Cabo San Lucas: Tender personal aggressive in asking for tips

fstuff1

Our experience while visiting Cabo on the Bliss during Christmas week last year was pretty much the same as the OP.  I don't recall being asked for tips on the way over, but while returning to the ship during a very bumpy ride, the crew came around with a tip can & wouldn't leave until we put some money in it.  (There were a few passengers, however, who managed to ignore them or wave them away.)  It was a bit irritating, but understanding that many in Mexico are living in poverty, we put in a couple of bucks.  We, too, always have singles with us and, after all, we are on vacation, so what's a few more dollars - it probably meant more to them than it did to us.  But then, I'm the type who'll give money to the street vendors (especially those with small children - I know, I'm a big softy) and not take their wares.

Kudos to you Niki !  A dollar or two to them is a much bigger deal to them in Mexico.   I think, if people are on a Cruise, you can afford to be courteous.   I  have been to Mexico many times.  I have been asked many times to go on a Timeshare presentation.  I always say no thank you, I'm not interested.  I know this is their job, but, at least I don't disrespect them.  I find, "Treat people the way you want to be Treated".  Guess what it works !  And really what's a buck or two to us.  Although, I agree the $100 lotion was overboard.  Next time something like that happens try saying no thank you and keep walkin on.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2022 at 7:54 PM, rumma said:

Coming from a non tipping culture I find this bizzare and sad.  It's the reason we will no longer travel to the US, I'll be extending that exclusion zone wider, tipping weirds me out.  We're looking at Alaska in 2024, I need a few years to build up to dealing with it I also convert, never a good move.

I think this situation in Cabo would have made me uncomfortable. But just because the culture is different in the States and North America in general it would never stop me cruising or visiting the USA. Some of our very best holidays/ vacations have been in that wonderful country. Like many cultural differences all over the world when in Rome do as the Romans do. I hope you go to Alaska, budget for the tips and have a ball.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2022 at 6:49 PM, FreestyleNovice said:

Those Cabo tender captains read all those generous posts tipping threads here on CC, they are after a piece of the pie. :classic_biggrin: 

I’ve heard they will soon require CC username tags to be worn to identify the real tipping whales..

:classic_laugh:

No sense in returning home with $500 in $2 bills. 🤣

On 3/14/2022 at 2:54 PM, rumma said:

Coming from a non tipping culture I find this bizzare and sad.  It's the reason we will no longer travel to the US, I'll be extending that exclusion zone wider, tipping weirds me out.  We're looking at Alaska in 2024, I need a few years to build up to dealing with it I also convert, never a good move.

I can understand that. If I go into a coffee shop, the barista pours my black brewed coffee. Then I stick my cc into pay and it ask how much tip. Ridiculous! That's less work than at McDonalds and so far they don't expect a tip.

Edited by IrieBajan54
correction
  • Like 2

Easy, "Lo siento, no tengo dinero". On the other hand, the open-air local tenders are much nicer than the ship ones, which are enclosed, crew don't leave until they're completely full, so they're stifling hot and nearer the water and are claustrophobic. When I go ashore in Cabo I wear sunglasses and headphones or earbuds and don't acknowledge any of the people lining everywhere to push boat trips, cigars, trinkets, or use children as begging bait. If somebody's intimidating or forcing you to give a tip, then it's not a tip, but extortion, and people yielding to the pressure only encourages them to do it more, the same as any other form of aggressive panhandling. Personally, I prefer staying on the ship now in Cabo, to avoid all the stresses and unpleasantness, especially since the best parts of Cabo are free--whale and dolphin shows sailing in, the Arc, and the glorious sunsets, along with the gaudy party boats in the harbor blasting out music in the evening. 

• Like 1

When we were on the Bliss in December in Cabo we did not encounter any suggestion of tipping the tender personnel.  For that matter this was our third time in Cabo and have never been expected to tip the tender personnel.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, IrieBajan54 said:

No sense in returning home with $500 in $2 bills. 🤣

Heh, "Nothing to declare sir?" *officers nudges at suitcase obviously full of $1 dollar bills* "Neh."

On a serious note: I understand those who tip for generousity, feel sorry for them, etc. but is the tip justified or forced upon? As an European I would not tip so fast for a service which probably is paid through my port fees, on the other hand as said above; when in Rome do as the Romans do.. I certainly would not feel very sorry for them, at least they have a job and you might even be surprised how lucrative their tip jar is. How many tender runs would do they do on a day? And how many ships a week? :classic_wink:

On 3/14/2022 at 4:09 PM, roger001 said:

Tipping in the US is getting outrageous.  Businesses that don't provide any type service, services  that have in the past been a tipping type business, servers at tables, etc, these other businesses now have on the printed receipt a place to indicate how much you wish to tip.  Getting ridiculous.  And this request to tip occurs before anything has even happened, like ordering a pizza at a counter to go.  Tipping was supposed to be for exceptional service.  Service hasn't even occurred yet.  

Was at a self serve ice cream shop over the weekend. All the workers did was hand you a cup and watch you self check out. The checkout had 4 different buttons on it, one for no tip, one for 15%, one of 20% and one for 22%.  I almost actually laughed out loud at how ridiculous it was

• Like 1

Most of the responses speak volumes about the people responding.   There is NEVER a person who waits on or helps me that doesn't get a please or thank you from me.  How many of you can say the same ?  Especially on a Cruise, the majority of people are so rude to the staff !  Your comments here only verify my comments.

3 minutes ago, daveispar said:

Most of the responses speak volumes about the people responding.   There is NEVER a person who waits on or helps me that doesn't get a please or thank you from me.  How many of you can say the same ?  Especially on a Cruise, the majority of people are so rude to the staff !  Your comments here only verify my comments.

On the many cruises I've taken I've never once see "the majority of people" being rude to the staff.  Never.  If anything, just the opposite.

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, daveispar said:

Too bad there isn't a dislike button

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, daveispar said:

No one was talking about cruise ship crew, it was about non NCL tenders and their aggressive way of looking for tips. I think everyone on this thread says please and thank you, aggressive locals in your face looking for a tip is another story, it can be like wading into a shark tank and sadly too many times nicely saying NO doesn't work

• Like 1

This is one of those situations I would have to see to make a judgment call on.  Unless you are new to cruising, tip jars and people asking for tips is widely accepted even on tenders.  They are still obligated to take you to and from the ship if you dont tip them.   They will usually tell the story how tipping is how they can actually make some money, etc.   I never tip the tender guys or rarely have.  However, I have and usually tip a NCL excursion person who did a great job.  The bike ride in Grand Bahama Island had a fantastic guide and I tipped him.   Our nature hiking guide on St John was good and I tipped them.  I have always seen the tip jars on the tender boats and heard asking for tips but have not tipped them.  I think I have seen them walking throughout with a jar but few take them up on the offer.   It sounds like a very typical cruise ship tender to me 🤨   Unless something extreme happened and I would have to witness it. 

17 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

However, I have and usually tip a NCL excursion person who did a great job.  

Yes, we definitely normally tip our shore excursion guides, as 99% of them do an excellent job & I think they rely on tips as part of their income.  It's sort of the same thing as tipping servers - they rely on tips to make up a good part of their income.

OK, we were in Cabo yesterday. 

Taking a smaller tender boat in one of the guys just sort of made an announcement and waved a clear jar saying thanks for your tips amigos - like, asking in advance

However, on the way back we had one of the larger tender boats and there was a girl walking around with a jar standing right in front of you “tips amigo, tips amigo, tips amigo…” I was prepared to tip but I gotta agree the OP - the approach was a little rude/uncomfortable/something …

On 3/21/2022 at 1:24 PM, daveispar said:

Did you actually read the thread of replies? It appears not as your response is nonsensical. NO ONE is talking about the cruise staff. 

I was just on a B2B on the Bliss so tendered to Cabo twice (4 times there and back…). At no time did anyone ask for tips.  The Bliss lifeboats are not designed to be used as tender boats so they use the Cabo tender boats.  The smaller ships do still use their own lifeboats as tenders.  The captain told us this.

• Like 1