Dancing on new ships is almost impossible

Kopy

Dancing is the number 1 important item for wife and I, so basically stay away from all the new ships of every line.

When people say there's plenty of dancing in the Piazza and everyone is happy, they don't realize to know if the statement is true you have to count the " dance shoes"

The serious dancers bring dance shoes and unless and unless a theme cruise, usually less thjan 10 couples are serious dancers

On Princess....... no fusion lounge,  no ticket

My understanding is all fusion lounges offer prerecorded ballroom about 5 PM for a few hours most nights.

We love it..... Many people eat at that time

PS-  I know the tone may be snobbish, but it is what we enjoy

(This is long, so apologies in advance and feel free to skip to the next post.)

It's rare to find a discussion about dancing on CC boards anymore.  So thank you, Kopy, for starting this one. Dancing to live music is the #1 reason that we cruise.  I've had to work really hard to find updated information about music and dancing on the different cruise lines and ships.  So I'd like to chime in with our (limited) experience, and hopefully other like-minded cruisers would find it useful in their trip planning. 

For better or worse, we are neither Elite nor elite.  We've been on 5 Princess ships, ranging from the old Grand to the newer Majestic.  We've also sailed on Celebrity a few years back, and HAL right before the pandemic.  We do ballroom dancing as a fun hobby, and would find ways to dance ballroom steps to all sorts of contemporary music (including hip hop) that most people don't consider to be ballroom style.  So we're not ballroom purists by any means.

If one is looking to boogie to pop music and just wiggle in place, then the piazza and Vista/Explorer Lounge on all the Princess ships will be more than satisfactory.  On recent cruises, there was consistently a pop band playing every night in either one of those places (both Grand and Royal Class ships).  If one wants to do ballroom dances that take up some floor space (like a waltz or tango), then none of the current ships by Princess, HAL, or Celebrity will truly accommodate.  We've made do in the Explorer/Vista,  but that only works if only one or two other couples are sharing the floor with us.  Usually a slow ballad is playing and few people want to get up for that.  The Nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam used to have afternoon tea dance with the house band in the Oceanview Bar, which had a nice dance floor.  But since their latest refurbishment, they have done away with dancing there.  HAL now expects everyone to dance in BB King Lounge or the new Rock n Roll venue, and many ballroom dancers don't consider the music conducive to their style.  In fact, we've been told that the Queen's Room on Cunard ships is the only legit ballroom dance floor remaining at sea.  We'll find out for ourselves when we sample the QE this June.

The Wheelhouse bar on grand class ships has a small dance floor that would accommodate 3-4 couples doing something like a swing, rumba, or cha cha, but not enough room for anything that requires traveling around the dance floor. Ironically that is where Princess has chosen to stage bands that actually play ballroom style music.  We managed a foxtrot and waltz a few times when we were the only ones dancing.  Club Fusion has a nice spacious dance floor, but on most recent cruises since restart it's only used for line dancing and ballroom lessons.  Pre-dinner time, there would be pre-recorded ballroom music in there for 2-3 hours, but few people go.  Most people, including us, prefer a live band.  I've asked why they won't have a live band in that space, and the response during the pandemic is that they don't want to encourage a large gathering.  That is a curious line because they have other activities there like line dancing and hula class that draw huge crowds.

There is no Wheelhouse on royal class ships, but there is a little space (carpet/marble, not wood floor) bordering the passage way at the Crown Grill Bar.  When we were on the Royal Princess Feb 2019, a fabulous trio played there a few nights, and we had a great time dancing to them while trying to not be in the way of passers-by.  There was also a violin duo who would play a tango on request in the piazza.  Princess Live on royal class ships has a really nice wood floor that would be great for dancing, but having music there is not in the cards as far as I know, only game shows.

In summary, cruise lines are fast abandoning the traditional ballroom dancing crowd to attract younger people and to create more seating for revenue-generating alcohol sales.  This is especially true of HAL and Celebrity.  Princess still has a very good mix of music bands, and with some flexibility to adapt, one can find a venue to dance every night. Usually there would be a pop/party band, an alternative band who will play some ballroom style music,  a guitarist or violinist, or duo who will play ballroom style songs on request, and the house band who plays mostly undanceable jazz (We've not experienced the jazz club on the newer Sky/Discovery/Enchanted ships).  There would also be a pianist or two, but we have rarely been able to dance to the music that they play.  On a cruise to Mexico in Nov 2021 we had a mariachi band, to whom we were able to dance rumba, bolero, waltz, and Viennese waltz when they played in the piazza.

I'll stop now, since I'm out of words; and you're likely out of patience.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, voljeep said:

Do 'real dancers' need a specific type of floor to dance on ??  or is it just the size and music provided?

Yes.  The floor matters.  I have no idea what “real dancers” are, but those who enjoy ballroom and do enough of it have special dance shoes with suede soles (helps with movement).  Floors that are too sticky stop the motion which stresses leg joints and feet.  Floors that are too slick are fall hazards.   And floors that are really hard (concrete, marble, tile, etc) create leg stress.  The best floors are sprung wood but, as far as I know, the only ships that have good wooden floors are Cunard’s (and they are a joy to dance on).  But Princess has more ships than Cunard which means they have more choices of itineraries.  It’s sad that there isn’t a line that competes with Cunard to attract more who enjoy dancing….those days seem to be gone.

• Like 1

If you think Princess isn't that great for Ballroom/Latin dancing then you need to stay clear of Celebrity (unless to sail on Edge class ships).

We danced most nights in the Piazza aboard Royal and had a great time. We are expecting the same when on Regal this July. We missed the Wheelhouse bar dance floor found on Grand class ships, but that didn't stop us dancing along the walk way close to the band situated on the perimeter of Royal's Wheelhouse bar.  

OK, the floors aren't ideal but then neither is the rolling of the ship whilst doing a slow Fox Trot. If you love to dance then does it really matter if the music is right!

8 hours ago, IJustWantToGo36 said:

Celebrity Millinium cut their dance floor is the lounge in half at last refurb

REALLY BLOWS

It's not just Celebrity.  That is the future, friends.  Ballroom dancers are a dying breed, and wiggling in place doesn't require a big dance floor.

• Like 1

I am not a dancer, so I had not considered this aspect of cruising.  I did notice on my Royal Princess cruise that the Piazza had several couples, including a few Filipino couples and one Korean couple, who were dancing every single evening. 

On 3/10/2022 at 11:14 PM, TBfrPH said:

It's rare to find a discussion about dancing on CC boards anymore.  So thank you, Kopy, for starting this one. Dancing to live music is the #1 reason that we cruise.  I've had to work really hard to find updated information about music and dancing on the different cruise lines and ships.  So I'd like to chime in with our (limited) experience, and hopefully other like-minded cruisers would find it useful in their trip planning. 

For better or worse, we are neither Elite nor elite.  We've been on 5 Princess ships, ranging from the old Grand to the newer Majestic.  We've also sailed on Celebrity a few years back, and HAL right before the pandemic.  We do ballroom dancing as a fun hobby, and would find ways to dance ballroom steps to all sorts of contemporary music (including hip hop) that most people don't consider to be ballroom style.  So we're not ballroom purists by any means.

If one is looking to boogie to pop music and just wiggle in place, then the piazza and Vista/Explorer Lounge on all the Princess ships will be more than satisfactory.  On recent cruises, there was consistently a pop band playing every night in either one of those places (both Grand and Royal Class ships).  If one wants to do ballroom dances that take up some floor space (like a waltz or tango), then none of the current ships by Princess, HAL, or Celebrity will truly accommodate.  We've made do in the Explorer/Vista,  but that only works if only one or two other couples are sharing the floor with us.  Usually a slow ballad is playing and few people want to get up for that.  The Nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam used to have afternoon tea dance with the house band in the Oceanview Bar, which had a nice dance floor.  But since their latest refurbishment, they have done away with dancing there.  HAL now expects everyone to dance in BB King Lounge or the new Rock n Roll venue, and many ballroom dancers don't consider the music conducive to their style.  In fact, we've been told that the Queen's Room on Cunard ships is the only legit ballroom dance floor remaining at sea.  We'll find out for ourselves when we sample the QE this June.

The Wheelhouse bar on grand class ships has a small dance floor that would accommodate 3-4 couples doing something like a swing, rumba, or cha cha, but not enough room for anything that requires traveling around the dance floor. Ironically that is where Princess has chosen to stage bands that actually play ballroom style music.  We managed a foxtrot and waltz a few times when we were the only ones dancing.  Club Fusion has a nice spacious dance floor, but on most recent cruises since restart it's only used for line dancing and ballroom lessons.  Pre-dinner time, there would be pre-recorded ballroom music in there for 2-3 hours, but few people go.  Most people, including us, prefer a live band.  I've asked why they won't have a live band in that space, and the response during the pandemic is that they don't want to encourage a large gathering.  That is a curious line because they have other activities there like line dancing and hula class that draw huge crowds.

There is no Wheelhouse on royal class ships, but there is a little space (carpet/marble, not wood floor) bordering the passage way at the Crown Grill Bar.  When we were on the Royal Princess Feb 2019, a fabulous trio played there a few nights, and we had a great time dancing to them while trying to not be in the way of passers-by.  There was also a violin duo who would play a tango on request in the piazza.  Princess Live on royal class ships has a really nice wood floor that would be great for dancing, but having music there is not in the cards as far as I know, only game shows.

In summary, cruise lines are fast abandoning the traditional ballroom dancing crowd to attract younger people and to create more seating for revenue-generating alcohol sales.  This is especially true of HAL and Celebrity.  Princess still has a very good mix of music bands, and with some flexibility to adapt, one can find a venue to dance every night. Usually there would be a pop/party band, an alternative band who will play some ballroom style music,  a guitarist or violinist, or duo who will play ballroom style songs on request, and the house band who plays mostly undanceable jazz (We've not experienced the jazz club on the newer Sky/Discovery/Enchanted ships).  There would also be a pianist or two, but we have rarely been able to dance to the music that they play.  On a cruise to Mexico in Nov 2021 we had a mariachi band, to whom we were able to dance rumba, bolero, waltz, and Viennese waltz when they played in the piazza.

On 3/10/2022 at 11:14 PM, TBfrPH said:

TB,

This is a terrific summation of where the cruise industry is going.  Bigger and bigger leads to more and more revenue, and ballroom dancing does not figure into industry plans for reasons you so aptly stated.

Coral is now our favorite Princess ship for dancing.  The Island is okay too, but it comes with its own issues.

The "R" ships were fine when Princess had them, but Azamara and Oceania have really dorked up the dance space.

Crystal was great but of course is now bankrupt.

Celebrity's Century Class ships had good dance floors but they're all gone; haven't cruised Celebrity in 10+ years even though we have high status.

The Queens seem to be the last bastion of ballroom dancing.  You'll be happy on the QE.  We've been on the QE and QV and will be trying the grandaddy of all dance floors on the QM2 in August.  Really looking forward to it.  Wiggling may be good exercise but it's not on our "to do" list.

All the best,

Bruce

Dancing is one of the highest priorities when selecting our cruises; the options have diminished substantially.  We used to like the Century Class 

• Thanks 1

Cruise ships are not designed to be dance halls.  They are designed to create revenue.  Dancing people are not drinking or eating.  Sometimes I can't even walk by a venue because there are people "dancing" in the walkway.  Fine by me if they limit or eliminate dance floor space.  And I hail from a dancing Family!

Flame away!

The comments about Celebrity echo our experience and is why we are sailing next on Regal rather than an X ship. Ditto for HAL.  We were very loyal to HAL until the BB Kings knock off bands became their focus and ballroom dancing disappeared.

I am at a complete loss when trying to understand the comment here about dancers not bringing in revenue.  Eating doesn’t generate revenue (in fact, it eats revenue - sorry for the pun) and as we go with the premium drinks pkg it’s to the cruise line’s benefit to have us dancing rather than consuming expensive drinks.

We purchase cruises based on dancing and with Crystal now gone we feel we are limited to Princess, Cunard and Regent.  Our hope is that Princess realizes there still are many who like to dance (hence the dancing in the walkway complaint above) and that they continue or, if we had our wish, expand their dance opportunities.  We believe there’s a good market opportunity here.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, AnyMajorCruiseDude said:

Cruise ships are not designed to be dance halls.  They are designed to create revenue.  Dancing people are not drinking or eating.  Sometimes I can't even walk by a venue because there are people "dancing" in the walkway.  Fine by me if they limit or eliminate dance floor space.  And I hail from a dancing Family!

Flame away!

Dancer's have grace,.  There is no need to flame you.

Your family must be so proud!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Somewhat on topic, are there still dance lessons. (DW really enjoys them.)

Yes, recently on the Ruby, one of the dancers in the ship company gives ballroom lessons on sea days in Club Fusion.  He did a great job. 

There are line dancing lessons in the same place.  On cruises to Hawaii there are hula lessons too.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TBfrPH said:

Yes, recently on the Ruby, one of the dancers in the ship company gives ballroom lessons on sea days in Club Fusion.  He did a great job. 

There are line dancing lessons in the same place.  On cruises to Hawaii there are hula lessons too.

Thank you, I hope this is fleet wide.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a dancer & definitely on cruise, I highlight all the dance schedules.  Always have dance shoes w/ me!

Celebrity has limited space for ballroom dancing but if you know your floor craft, right before dinner, they play music @ the live foyer (not wooden floor but it'll do for a little bit).  I remember doing some cha cha/waltz there.. some bopping around.  I'd had fun @ Summit/Eclipse.. not the big big ships.

Hal - koningsdam/westerdam-- Queens lounge-- they have tea time. (not live music but u can ask the DJ to play songs)  Even after the time, a few stayed longer & the dj continued to play for us.

NCL - Breakaway - dance floor at dinner.  Live music @ dinner every nite (maybe off 1 night).  U need to reserve table if you want to be by the dance floor.

Now I haven't cruised since Pandemic so I don't know if this is still happening.

Very sad that Crystal is no longer available--- was saving for that & the idea that they have Hosts.. *sighs* as not traveling w/ a bunch of dancers.  Next is QM2... but the itinerary is limited.

Keep me posted if there's any ships w/ great dancing!.

@TBfrPHexcellent review and comments.  I am not a fancier of Princess’ Royal Class ships.  It is awful that they have decided to give up on the smaller Grand Class Ships.  

in my opinion..
True, few dancers are not big drinkers.

True, Princess is slowly removing dance venues

True, there are dance lessons on sea days, but more salsa, cha cha, line dancing type. 
True, they do have recorded music in the Vista Lounge before dinner.  Good dance venue, but lousy location with vibrations, movements, and strobe lighting.  I once asked the Entertainment Director to play more Ballroom type music (waltz, fox trot, swing, etc). After that, it was great. 

Princess Show Band is fantastic.  Dance band not so.  Why schedule an acoustical guitarist or pianist in the Wheel Bar!

But, literally, we are a dying breed.  I won’t even mention those “for show” ballroom dancers who hog the dance floor so others can’t enjoy the limited space.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/29/2022 at 10:34 PM, jumpjump said:

I'm a dancer & definitely on cruise, I highlight all the dance schedules.  Always have dance shoes w/ me!

Celebrity has limited space for ballroom dancing but if you know your floor craft, right before dinner, they play music @ the live foyer (not wooden floor but it'll do for a little bit).  I remember doing some cha cha/waltz there.. some bopping around.  I'd had fun @ Summit/Eclipse.. not the big big ships.

Hal - koningsdam/westerdam-- Queens lounge-- they have tea time. (not live music but u can ask the DJ to play songs)  Even after the time, a few stayed longer & the dj continued to play for us.

NCL - Breakaway - dance floor at dinner.  Live music @ dinner every nite (maybe off 1 night).  U need to reserve table if you want to be by the dance floor.

Now I haven't cruised since Pandemic so I don't know if this is still happening.

Very sad that Crystal is no longer available--- was saving for that & the idea that they have Hosts.. *sighs* as not traveling w/ a bunch of dancers.  Next is QM2... but the itinerary is limited.

Keep me posted if there's any ships w/ great dancing!.

QM2 is the ultimate cruise for Ballroom Dancing.

13 hours ago, GulfShoresCruiser said:

Just off the Sky.....

Saw folks dancing in two places.....the piazza and Princess Live.....We are not into dancing but there you go....

Dancing in Princess Live...  Really????  That would be awesome if it's replicated on other Royal Class ships.  When we were on Royal Princess right before Covid and Majestic last September, dancing was only possible in piazza and Vista Lounge... only game shows in Princess Live.

On 3/9/2022 at 7:06 PM, CineGraphic said:

Not sure why you chose to include this.

Is an elite's opinion somehow more important than the other passengers?

Welcome to the real world. The more you spend, the more attention you command.