Paid for items in room?

mrshorsy

Evening all

So I have seen a few people commenting that they request items that would have to be paid for to be removed from their room on arrival. Could I ask what these items might be as when I asked about it on the NCL website chat function I was told there would only be items in the fridge if I had requested them?

Thanks in advance 

• Like 1

Upon arrival, I'd ask to meet the room stewart for an intro.  I'd give a tip (e.g. US$20 for upcoming 12d Panama canal cruise), and ask those stuff in the fridge to be removed.  If there are water bottles for purchase, to move those out too.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mrshorsy said:

Evening all

So I have seen a few people commenting that they request items that would have to be paid for to be removed from their room on arrival. Could I ask what these items might be as when I asked about it on the NCL website chat function I was told there would only be items in the fridge if I had requested them?

Thanks in advance 

You need to understand that some people who make comments haven't actually cruised post-covid - and things have changed.  In the past, the mini-fridge had things like cans of soda and bottles of alcohol.  Those things aren't there anymore.  Instead, there might be a couple of larger bottles that are clearly labeled that they are for purchase.  I know there was a carton of water, didn't pay attention to what the other things were.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Middleager said:

Upon arrival, I'd ask to meet the room stewart for an intro.  I'd give a tip (e.g. US$20 for upcoming 12d Panama canal cruise), and ask those stuff in the fridge to be removed.  If there are water bottles for purchase, to move those out too.

Yes, I asked the room steward to remove the items in the fridge as well. But, I've never tipped for that request and I've never had to ask for intro meeting. They usually have stopped by to say hello and asked me if I needed anything done to the room. So, I just asked them then. Usually really simple. Just did it again a few weeks ago on the Encore.

Edited by blueslily
  • Like 2

We are getting several things mixed up.  First, I have cruised twice post covid (Covid is still here so everyone knows what I mean).  In both cases, I had some "For Sale" items removed from my suite.  Others have commented that they made the same request and the Butler or Room Steward just left the items on the counter in the corner.  Again, my experience was they were out of the suite completely.

Second, you don't have to tip the Room Steward to do this task.  However if you choose to, that is up to you.  Tipping and when you tip is very personal.  I tip early, in the middle and late on a cruise.  I usually over tip because the crew did not have income for such a long time.  Do I suggest this, no.  My choice.  

The bottom line is when my children were young, they started drinking the sodas, back then they had other treats in the room which I don't see now.  I got the bill on my portfolio and felt it was unfair that the cruise lines did this for a couple of extra dollars.  Ever since, I had the stuff taken out.

Hope that provides an additional perspective. 

Cruise well everyone and enjoy every minute.  You deserve it.

• Like 1

In the past those nuisance items with an unpredictable shelf life and handled by how

many previous guests - hot and cold how many times this cycle was taken by previous

guests - cans of pop shaken not well stirred look out for the champagne spray !

MENU: Pepsi pop Mt. Dew some sort of canned beer lite and full body -

packaged cookies/crackers maybe a wine split or two -

and liquor miniatures (check the seal for tampering !)

Take it out - Take it out - take it ALL out and put what you want in its place !

3 hours ago, blueslily said:

Yes, I asked the room steward to remove the items in the fridge as well. But, I've never tipped for that request and I've never had to ask for intro meeting. They usually have stopped by to say hello and asked me if I needed anything done to the room. So, I just asked them then. Usually really simple. Just did it again a few weeks ago on the Encore.

I tip, it's my choice.  They work hard, and upon arrival I like to meet the room stewart rather than waiting, because we're not always in the room.  In the past not calling for them, we ended up not meeting them until some time even days into the cruise. 

The tip is of course not just for removing items for purchase.  They work hard.  We tip in the beginning, and also at the end of the cruise.  Our choice.

I was going to order the Water Package.  I didn't know if they had water for purchase in the fridge.

Anyone recall how much $  and how many bottles are there?

Edited by mafig

18 hours ago, mafig said:

I was going to order the Water Package.  I didn't know if they had water for purchase in the fridge.

Anyone recall how much $  and how many bottles are there?

The carton water was for $5, and only one piece was available. I don't remember the price of the fancy waters, but there was aslo a bottle of each. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/17/2022 at 11:57 PM, Middleager said:

I tip, it's my choice.  They work hard, and upon arrival I like to meet the room stewart rather than waiting, because we're not always in the room.  In the past not calling for them, we ended up not meeting them until some time even days into the cruise. 

The tip is of course not just for removing items for purchase.  They work hard.  We tip in the beginning, and also at the end of the cruise.  Our choice.

Fine. 

I tip as well when I want to. And, my experience, is that I see my steward soon. So, we each have our own experiences. I replied about mine.

Have a good weekend 

• Like 1

If you do remove and store the items from your fridge, it's a good idea to let your steward know. Once I forgot to tell my steward, and that item showed on our cabin account. It was quite a bit of work to have it removed. So, now I take items out, put them somewhere out of sight and out of the way, but always tell the steward. I also return them to the fridge the last evening of the cruise. No problems now.😎

Doug

2 hours ago, mlgb said:

In some cases one carton of water is yours for free, it's a substitute for no longer getting a bottle of champagne on your loyalty tier.

We are in the Haven, what do they do there?  Water?  They still give champagne (sparkling whatever) don't they?

7 hours ago, mlgb said:

In some cases one carton of water is yours for free, it's a substitute for no longer getting a bottle of champagne on your loyalty tier.

Absolutely not, they are different perks.  Everyone, bronze and up, used to get the bottle of champagne.  No longer doing this after the tier/benefits changes earlier this year.  The water is now - and has been -  a perk for Gold and up, 1 carton for gold/platinum, 2 for sapphire and up.

The carton in the refrigerator is NOT part of the latitudes perk.  It is much bigger and you have to pay for it.

We just got off the Getaway today. We had four cartons of water, two for each of us. I was looking for the bottle of sparkling wine which is usually in the cabin upon embarkation, but it was not provided -- no big loss. However, a couple of days later I happened to check the wine bucket and there was a bottle of  a pretty decent sauvignon blanc being chilled. Go figure. 

The cartons of water in the refrigerator and the free one were the same size, at least in my standard balcony cabin.  I sailed after the change, and was disappointed to get essentially zero perks, other than the discount on shore excursions. The cocktail party was cancelled due to COVID. It wasn't immediately clear that I was entitled to one carton of water, either. I had asked the steward to clear out the minibar and he left one carton. I later asked if it was mine for free, and the Latitudes rep at the counter said yes after I didn't get the memo about no cocktail party and complained about no free champagne. I didn't get charged for it. Maybe the steward made a mistake. You can look up the perks online, btw.  Oh yeah, not everyone is gold or higher.

Edited by mlgb

I had also asked the stwardto remove the items in the fridge, but he left a couple of bottles of water and one carton of the NCL water in a drawer, with the price tags attached. That carton was cost $5 and I believe it was a liter. The free ones we got were .5 liters.

In my pre-cruise letter I asked that the pay items be removed and they were just moved behind this pillar thing in the room. It was just two bottles of sparkling water and 1 L of the Just Water; they do have tags on them so that you know that those are the pay things. The refrigerator was empty.