Help! Just diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes.

11 hours ago, mugtech said:

Am also type 2, my doctor told me to eat brown rice and whole wheat bread,  avoid the white stuff.  Was hard to do in the Philippines. 

Almost 15 years as a t1, and I discovered gluten free pasta! Still same carbs, but it acts SOOOOOOO different in my body......it’s very exciting haha

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Fontaid said:

Since you will be away from home and not near your own doctor, read up on how to "treat" hypoglycemia for a diabetic. It's actually pretty easy - fruit juice, a piece of candy, a cube of sugar, etc. help. 

Lastly - don't fret and most importantly - enjoy your cruise!

Dave

I got a cgm  2 years ago (super helpful as a t1) and my doctor was like “you gs on hand to get your sugars up, juices, glucose tablets, smarties” and I said “SMARTIES!” Cuz carrying around juice isn’t very practical and glucose tablets aren’t as exciting as candy hahahahah they’re my go to 🙂 

Edited by Kathscof
  • Like 2

I've been Type 2 since 1989. You will go through many stages, on this now life long battle for yourself. Avoid simple carbs whenever you can BUT on the cruise it's not quite normal. Break a FEW of your strictest rules but avoid sugar whenever you can. What you do during this week will NOT swing your A1C (90 average sugar number)one way or the other as long as your more strict following your diet. Enjoy your vacation and cruise!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Fontaid said:

I prefer Accu-Chek FastClix to do the finger pricks.

I LOVE this one.

15 hours ago, Fontaid said:

One last thing I'll mention here - alcohol. People mentioned bad things about the sweet and fruity drinks. All true, but I'm going to tell you about it from the other side. Alcohol can cause a diabetic to go hypoglycemic - yes, it can make you have too LOW a blood sugar number.

also, some diabetes meds are completely incompatible with alcohol, that's the reason I didn't mention alcohol on a cruise.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1

Diabetes can be different for individuals - Type 2 is about your cells being resistant to insulin not that there is not enough of it.  So for my husband he needs 50 units of insulin where someone else may need 10. Your body will react the same way. I agree with the doctor piece but honestly (and I love doctors) - they do not always have the best knowledge about how to live with diabetes. A nutritionist or certified diabetes educator are amazing and will give you practical advice. Most insurances will cover the consult. The other recommendation is to make friends with the bartender and ask for something that is not full of carbs. Same thing in the dining room - an extra salad instead of fries.  By the way - some of the sugar free desserts have some carbs so ask - but some are really good. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

some gluten free stuff is made out of white rice, so it may not be as exciting, unfortunately. 🙂

well, Aldi (which has an amazing gluten free selection for all you gluten free folks!) has brown rice and quinoa pasta, which is better than any of the other "alternative" pastas that I have found....and as I shared, it acts WAY differently in my body than normal....so that is a GOOD thing....

Edited by Kathscof
  • Like 1

Hubby was diagnosed as a type 2 Diabetes patient several years ago. A little over 2 years ago, he lost about 100 lbs., mostly through following a low-carb, high-protein diet and by taking daily walks or riding an indoor exercise bike several times a week.  

While on cruise ships, we still do our walks most days - usually he does a little over 3 miles, while I tag along and do about 2.5 miles. This is usually on deck 4, in the morning. We don't care for the jogging track so much because it's more crowded and usually hotter up there on the pool deck.

Hubby still follows a "modified" diet - he eats lots of protein, a carb, and apples for breakfast, protein and a large salad for lunch, and protein, some carbs, and more salad and veggies for dinner. If there's a Johnny Rockets onboard, we will usually splurge one day. Hubby does dessert (usually ice cream - sugar-free, if he remembers) about twice during a 7-night cruise. Luckily, he doesn't have a big sweet tooth. I do, however (been tested, not diabetic.) I enjoy the sugar-free coconut cake, pineapple "Sunshine" cake, and the profiteroles, if they are freshly-made. 

The Promenade Cafe and if available, Park Cafe, are good for picking up apples or other fruit if you are far from the Windjammer. Just remember that watermelon, like other melons, while delicious, is high in sugar. 😞

If the ship doesn't offer chiller boxes in the cabin, one can request a medical fridge in advance or when you board the ship. Same thing for sharps containers. 

Edited by sushitex

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I LOVE this one.

also, some diabetes meds are completely incompatible with alcohol, that's the reason I didn't mention alcohol on a cruise.

To complicate this last year more, I was diagnosed last March with Breast Cancer so I have had a year of new experiences to say the least.  I have avoided all alcohol since day one of my Chemotherapy so if I don't / can't drink any alcohol, I've already been in training for that for a year now.  February 2021 Cruise was cancelled by the cruise line, February 2022 was nixed by my oncologist so I moved it to December of this year so I didn't lose thousands of dollars that I have already paid.  So I am really yearning for a cruise.

I was right when I said my fellow cruisers were a wealth of knowledge.  

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, MOSusan said:

I was diagnosed last March with Breast Cancer so I have had a year of new experiences to say the least.

I am wishing you all the best! You got this! I hope you enjoy your cruise to the fullest as well.

By the way, I went to Mizzou in Columbia - I have very fond memories of that town.

1 hour ago, MOSusan said:

To complicate this last year more, I was diagnosed last March with Breast Cancer so I have had a year of new experiences to say the least.  I have avoided all alcohol since day one of my Chemotherapy so if I don't / can't drink any alcohol, I've already been in training for that for a year now.  February 2021 Cruise was cancelled by the cruise line, February 2022 was nixed by my oncologist so I moved it to December of this year so I didn't lose thousands of dollars that I have already paid.  So I am really yearning for a cruise.

I was right when I said my fellow cruisers were a wealth of knowledge.  

I’m so sorry to hear about this added diagnosis. In a family of 8, 5 of us have had cancer. What I’ve learned from my own health history as well as that of my siblings is to live in the moment! Take the cruise! Don’t put anything off. I’m so glad that you are going ahead with your plans despite your health challenges. Life is to be embraced and lived to its fullest. Best of luck and happy cruising! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I am wishing you all the best! You got this! I hope you enjoy your cruise to the fullest as well.

By the way, I went to Mizzou in Columbia - I have very fond memories of that town.

Thank you for your kind wishes.  I'm a Mizzou graduate also.  Not sure when you were here but the town is growing by leaps and bounds.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dleahy4444 said:

I’m so sorry to hear about this added diagnosis. In a family of 8, 5 of us have had cancer. What I’ve learned from my own health history as well as that of my siblings is to live in the moment! Take the cruise! Don’t put anything off. I’m so glad that you are going ahead with your plans despite your health challenges. Life is to be embraced and lived to its fullest. Best of luck and happy cruising! 

Thank you.  I'm kicking Cancer's butt up one side of the street and down the other.  Just have to get through some of the other things that have come along with strong chemo and get on with my life.  Fortunately, I have an employer that has allowed me to work remote through all of this.

• Like 6

Hi. I too am a type 2 diabetic for 15 years. Controlling with meds. Also keeping active with exercise and diet. Limiting carbs, sugar and processed foods. When we are on a cruise I tend to enjoy the variety of cuisine but keep active like going to the gym and lots of walking. Every thing in moderation. 

Also, when travelling I make sure when we purchase travel medical insurance that we get a pre-existing rider for the diabetes as well as high blood pressure that  we have medications for. Might want to check with your travel insurance regarding pre-existing conditions when travelling out of country. For what its worth, hope this helps. 

• Like 1

On 3/9/2022 at 3:05 PM, MOSusan said:

Any tips on cruising with Type 2.  Foods that I can eat?  Drinks?  etc.  I feel fine, have no issues but I don't want to tempt fate by  doing things I shouldn't.  Right now I don't know way more than I know.  

Thanks for any input that my fellow cruisers might be able to give to me.

You should ask your doctor for a referral to a Diabetes Education professional.  They will go over dietary and exercise programs that will assist you.  I'm assuming you have also been put on medication for Type II.  If so, with proper diet and exercise, you may be able to eliminate the meds after awhile.  

As an RN, I agree with the posters who mention Registered Dietitians as a great help.  Before the cruise, you need to get used to your new diagnosis and how to work with it.  Once you have it "down", you will know what you can and cannot eat as well as symptoms.  I also suggest working with a healthy lifestyle coach for fitness as well.  I would focus on delicious low carb meals that you can enjoy.  There are also a lot of apps that can help you as well with carb content (chalk up yet another reason why you don't keep phone in the safe!).

My husband Las type 2 diabetic.  Majority of our meals are protein, vegetables and moderate carbohydrates. Beware that corn and peas are high in sugar and carbs.  

He does the sugar free desserts on cruises, and is careful with carbs.  It is somewhat easier on a cruise because of the abundance of eggs, bacon, sausage (turkey good options instead of pork too)

He eats cheese sticks and turkey jerky sticks.  They are low carb and sugar.  He has mobility issues so

can't exercise much.  Uses the treadmill cautiously at a low speed.  He doesn't combine bread and potatoes at same meal, one or the other.  He tests before each meal and uses the flex pen for insulin doses.  Never fun, but has done it for many years.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisinfanatic said:

I'm surprised that knowone has mentioned seeing a diabetes educator. They are usually RN's with a CDE (Certified Diabestes Educator). A dietitian usually works with them

It depends on insurance and what is allowed.  My sister is one.

31 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

It depends on insurance and what is allowed.  My sister is one.

Right. Well worth the money even if out of pocket. They know more than the typical doctor that diagnosis you because they specialize in the treatment

• Like 1

Firstly, welcome to the Type 2 Diabetic Club. I've been a T2 Diabetic since 1996. Not an authority by any means. As many people have already advised, speak to your medical professional. They will know your health record more than anyone else who can comment.

The main thing is to eat in moderation, especially the things you like. People will say to you "Cut out sugar completely" or "Avoid these foods". These types of advice can be dangerous, and whilst I appreciate is given in good faith, it's not something you should take as a rule of thumb, but something you need to decide for yourself with the support of your medical professional.

Check your travel insurance policy to see if your Diabetes is covered. If it isn't, it may be worth asking if it can be covered. Be candid about the medication you are on, otherwise if there is an issue, it can go against you.

Whilst on the cruise, tell your stateroom attendant know about your Diabetes, just in case something happens, they may be able to react. Take your medication as prescribed by your medical professional, and take about 4 or 5 days extra supplies as a just in case measure.

The most important thing is to enjoy your holiday to the best of your ability. If you are on Insulin, be aware of the signs of a hypo and hyper situations and know how to manage it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, novicetraveller said:

Firstly, welcome to the Type 2 Diabetic Club. I've been a T2 Diabetic since 1996. Not an authority by any means. As many people have already advised, speak to your medical professional. They will know your health record more than anyone else who can comment.

The main thing is to eat in moderation, especially the things you like. People will say to you "Cut out sugar completely" or "Avoid these foods". These types of advice can be dangerous, and whilst I appreciate is given in good faith, it's not something you should take as a rule of thumb, but something you need to decide for yourself with the support of your medical professional.

Check your travel insurance policy to see if your Diabetes is covered. If it isn't, it may be worth asking if it can be covered. Be candid about the medication you are on, otherwise if there is an issue, it can go against you.

Whilst on the cruise, tell your stateroom attendant know about your Diabetes, just in case something happens, they may be able to react. Take your medication as prescribed by your medical professional, and take about 4 or 5 days extra supplies as a just in case measure.

The most important thing is to enjoy your holiday to the best of your ability. If you are on Insulin, be aware of the signs of a hypo and hyper situations and know how to manage it.

Thank you but I didn't really want to join your club.  🙂  Thankfully, I am not on insulin.  I take a pill once a day and it is the lowest dosage of this particular drug.  My doctor gave me the diagnosis over the phone and we will have a follow up appointment where I will probably learn more about what is going on, how to check my blood sugar, etc.  Right now I haven't started any finger pricking yet to test.

What it has done is it is helping make some better choices.  My adult son has helped by finishing off two containers of Ice Cream the past couple of nights! If it's not there, I won't eat it!  But my love for Ice Cream was pretty strong when I was going through chemo.  When nothing tasted good, I could always eat Ice Cream without my stomach hurting.  It was a good friend to me. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MOSusan said:

Thank you but I didn't really want to join your club.  🙂  Thankfully, I am not on insulin.  I take a pill once a day and it is the lowest dosage of this particular drug.  My doctor gave me the diagnosis over the phone and we will have a follow up appointment where I will probably learn more about what is going on, how to check my blood sugar, etc.  Right now I haven't started any finger pricking yet to test.

What it has done is it is helping make some better choices.  My adult son has helped by finishing off two containers of Ice Cream the past couple of nights! If it's not there, I won't eat it!  But my love for Ice Cream was pretty strong when I was going through chemo.  When nothing tasted good, I could always eat Ice Cream without my stomach hurting.  It was a good friend to me. 

Believe me, nobody wants to be in the club..... and trust me, it's not my club. I've been testing my sugars daily pretty much from day 1. I appreciate how tempting Ice Cream is, and congrats on getting through Chemo. Some habbits are hard to kick. I say this, as I know! The first rule is... don't listen to people who say "You must cut this and that out!". Speak to your Doctor. they will tell you what you should do. But moreover, enjoy your cruise.

If you have a national Diabetic Association like the American Diabetic Association or UK Diabetes, it may be worth being a part of it, even if it's until you become a non-diabetic. You will get a wealth of information that you will benefit from.

• Like 1

For me, T2D cruising is probably the easiest way there is to stay on point with diet.  I am totally Carnivore, I eat nothing but meat, cheese, eggs and some dairy, cream/whole milk.  All we do is tell them not to bring any veggies/breads or desserts. Simple.  The variety of meats is to die for onboard.  We bring our own Skinny Girl mixers for straight Vodka shots, I have diet lemon drops and Pina Coladas, no sugar at all.  My blood sugars have been perfect since we went Carnivore.  Never felt better in my life. In fact my doc has taken one medicine off and is considering taking me off Metformin, quite an accomplishment she says.  A1C is pre-Diabetic.  Of course not all Diabetics are that extreme, but you can certainly do Keto excluding all sugars and carb loaded veggies.....sadly none of the exquisit breads...but it should be easy for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1