Why do most of the staterooms on Carnival look so run down?

26 minutes ago, neongoddess said:

Why all the hate for shower curtains in this thread? Personally I don't see what difference it makes. Would be nice if the showers were bigger, but that's cruise ship cabins for you.

The showers are bigger on Fantasy class ships.

We have found all of our cabins to be is good working order, clean, and comfortable while admittedly we saw more rust then before the shutdown it didn’t impact our enjoying cruising.  On our 9th trip since the restart last week aboard the Conquest we were much happier with our cabin and bed then we were with our $$200 Miami Beach hotel on the pre cruise one night stay.  Respectfully, I understand that this is a great example of different expectations for different people and agree with some comments here and suggest that it’s a great reason to carefully select not only the ship you sail but the type of cabin.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Pesky Wabbit said:

We sailed the Pride and not only were the cabins very substandard but a lot of the was dirty and rusty.  The ship needs a massive overhaul before we would consider sailing her again.  It was quite possibly the worst cruise experience we ever had.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. It's a population explosion.

9 minutes ago, The Pesky Wabbit said:

We sailed the Pride and not only were the cabins very substandard but a lot of the was dirty and rusty.  The ship needs a massive overhaul before we would consider sailing her again.  It was quite possibly the worst cruise experience we ever had.

Crazy! Every Carnival cruise I've been on has had staff cleaning almost constantly. I have not been on the Pride though.

Maybe I'm being opinionated but if you're using your room for anything other than hygiene, sleep, and adult activity, you're doing the whole cruise wrong anyway. It exists to be an efficient functional private space, not the focal point of your vacation.

(I do understand many people spend much of the cruise out on their balconies quietly enjoying the sea, but we have had them and use them very little, being mostly out enjoying the massive floating pleasure palace and all its treasures.)

If you are vacationing for a really great room that you plan to spend a lot of time in, either upgrade to a suite / maybe on a better ship / or just book a great land based hotel suite somewhere much closer to home. 

JMHO again.

• Like 2

On 3/17/2022 at 1:36 PM, Lane Hog said:

Some of those defending their brand have probably never been on a different cruise line.....

Maybe not defending the brand but simply defining. This is Carnival folks. This is what you get for your $$. It's the cheapest cruise line and it also has the most budget conscious passengers. That's actually literally the point.

It's no secret. If you don't like it sail something else.  Almost every other cruise line serving primarily a US market is anywhere from slightly to drastically more upscale.  Don't eat at McDonald's if you want . . . well, some other burger. 5 Guy's, Gordon Ramsey Burger, I don't even know what a great burger is. Whatever. It's not the same burger and it doesn't exist to try to be the same burger. Go buy the burger you want, the one you like, but what is the point of dragging McDonald's for selling what they sell to people who want it?

These posts are basically saying: Hey! Carnival seems to be, well, CARNIVAL! What the heck? I wanted _______.  Okay, duly noted.  Maybe use a travel agent to help match you to what you actually wanted.

Peeps have heard it all before. Carnival is the cheapo bargain basement line, we all know it. Is that defending it? I dunno. CARNIVAL IS THE CHEAPO BARGAIN LINE AND WE KNOW IT.  To me it's just the facts. Carnival is McDonald's. Or Walmart, it gets called the Walmart of the Seas. Okay, yes.

Posts amazed it is something other than it has ever claimed to be are neither anything new nor "winnable arguments."  They're telling everyone what we already know as if they have just discovered this reality for the very first time and as if there is not already an infinite number of gigabytes of review data explaining what Carnival actually is.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Wabit

for us the rust was easy to observe on our balcony, our bathroom, and outdoor deck.  Not a complaint on our part just an observation in response to the original post.  We get it and assume that this is a target area that we will see improvement as time goes on given this is a bigger problem for them to extend the life of the ship then it is a quality of life for me. 

4 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

Maybe not defending the brand but simply defining. This is Carnival folks. This is what you get for your $$. It's the cheapest cruise line and it also has the most budget conscious passengers. That's actually literally the point.

It's no secret. If you don't like it sail something else.  Almost every other cruise line serving primarily a US market is anywhere from slightly to drastically more upscale.  Don't eat at McDonald's if you want . . . well, some other burger. 5 Guy's, Gordon Ramsey Burger, I don't even know what a great burger is. Whatever. It's not the same burger and it doesn't exist to try to be the same burger. Go buy the burger you want, the one you like, but what is the point of dragging McDonald's for selling what they sell to people who want it?

These posts are basically saying: Hey! Carnival seems to be, well, CARNIVAL! What the heck? I wanted _______.  Okay, duly noted.  Maybe use a travel agent to help match you to what you actually wanted.

Peeps have heard it all before. Carnival is the cheapo bargain basement line, we all know it. Is that defending it? I dunno. CARNIVAL IS THE CHEAPO BARGAIN LINE AND WE KNOW IT.  To me it's just the facts. Carnival is McDonald's. Or Walmart, it gets called the Walmart of the Seas. Okay, yes.

Posts amazed it is something other than it has ever claimed to be are neither anything new nor "winnable arguments."  They're telling everyone what we already know as if they have just discovered this reality for the very first time and as if there is not already an infinite number of gigabytes of review data explaining what Carnival actually is.

I agree.  When my husband and I cruise, it's usually to visit the ports, watch comedy shows, and relax.  We could cruise on any line we want, but we are fine just chilling out.  There's no need for fancy furnishings or amusement park rides for us.  We do like some variety, so we have been on several different lines.  If people want fancy and new, a more elegant decor, or any sign of wear diminishes the quality of their vacation, then there are a lot of options with other lines or even with the Mardi Gras.  

I only noticed rust on some of the ships after I read about it on CC.  It was just not something I ever thought about when I cruised.  But I know that type of thing really bothers many people, which is why it's great that there are so many cruising options.

• Like 1

Your pictures don't really look run down to me. Maybe the style doesn't suit you but I still quite like the decor. I just came of the Breeze which is about to drydock but it looked very good. My room was in excellent condition. I think a lot depends on which room you got on which ship and how rough a life it's had, lol. 

• Like 2

We were on the Breeze in January on our first post covid cruise.   It was a thrill to be cruising again so it would have taken a lot for us to find anything wrong.   This was our 6th cruise on the Breeze and she is our favorite ship however it was sad to see her in the condition she was in.  There was carpeting coming up on the stairs.    Not only did it look bad but it was a safety hazard.   I fixed the same spot a few times to hopefully avoid someone tripping on it.   We are booked on her again in May and are hoping the dry dock will address issues like these.   Probably sounds crazy to some but we feel like the Breeze is our ship and we felt badly for her to see her run down in places.    We had a fantastic time as we do on all our cruises and can't wait to see her again in May!   Happy Cruising!

• Like 2

Why is Carnival the best value in the industry? The newer ships (vista class and up) have nearly the same options as other lines. A wave rider or rock wall on a ship with 4K+ people? Good luck getting on those low capacity options or having to make reservations for everything. Way more food options included on Carnival ships vs the competition too. No aqua shows or ice skating but comedy and other shows and options. I keep reading about how other lines are sooooo much better but I just don't see it when you factor in value to dollar ratios. Every time I price something else, I'm left asking what I'm getting for my additional spend and end up not moving forward. I'm glad OP and others are willing to spend more and think they are getting a better deal. I like actually getting a better deal. 😁   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I've been on Mardi Gras and those certainly aren't looking worn down. The steps going up out of Lido are a different story but the cabins are fine.

I've also been on Pride and Spirit and the cabins there are fine as well. After the Mardi Gras, the Spirit Class bathrooms are simply spacious! The TV's are less than miniature but the rest of the cabins were in really great shape!

We just got off the Sunshine March 19th. Cabin 8318. This was our 3rd time on this ship. We were very happy with our stateroom. Shower was bigger than the one in my master bedroom. Shower curtain looked brand new. Cabin was very clean. Did it have a few spots on the carpet? Yes. Was there any where and tear in the cabin? Yes. Color scheme in the cabin as expected, no issue. Not sure what people expect on a ship?

Very impressed that the crew replaced the carpet in our entire hall in about 6 hours. They also did it on other floors. Constant maintenance on the entire ship. 

I have seen folks complain about rust. Hmm, we sailed the Enchanted Princess back in December 2021, one year old ship, 3rd active cruise with passengers. OMG, there was rust already appearing in places! Ship-sea= rust. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't think it looks dated. Carnival's new cabin style "sunshine" I think is great. The rooms feel nice and clean. I've been on other lines like Celebrity, Royal, and MSC. Their newer ships have very modern rooms, but they are usually smaller. Carnival's rooms are large, comfortable, and always clean. I enjoy the design of the newer cabins like on the Sunrise, Radiance, Breeze, Horizon, Vista, Elation, Paradise etc.. I'm not sure if they are going to refurbish any of the other ships. 

Edited by DisneyDatknee
  • Like 2