Windjammer back to self-service

I use a knife and fork to eat anything on my plate . I never touch the food with my hands after handling the serving utensils. 

I eat a muffin with a knife and fork. 

If i eat a piece of pizza with my hands i dont eat the crust where i held it .

And i dont eat any bread . Goes for hamburgers and hot dogs too .

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

With the lowered CDC guidelines.....when will the Windjammer go back to self-service?

The current situation is ridiculous as you never get the right food or amount of food - it feels like a prison canteen where the slap the food randomly on your plate!

Please report when this is back to self-service!

Thanks

Being dramatic much? For one thing they DO NOT slap the food on the plate at least not on the last 12 cruises since the restart and neither in the last 3 weeks. If you want more or less just tell them and they are happy to oblige. If you don’t like it there are other places to eat or ask for what you want. I hope it stays the way it is. Have you been in a prison canteen? Just saying. 🐝🐝🐝

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 6

21 hours ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

With the lowered CDC guidelines.....when will the Windjammer go back to self-service?

The current situation is ridiculous as you never get the right food or amount of food - it feels like a prison canteen where the slap the food randomly on your plate!

Thanks

Hopefully NEVER!  We love the new format! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Goodtimes57 said:

Can anyone explain why Royal can not cook bacon properly? It's a 1st world cruise problem. 

I like bacon cooked many ways…thin crispy, thick, not so crispy…that’s how it works. 

Edited by PTC DAWG

I personally detest the current system. That being said, I'm not a germophobe  by any means. The back up in the lines is annoying as is the difficulty trying to communicate the serving size and particular selection of items.

• Haha 1

While we’re talking about Windjammer, the app still shows breakfast and lunch only. 
I had promised my DH that Zi would go with him to WJ for dinner one night. 
That was 2 years ago and again last March. We’re finally getting to cruise, hopefully, and he reminded me of my promise. 
Has anyone been on Harmony lately, and is Windjammer closed for dinner?

17 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

I am just picturing the eye rolling of the passengers behind me in line, while I say, "No, not that one.  The third one under there, over there!  NO, THERE!"  😄 😄 😄 

That's when you turn around and tell them what I tell customers at my register at work when they worry about holding up the line. . ."This is your spot until you're done with it.  They'll get the same consideration."  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

But I want to pick out MY OWN extra crispy bacon!  None of that limp, undercooked stuff!

😉  😄

When i saw the new procedures, it’s the first thing I thought of!  “Sir/Madam, can you please look on bottom of the limp undercooked bacon and get me some crispy bacon!  Pieces are ok!”  

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

I am just picturing the eye rolling of the passengers behind me in line, while I say, "No, not that one.  The third one under there, over there!  NO, THERE!"  😄 😄 😄 

The crispy bacon in the WJ is the one thing I can’t for on a cruise!  I will go to different stations to find/hunt for the crispy ones!  That and the made to order omelette station!  

8 hours ago, flamingos said:

I will go back to using hand sanitizer at my table after each trip to the buffet, which is what I always did before.  

Noro doesn't care about your hand sanitizer... 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jagsfan said:

While we’re talking about Windjammer, the app still shows breakfast and lunch only. 
I had promised my DH that Zi would go with him to WJ for dinner one night. 
That was 2 years ago and again last March. We’re finally getting to cruise, hopefully, and he reminded me of my promise. 
Has anyone been on Harmony lately, and is Windjammer closed for dinner?

We had dinner twice in WJ on Liberty two weeks back.  Hopefully just a glitch in the app for your sailing.

14 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

I still miss the real Plates and the oversized trays WJ use to have, was easier to carry my Bowls, Plates and Drinks to my Table. As a SOLO traveler takes me 3-4 trips to get everything to my Table or back to my Cabin

I saw someone who brought their own tray with them... I have thought about bringing a tray with me, more for hotels But I could see me grabbing WJ and bringing it back to the cabin too 
Just something you might want to think about

• Like 2

I haven't cruised since the pandemic, but will on 4/2 on the Symphony.  I haven't experienced the staff served WJ but think I won't have an issue with it.

I have a bigger issue with people leaving the bathroom and not washing their hands.

I also bring hand sanitizer to the MDR and after handling the menus, use it liberally before eating.

RE: people who cannot wash their hands after bathroom and blowing their noses.  I am a retirered  nurse and notice all the breaks in sanitation.  After touching handrails, elevator buttons, and just about anything else handled by the masses, I wash, sanitize or something before eating.  Cannot abide people not doing the most simple, basic things to prevent spread of any germs.  Ugh.  My rant for the day.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, sandc4e said:

Hopefully NEVER!  We love the new format! 

Did you read the comment I posted earlier today on this thread?

We boarded Oasis today and Windjammer was mainly self serve😰

Edited by D4
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, D4 said:

Did you read the comment I posted earlier today on this thread?

We boarded Oasis today and Windjammer was mainly self serve.

I read it and was disappointed. 😞 tho I know you were not directing this to me... 
Guess I will go back to not eating at WJ unless its carved, something served or omelettes

Edited by LilBlackDress
  • Like 2

I haven’t cruised since the pandemic, but I think it is a good idea to keep the food served by employees.

When I was in a upper-class German hotel last year, they had self-service and they forced you to wear gloves made out of fabric, hence washable. This might be a great idea for Windjammer as well.

4 minutes ago, andreasfcb said:

When I was in a upper-class German hotel last year, they had self-service and they forced you to wear gloves made out of fabric, hence washable. This might be a great idea for Windjammer as well.

Probably not.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/19/2022 at 8:11 PM, cruiseboy89130 said:

Thanks

Which cruises have you had this experience on? We have been on 5 cruises, including one last week, and enjoy being served. We always got the right food and the right amount of food. 

I did not mind being served, but passenger census is still low.  Once they get close to full capacity, I am not sure the servers will be able to keep up with demand, which may cause lines and congestion.  The experience will then be far less pleasant.

44 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

I did not mind being served, but passenger census is still low.  Once they get close to full capacity, I am not sure the servers will be able to keep up with demand, which may cause lines and congestion.  The experience will then be far less pleasant.

It was reported earlier in the thread that the Oasis was back to self serve WJ as of today.  Obviously many are skimming over this fact.  RCI bled millions because of Covid and anyway they can cut costs and get things back to how they were before Covid, they will do it.  Many people will be upset over this because they liked being served and the many positives that went along with it.

Many will have to adapt or pivot when it comes to their WJ choices, like it or not.

• Thanks 1