Where are lanyards purchased

wilderness1

1 hour ago, Guppy99 said:

Well that attitude gives yourself permission to always be judgmental. Very self-serving.  It's the same as saying it's human nature to be prejudiced. This is an excuse. those that feel this way should do better.  We all can, if we don't make excuses for ourselves. 

Point made.  You're judging me now. 

• Like 1

Who would have thought that this inane topic question would draw so much attention? Lanyards are purchased at the lanyard store, period end of story. But no, for one reason or another human relations experts, fashionistas, comedians, antagonists, counselors, capitalists, exhibitionists, voyeurs , the religious, the vulnerable, the over-sensitive, the innocuous and the golly-gee why me have all decided to get involved. I fall into none of these categories I’m just a neutral observer. It would not be surprising to me if a podiatrist, orthopedist and/or physical therapist decided to get involved. Wearing a lanyard for too long can cause physiological issues.

Lanyard backwards is draynal, a little used Baltic States word meaning “hang ‘em if ya got ‘em.” See how simple this all really is? Why so much ado about nothing?  

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

Well that attitude gives yourself permission to always be judgmental. Very self-serving.  It's the same as saying it's human nature to be prejudiced. This is an excuse. those that feel this way should do better.  We all can, if we don't make excuses for ourselves. 

Guppy has it exactly right. And I think too many of us on this forum get focused on thinking others want to flaunt some ‘status’ or just show off, subtly putting others down. It does happen, but I’ve never had anyone ask me what the color of my card stands for or anything such as that. Yes, one of the main subjects we get into with others we meet on cruise is….Guess What…..cruising. How many have you made? What is your favorite Line/Itinerary? Etc. None of that is about some “I’ve cruised more than you because/I’ve gone to these exotic places/I’ve cruise on this UltraLuxury Line/I’ve….”. The few that do, you can spot immediately. 

Think about some of the favorite thread subjects here: the ‘what to wear for dinner’ immediately sinks into accusing those that dress up beyond the basics of trying to be ‘above others’; then we have the gratuities/tipping threads that devolve into the ‘tippers are just showoffs’ posts. Sometimes we just like to dress up and we tip because we get good service and that is the ‘culture’ we are in. Funny how most of us take pride in trying to follow local customs, but when it costs us a few bucks, we suddenly find it wrong.  Got it.

den 

• Like 2

Well, after all that - if you would still like an official Celebrity lanyard - I happen to have 2 that have never been used.  Won them in a trivia contest on the last cruise, and they were thrown into our suitcase.  Here is what they look like.  I took one out of the package so you can see it better.  One side has a little zipper area, the other has a plastic see through holder for the seapass - there is no need to put a hole in a sea pass.  The lanyard can stay on your neck, and you can snap on/off the holder if needed.  So I guess that would be nice if you had long hair and didn't want to deal with on/off.  If you can message me with your address (if you are in the US) or something - I can send these to you via mail???

I've no idea what this lanyard would have to do with any status.  It is a traditional Celebrity blue, and anyone participating in the trivia contest could win.  We were a team of 5, and everyone on the team was given one.  I mean, I guess people could peek at your sea pass card color - but if someone really cares about that - well, that's on them.  If they've nothing better to do than try to sneak a peak at the color of someone's sea pass card color - that's too bad.

lan.jpg

Edited by ehall
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, emmas gran said:

Our choice changed at retirement, if you wear a pass/I.d for work the lanyard is something you may be used to, now we never bother as the little card wallets supplied are used by us both.

Really don’t know how threads can get so argumentative!

Isn't everything an argument these days?

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Laurab23 said:

Isn't everything an argument these days?

I agree, but then I thought back on one of my earlier experiences on CC in 2008, and I posted how nice it is to be able to try different entrees on a cruise, and I said ‘you can sample things’. Boy did That get a reaction. More than a few lectured me on wasting food by just ‘sampling’ and one guy went on and on about people such as I who cost everyone money by taking more than I used and so on. It got nasty. His posts were removed and the thread was locked. But he started another one on the same subject and it was removed. 

So yes, we see and hear so much of people getting extremely upset over pretty much everything nowadays, and I think it is ‘these days’ too, but then again…..

den

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

I thought back on one of my earlier experiences on CC in 2008,

You remember a thread from 2008?

If I ever forget my keys I’m coming to you to remember where I put them. 

• Haha 3

On 3/18/2022 at 5:36 AM, Guppy99 said:

I can guarantee that no one who matters will give a twit as to what color your card is. I certainly don't. Nor do I think the color of your card is a measure of your wealth, success, or "class". 

So, you know who " matters " and can talk for them ?

You should be so embarrassed .... 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

here's your tit for that tat

Hey Guppy... 10-posts on this topic?  Sorry if other people's opinions on perhaps a very trivial conversation are so upsetting.  This topic must hit home?

I better stop now...

PS - I enjoy sharing my cruise history and experiences and don't wear a lanyard.

Cheers! 

🍻

Edited by Sam.Seattle
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Sam.Seattle said:

Hey Guppy... 10-posts on this topic?  Sorry if other people's opinions on perhaps a very trivial conversation are so upsetting.  This topic must hit home?

I better stop now...

PS - I enjoy sharing my cruise history and experiences and don't wear a lanyard.

Cheers! 

🍻

awww.... you took the time to count 😍  (My response to Pinboy has nothing whatever to do on this subject. It was reply and response to another exchange.)

On 3/18/2022 at 4:47 PM, Denny01 said:

I agree, but then I thought back on one of my earlier experiences on CC in 2008, and I posted how nice it is to be able to try different entrees on a cruise, and I said ‘you can sample things’. Boy did That get a reaction. More than a few lectured me on wasting food by just ‘sampling’ and one guy went on and on about people such as I who cost everyone money by taking more than I used and so on. It got nasty. His posts were removed and the thread was locked. But he started another one on the same subject and it was removed. 

So yes, we see and hear so much of people getting extremely upset over pretty much everything nowadays, and I think it is ‘these days’ too, but then again…..

den

I agree wholeheartedly.  This brought back a memory from many years ago when the beverage packages were first introduced. We had purchased the premium primarily I drink quality over quantity. We very seldom attended the elite cocktail hour. Back then it was held in Michael's Club. We would drop in after 7pm for a pre-dinner drink, but this one evening it was just after 6. I had been working my way through a bottle of Midleton the previous evening and thought I would continue...so I handed our cards over to the server with our requests. No sooner had the server left and a "gentleman" advised me I was going to have to pay for that. I acknowledged his comment and assumed that was it. When I ordered a second, he commented again. When the server returned with the drink, I asked him if the bartender would come over when he had a minute. A few minutes later he did, and I asked him, by name, if he was going to charge me. His reply, I didn't charge you last night why would I charge you now. He had been monitoring the room and was aware of our discussion. I thought buddy was going to explode when he thought someone was getting something, for free, and he wasn't.  It took about 5 minutes to get him to understand the beverage package,

To get back to the topic at hand, I am proud to declare that once per day I will wear a lanyard. When I go to the gym in the early morning, my lovely wife has informed me the lovely barrista at CaB doesn't want to see me pull my seapass card out of my sock when I pick up my coffee on the way home.

• Like 2

Taking my family on an Alaska cruise in July and that incudes our 14yrold and 7yrold, so may get lanyards for them and if any of the adults want them. As I mentioned, I work with Kumihimo and can make up some braided lanyards that are blue with white X’s of beads on them. Could be fun to do. 

Den

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Taking my family on an Alaska cruise in July and that incudes our 14yrold and 7yrold, so may get lanyards for them and if any of the adults want them. As I mentioned, I work with Kumihimo and can make up some braided lanyards that are blue with white X’s of beads on them. Could be fun to do. 

Den

I think that's great. You should also clip a tiny watch on it so they have no excuses for not knowing what time it is.

Amazon.com: 2 Pieces Black Quartz Pocket Watch with Key Buckle Round Pocket Watch Keychain Watch Portable Unisex Watch for Kids Men Nurses : Clothing, Shoes & Jewelry

• Thanks 1

I will confess to wearing a lanyard on sea days since I pretty much never carry a wallet on the ship. And I've worn ID badges for so much of my life that it's just kind of natural...

And I'll also admit I notice room keys on Celebrity, which I've never noticed on other cruise lines. It seems like Celebrity has 2000 (intentional exaggeration) permutations of colors and lettering on their Seapass cards! They've almost intentionally created a "look at me" system! To the point that in many cases you can actually figure out not only room number, but deck, depending on the ship. I actually find that disturbing from a security standpoint!

The only other time in my life that I've paid any attention to what was on the card on someone's lanyard was when I was working in places where colors, patterns, words, and numbers told me if they should be in that room by themselves and what we could talk about in that room...

18 minutes ago, markeb said:

I will confess to wearing a lanyard on sea days since I pretty much never carry a wallet on the ship. And I've worn ID badges for so much of my life that it's just kind of natural...

And I'll also admit I notice room keys on Celebrity, which I've never noticed on other cruise lines. It seems like Celebrity has 2000 (intentional exaggeration) permutations of colors and lettering on their Seapass cards! They've almost intentionally created a "look at me" system! To the point that in many cases you can actually figure out not only room number, but deck, depending on the ship. I actually find that disturbing from a security standpoint!

The only other time in my life that I've paid any attention to what was on the card on someone's lanyard was when I was working in places where colors, patterns, words, and numbers told me if they should be in that room by themselves and what we could talk about in that room...

It seems to me that the color coding of the cabin keys serves the same pupose in allowing staff to quickly identify whether a person has access to some specific spaces.

1 minute ago, Guppy99 said:

It seems to me that the color coding of the cabin keys serves the same pupose in allowing staff to quickly identify whether a person has access to some specific spaces.

True, but they also include, or at least did include, the last 3 digits of your cabin number. Some cabin classes, indicated by color, are only on one deck…

8 hours ago, markeb said:

True, but they also include, or at least did include, the last 3 digits of your cabin number. Some cabin classes, indicated by color, are only on one deck…

I have found several cards over the years.  It has been rather easy to figure out some of the rooms.  For instance, if you found an aqua colored card that had the digits 623, you knew it was room 1623 on deck 11 on an S-class ship.  

On 3/17/2022 at 5:20 AM, swjumbo said:

Yes and let’s not encourage it!

Unless, of course, Celebrity starts cruising to the cheaper Vegas hotels.

I think we should encourage it.  Your on vacation, not a Fancy Social Event.

If you are adverse, maybe you should cruise Virgin or Windward

• Like 2

OP, if it's important to you to have a X branded lanyard before boarding you might try Ebay. If not try the gift shop as soon as it opens. They sell several different varieties there. For the record (who's keeping one?) IDC whether you wear a lanyard or not and also don't care about the color of your seapass card. I will enjoy my cruise just the same and hope you do as well. Happy sails and smooth seas.

• Like 2

On 3/18/2022 at 2:40 PM, Denny01 said:

Think about some of the favorite thread subjects here: the ‘what to wear for dinner’ immediately sinks into accusing those that dress up beyond the basics of trying to be ‘above others’; then we have the gratuities/tipping threads that devolve into the ‘tippers are just showoffs’ posts.

LOL--- Did you forget the thread that has the " record " for the most pages on CC and the least " interest " to anyone that doesn't have a cruise booked in year X ( choose any year )and who could care less about it (the topic of the thread )? 

No hints --- Ok, one ---- Anyone know who the Hotel Manager is going to be at the Banff Springs Hotel in June of 2026 ?? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

LOL--- Did you forget the thread that has the " record " for the most pages on CC and the least " interest " to anyone that doesn't have a cruise booked in year X ( choose any year )and who could care less about it (the topic of the thread )? 

No hints --- Ok, one ---- Anyone know who the Hotel Manager is going to be at the Banff Springs Hotel in June of 2026 ?? 

I wish I knew!  In the meantime, if you can assist me in finding out who my butler and room steward will be for my Dec 2022 cruise, along with the names and ages of their nearest and dearest, I have some magnets and socks I wish to bring for them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2