lahneck is so close to Koblenz that a taxi ride should not be too expensive. You can take a train but will loose quite a bit of time in the process.

Cannot think of any others that may be close to where you will dock.

Whatever you decide, have a great cruise.

notamermaid

• Like 1

I recommend Marksburg Castle unless you have significant mobility issues.  Since it is an original castle (not a restoration with "improvements" for ease-of-use), you will find narrow, uneven stairwells and very uneven walking surfaces.  But the castle is worth all of this if you can manage.  Talk to your tour director before hand if you think it might be too much of a challenge. 

• Like 1

Yes, Marksburg Castle is a "knee and ankle challenge". Stolzenfels and Lahneck are easier to do, although both on a hill. There you just need the stamina for a short hill climb on paved roads or at least more or less even ground.

notamermaid

We would like to take the ship shore excursion to Marksburg castle but it is sold out.  Do you know if we could go there on our own?  If so, how would we do that and is it very far from where our ship docks?

33 minutes ago, tdl60 said:

We would like to take the ship shore excursion to Marksburg castle but it is sold out.  Do you know if we could go there on our own?  If so, how would we do that and is it very far from where our ship docks?

When Marksburg was an included excursion we docked at the base of the castle.  Now I believe this stop has been replaced with Koblenz(?)  If so, you're 15 km away by road, according to Google Maps.

Sailing on Uniworld but we have Marksburg castle included I believe, it’s scheduled for when we dock in Koblenz AM/Boppard PM.  Maybe they take us by land from Marksburg to Boppard since we’ll already be halfway there!

Standard docking for Marksburg is right at the foot of the hill, the town is called Braubach. A road train takes you up the hill, i.e. it is a shuttle service. You can hike but that is strenuous and for time saving I would consider a taxi up the hill as well. From Koblenz you can arrange transport but bear in mind that seeing that Viking states that the tour is sold out, the castle may be sold out. By that I mean access to the castle is limited in numbers and you need to be part of a group. You would probably need to arrange with the castle itself your entry time. Perhaps you could join a German language group, not perfect but at least you get into the castle.

This is how it could work: https://www.marksburg.de/en/visitor-information/#/

notamermaid