Alaska: Skip Canada (Victoria) or Heavy Canadian Covid Protocols?

BoundForSea

We’re looking forward to our Alaska sailing early May. My question is this. Will they skip the scheduled short Canadian port stop on the last night to comply with the old legal requirement (this relief based on the temporary Bill passed by Congress last year still in effect) or will they make the stop and have to make us comply with the rigorous testing requirements set recently by the Canadians? This includes pre cruise test, port embarkation test, and another test on board prior to arrival in Canada. We’re finally coming out the other side of this so I’m personally really hoping they just decide to skip Canada and use the exemption and we just do the 48hr pre cruise test. 

If anyone has any word or info please share…

39 minutes ago, BoundForSea said:

We’re looking forward to our Alaska sailing early May. My question is this. Will they skip the scheduled short Canadian port stop on the last night to comply with the old legal requirement (this relief based on the temporary Bill passed by Congress last year still in effect) or will they make the stop and have to make us comply with the rigorous testing requirements set recently by the Canadians? This includes pre cruise test, port embarkation test, and another test on board prior to arrival in Canada. We’re finally coming out the other side of this so I’m personally really hoping they just decide to skip Canada and use the exemption and we just do the 48hr pre cruise test. 

First of all, the Canadian protocols may not align with yours, but they are far from "heavy handed." The government exemption was only for when Canada was closed to cruise ships and expires in April. It has not been extended and I do not see it being extended because Canada is open.
Second, the only test now required is pre-cruise. They did away with the pre-arrival test yesterday. Norwegian no longer does port embarkation tests. That ended on March 1. You are responsible for testing no sooner than 2 days prior to embarkation per the Sail Safe protocols currently in place. 
Third, they still require the form be filled out prior to arrival, but even Canadians have to fill it out. So there's that. 

It's not that big of a deal. Don't make it so. 

Edited by Uff da
  • Like 9

I believe that, like last fall, there will be a Hail Mary that will allow cruising to resume as planned. Too much money is on the line. In addition to the two scenarios described above, there is still plenty of time for Canada to change their “heavy handed” policy and poof. this entire discussion is null and void. 

best to you bound! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JT1962 said:

No.

Canada is dropping the requirement for testing to enter the country for vaccinated passengers.

However, testing is still required for cruise ship passengers.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/domestic-travel

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

No.

Canada is dropping the requirement for testing to enter the country for vaccinated passengers.

My understanding for my cruise that leaves Seattle in May is I will only need the standard pre-cruise Covid test required by the cruise line and will be able to get off in Victoria without an additional test. I guess we will know for sure in a few weeks when the first ships sail. 

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/national/coronavirus/2022/3/17/1_5823384.html

CRUISE SHIPS

Transport Minister Omar Alghabra said during Thursday's announcement that when the season starts in early April, cruise passengers will still be required to take an antigen test in order to board a ship no more than one day before their scheduled departure, but will no longer need to be tested before getting off the ship.

Edited by JT1962

Yes, you are correct. I am referring for cruises that embark at a Canadian port.

I am providing a link to a thread I started on the Celebrity forums that contains links to the Canadian information.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2838913-testing-still-required-for-canadian-cruises

Edited by Homosassa

11 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I believe that, like last fall, there will be a Hail Mary that will allow cruising to resume as planned. Too much money is on the line. In addition to the two scenarios described above, there is still plenty of time for Canada to change their “heavy handed” policy and poof. this entire discussion is null and void. 

best to you bound! 

Thanks all. Appreciate the updated info which is why I asked the question. Apparently my information was a month or two old. 

Best to you Bound! 👍

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Homosassa said:

No.

That may be true today, but things are changing rapidly. Soooo many countries are opening wide up, including no longer requiring vaccination, let alone testing. Canada will fall in line. 

5 minutes ago, BoundForSea said:

Thanks all. Appreciate the updated info which is why I asked the question. Apparently my information was a month or two old. 

Best to you Bound! 👍

Seriously, the rules are changing so quick it's hard for anyone to keep up. If I see anything new I'll try to update this thread for you :).

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

That may be true today, but things are changing rapidly. Soooo many countries are opening wide up, including no longer requiring vaccination, let alone testing. Canada will fall in line. 

Seriously, the rules are changing so quick it's hard for anyone to keep up. If I see anything new I'll try to update this thread for you :).

Maybe. But as of right now, anyone cruising from a Canadian port needs to be aware of the testing requirements and that the time frames may not match those of the cruise line and be more restrictive.

With the Alaska season opening up in April and Canada providing a way for cruises to go to them, odds are highly against Alaska cruises being able to skip Canada again. I would not count on it. 

All cruise lines should start releasing protocols for Canada sailings soon. They're probably in the process of talking with Canada to get clarity. They're probably hoping to not have to reverse itineraries. 

Edited by smplybcause

The Canadian government probably got plenty of pressure from business and political leaders in Victoria and Vancouver about the more millions they'd lose if ships had to test everyone on board before a short Victoria stop, and I doubt Canadian customs wants to check vaccine and test status for 5,000 passengers a day in Vancouver and Victoria. There's just too much at stake, especially with a bill in the wings to make the PVSA exemption permanent. Fortunately there will be plenty of test cases in April and early May as coastal cruises arrive in Victoria and Vancouver, so things should get ironed out--I'll be doing Victoria/Vancouver stops in late April, which I didn't book until I saw that 1-day testing requirements had been dropped. The problem will be that Canada will still require vaccine info updated in their app, which will be a problem if you try to get thousands of tech-limited cruise passengers trying to download and fill in an unfamiliar app, especially if they don't buy a wifi plan. My guess is that it will just be the ship's responsibility to ensure that everyone fills in the app, just as before everyone had to fill out a Canadian customs form before stopping at Victoria, but nobody checked it when getting off the ship, since it would have been impractible and unprofitable for all the tour operators eager to get the hordes off to Butchart Gardens on a short stop. 

On 3/19/2022 at 8:48 PM, smplybcause said:

With the Alaska season opening up in April and Canada providing a way for cruises to go to them, odds are highly against Alaska cruises being able to skip Canada again. I would not count on it. 

It has nothing to do with odds. It is illegal for foreign ships to operate out of US ports without an international port call. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

It has nothing to do with odds. It is illegal for foreign ships to operate out of US ports without an international port call. 

I know that. That's why I said "skip Canada again" which is a reference to the one time bill that was passed for last year. People keep thinking a bill will come in at last minute this year, but the odds are against it. 

25 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

People keep thinking a bill will come in at last minute this year, but the odds are against it. 

Yeah, but it happened once and I think there are folks that don't want to (again) be at Canada's mercy.  It was a rubber stamped, near unanimous voice vote.  Why?  Because, contrary to popular belief, the folks in Washington welcome bi-partisan non-controversial legislation that can provide some semblance of "progress."

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Yeah, but it happened once and I think there are folks that don't want to (again) be at Canada's mercy.  It was a rubber stamped, near unanimous voice vote.  Why?  Because, contrary to popular belief, the folks in Washington welcome bi-partisan non-controversial legislation that can provide some semblance of "progress."

It was rubber stamped in more or less an emergency situation. If it wasn't so specific, so short term, and covid relief it wouldn't have. The issue is complex and can't just be waived away easily. It's more than just rewriting one part of the PVSA. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Why?  Because it was proposed as a covid relief measure, at the same time as other covid relief and assistance measures were being passed.  If it were brought up again (and all of this year's bills have gone to committee, unlike last year's, and one of the sponsors has died), since nearly all covid relief has been ended, that argument goes out the window.  I'm pretty sure that if these bills ever get a hearing in committee, that State (visa issues) and Homeland (USCG and CBP issues) would be aired, and would be significant.  That is even before maritime labor and the PVSA fleet industry are heard from.  Progress for you means job loss for tens of thousands of US citizens.

44 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Progress for you means job loss for tens of thousands of US citizens.

Relax.  If Canada again tries to stand in the way of AK cruises, than another temp work around would HELP thousands of US citizens.  I'm really not understanding what part of my post got you so worked up.  You may wish to read it again.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Relax.  If Canada again tries to stand in the way of AK cruises, than another temp work around would HELP thousands of US citizens.  I'm really not understanding what part of my post got you so worked up.  You may wish to read it again.

So, why should a Federal act benefit two states, Alaska and Washington, while other states that have cruises should not get a similar benefit?  California, all the East Coast, the Gulf Coast?  Not sure that act last year would be found to be Constitutional if challenged.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2022 at 9:54 AM, Homosassa said:

No.

this is good news.  I do not mind testing for the ship but to test again to get off and walk around when folks can fly in or drive in, well just glad they changed.   

2 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Canada standing in the way of AK cruises?  You realize the PVSA is US legislation and Canada is under no obligation to facilitate cruises out of US ports.  Don't take the posturing of AK politicians too literally... it's meant for voter consumption, not as a realistic view of the world.

20 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

If Canada tried to stop the Alaska cruises from their ports, I believe the next exception by congress would be permanent.

Again, why should Alaska be singled out for preferential treatment?

1 hour ago, d9704011 said:

Canada standing in the way of AK cruises?

Yes.

1 hour ago, d9704011 said:

Don't take the posturing of AK politicians too literally... it's meant for voter consumption, not as a realistic view of the world.

No, it's not.  It was very real for me, and many like me, who were able to enjoy an AK cruise last year despite the "standing in the way" by Canada.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2022 at 1:06 AM, BoundForSea said:

You're behind the times.  The US has stricter entry requirements than Canada as of April 1.

• Like 1